Emptying the Porta Potti - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #57

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Or your downwind / downhill neighbor
I didn't say I had neighbors. Oooooohh, that's where they went--I mean I went.

jack

Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #58

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I am lucky in my newest house, there is a free running artesian well that empties into a small pond right next to my driveway (and on my property, so the water is mine mine mine). So if I lose power, I might freeze, my food might all spoil in my fridge, but I will be able to flush indefinitely!!
Our neck of the woods has lot of granite under foot. We get our share of cloud to ground lightening strikes. Also lots of pine trees that tend to load up with ice when those storms move through, The limbs break and tear down power lines. Got discouraged with loss of power for a few hours to several days.

We bought a 4000 (5000 surge) watt "Generac" generator several years ago, from Home Depot. It sure has come in handy in power outages. It won't run the entire house at once, but it will run most everything one or two at a time. Good to keep the fridge and freezer functioning.
Of course having power for the TV is nice.

We keep the circuit breaker for the Well turned off until we "need" water, for refilling containers (including the tubs), taking showers, flushing toilets and such. Because the 2 hp pump pulls a lot of voltage on start up and anything else running at that time is just too much for the gen.

Kind of like camping!

Kip

Old 07-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #59

Name: Pam
Trailer: 2004 Escape 17A
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

This is not the topic I would have chosen for my initial post, however after spending some time reading through this thread, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents worth.

We recently purchased a second hand Escape 17A which came complete with a Thetford Porta Potti. Having never used/emptied/cleaned one before, I was unsure of what to expect. To my relief, it has turned out to be very simple and straightforward so am a bit mystified/fascinated by some of the posts in this thread.

Here is my experience as a new 'user'

Neither my husband nor I have noticed any odour, and he especially has a highly sensitive sniffer. I use a liquid deodorizer/digester which seems to be very effective at eliminating odors, as well as breaking down solid wastes, and keeping the bowl clean and everything functioning as it should. It is environmentally safe and 100% biodegradable.

For those with toilet tissue issues: are you using RV TT which breaks down more easily than the regular toilet tissue?

We empty after about every second or third night of use, and have not had any need to be 'hands on (or in) when emptying into either a pit or regular toilet. I carefully turn the 'chimney' of the holding tank upwards and slowly invert over the toilet, letting all the contents flow out. I have not experienced splash - which is why I tip slowly. Then I add fresh water (carefully avoiding touching the water tap) via the chimney, slosh it around a bit, then pour out. That usually brings out any remaining lumps A second rinse is seldom needed. Now, I just put in fresh water to cover the bottom of the holding tank along with some "Zyme Out", reattach the top tank, add water and "Zyme Out" to the fresh water tank, and we're good to go again (pun intended!)

It has been simple, odor/problem-free and quick.

Sorry if I was a little long-winded. It has taken longer to write about emptying/cleaning than to actually do it,
Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome Pam! Where do you get Zyme Out? I've never heard of it before...
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #61

Name: Pam
Trailer: 2004 Escape 17A
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
Welcome Pam! Where do you get Zyme Out? I've never heard of it before...

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome! I purchased it at our local RV center, and have only just looked at it origins and discovered that it is a locally made product (Abbotsford, BC) so I'm not sure how widely available it is. What I can say is that it seems to do the job very effectively, is easy to use (just pour a bit into the tanks), and is not expensive. It's full name is Westchem RV Zyme-Out.

Here is a link to the website Westchem Industrial Water Treatment
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #62

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Hi Kip!

Uh, not quite yet---BUT---we're in the last stretch! We have a rally planned on Aug.5-7 at Weston Bend St. Park in Missouri. So a week from tomorrow Bean will be loaded and on the road---ready or not!

Then in Sept. we're headed to Arkansas for the rally there. I see camping in my future!!!

Vickie

PS--like the Ridgeline very much---but haven't towed with it much except from storage place to home several times.
Please let us know how it goes. You surely are getting excited right about now.

Kip
Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 PM   #63

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I actually empty it into my neighbors tree line in their yard. Better than emptying it in our toilet. Just a suggestion.