Emergency repair kits - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #29

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Red face Towing in the real world has its moments

Our trailer and car have same size tires so carry a radial type intertube for emergency use this is only temp fix for worst case. With full tow package you get a full size tire spare instead of donut so you can use it temp if needed. Smaller trailers will not have our tire size. Ours is a 17' with single offset axle so large size tire. The larger size trailer tires are not available in all stores. Would use the spare at back of trailer first though and the spare in trunk for car first.

With full size spare can tow; with donut not so.

We ordered our car new with tow package

Trailer package included:
- hitch with plain draw bar it has about 7" rise
- full size spare tire * * * * great to have change and still tow
- 7 pin wire harness and brake module
- better rad
- extra safety systems
- computer can sense the trailer and changes shift pattern; only down side is when you unhook the trailer it takes a little time to go back to the other shift pattern mileage is lowered but uphill power and passing power is increased
- may include more not sure (heard hd alternator is sometimes included)

We upgraded:
- hitch to class 3 with wd system
- wiring module with dedicated power connection (other one burnt as it could not take the load told Toyota dealer the gave us a new module and would have installed it but it under warranty did not have the dedicated power wire so we took the free unit as a spare but did not have it installed)

Added:
- transaxle cooler added
- sway bar

Main items in the tow package can be retro fitted to any TV

If you have a donut car spare maybe a full size tire will fit in its place?

p.s was told in US and some other places the tow package may not be the same.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
After plug and patch would have the tire rebalanced as soon as possible

Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #31

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If you required a torque wrench, vehicles to include trailers would come with one.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #32
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
If you required a torque wrench, vehicles to include trailers would come with one.
Just curious here. Does that mean if you required blankets or a sleeping bag, all trailers would come with them? Or if you required a hitch for towing, all vehicles would come with them? Or if you need to eat when camping, all trailers would come with dishes and flatware? As I see things, unless it is the law (trailer brakes over a certain weight, safety chains, etc.) you are not required anything. Bedding materials, hitches, dishes, and torque wrenches are optional items. Most manufacturers publish torque specifications for various fasteners for a reason, but you are not required to heed them. Then again, get in an accident where a wheel falls off. I can almost guarantee the insurance adjuster will check the torque of the remaining lug nuts because that is what insurance companies do......they find reasons to deny claims because it was over-torqued or under-torqued. It is also what litigators do in civil suits. Some people run their refrigerators on propane going down the road. Perhaps it is an "accepted practice," but don't think there won't be a giant lawsuit if someone else gets injured as a result. Having seen wheels come off due to loose nuts, and having seen studs break as a result of too much tension, I will follow the manufacturer's recommendations whether or not the vehicle or trailer comes with a torque wrench because that is what I choose to do, as do many of the other respondents to this thread, other RVers, and a large number of automotive repair facilities, including tire shops. Anyone who chooses otherwise is entitled to do as they please but any implication that someone who follows manufacturer's recommendations is doing something unnecessary is an unjustified attack on someone else's personal opinions.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #33

It is one of those discussions on this site that brings out strong opinions. Grounds on the camper is another one. Cars co e with a lug wrench and a manual in the glove box that explains how to use it but they do not come with a torque wrench.

Me: I Always chech the lug nuts B 4 going on a trip. I also have tire monitors on the tow and camper that tell me the pressure and temp of each tire and everytime I stop, I check the temp of heach hub with an IR thermometer.

Using a torque wrench, I don't but I agree that if that is what you want to do, go ahead, I don care and I will not bad mouth you for doing it.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Darwin,

Like you I also have temperature and pressure sensors on my trailer tires, I did not mention them as a tool but do feel comfortable having them. As well we have a camera on the back of our trailer that communicates to the tow vehicle whose behind us.

This site is about relating and sharing experiences, individual readers, from the information here, can make conscious choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #35

Norm and ginny, I didn't mention that I also have a camera that takes viedo while we drve that when played back on a pc gives the time and GPS of the picture. It has a G Sgock feature that automatically locks the information during an accident. Used that function last year when I was rearended and it clearly showed that I did not slam on my brakes as the other driver said I did. You can purchase o e without the GPS function for less than $30 and the GPS model for around $ 70.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Flashlight is generally available but I have a small LED one in both the first aid and the tool kit. Also a couple of glow sticks which are safe around leaking fuel since they are not electric but chemical there is no chance of a spark.

Needle nose, and diagonal cutting pliers. I think some of the pocket tools mentioned may have a needle nose like pliers. And +1 on some good strong steel wire.

Spare bulbs, just because it is annoying to stop in a rest area, find out you burned out a bulb and have to make an extra stop. If you wear glasses one of those eyeglass repair kits is cheap insurance.

Plugging a tire is what tire stores would routinely do years ago. Was considered better than a patch glued on the inside. The doped rope like material that was pushed through the hole would actually bond with the rubber from the tire heat. Could not be "flung off" by the tire rotation or going over bumps.

The cheap torque wrenches that just have a long needle that moves across a plate with numbers are good breaker bars, and ok torque wrenches. I would not use my good ratchet "click" torque wrench as a breaker bar.

Or you could go with if it moves and shouldn't then duct tape, if it don't move and should WD40, with a backup of a couple of cards, roadside assistance and credit card.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #37

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have added slime to my tire repair kit. It is a green slime that you put into the tire it will plug a hole up to 1/4".

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #38

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I have added slime to my tire repair kit. It is a green slime that you put into the tire it will plug a hole up to 1/4".

Three things about those self inflating tire sealers.

They generally don't have the pressure to inflate the tire fully with weight of vehicle on it. Need to jack it up before using them. Don't ask how I know, that was a long walk to the gas station... twice.

Drive on the tire to distribute the material around the inside. Avoid the sealant becoming a lump that unbalances the tire and allow sealant to fully coat the leak as it dries.

Tell the tire shop that you used the product, some are flammable or can be messy when they dismount the tire. They may also need to replace the tire fill valve stem to avoid problems from the sealant gumming it up.

The do work and if you don't have or don't want to carry a 12 volt compressor they provide a way to inflate the repaired flat from a can. Just have to take into account a few things.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #39

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Emergency repair kits

RogerDat..... Slime is not a self inflating tire substance. You jack up the car/trailer remove the valve stem put it in the tire replace the valve stem spin the tire then inflate the tire, spin it again and drive off.
It was designed for off road vehicles where punchers are quite frequent. I have it in all 4 of my ATV tires and my mountain bike tires. Since I added it to them I have not had to fix a flat. I would no recommend running down the highway all the time with it in all of your tires but it is a great way to fix a flat in a emergency. Like when you already used your spare.