End of the Line for Netscape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Information for those using the Netscape browser.

End of the Line Approaching for Netscape Browser

As webguy has mentioned in other posts, FiberglassRV works very well with Mozilla Firefox and we recommend its use, download here: Mozilla Firefox
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Netscape was originally a Mozilla "Product", so Firefox is the latest (It's been around for years tho) version by the originators.

I use it exclusively.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Interesting article. I can't remember when I first got on the net, probably right after IE was released. I remember our dial up was 7.99 a month. I wish DSL was that cheap!

I use Firefox too, it works great for me.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Interesting article. I can't remember when I first got on the net, probably right after IE was released. I remember our dial up was 7.99 a month. I wish DSL was that cheap!

I use Firefox too, it works great for me.
I switched to firefox when IE was having security problems (which I guess they now have fixed). It works... I'm fine with it.

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I have Mozzilla Firefox on all three of my computers, .... 1 Windows XP Desktop, .... 1 Apple MacBook Notebook, ..... and a Linux based Asus Notebook.

It became my browser of choice some time ago. It has all of the features of IE plus more, and it's very stable

As you can tell, I'm very pleased with it, and I believe anyone switching to Firefox will be very pleased, .... especially since it's a free download.

http://www.couponmountain.com/Firefox.html
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
and a Linux based Asus Notebook.
Eee!
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Back 'in the day' my dept supported about 300 (legal) copies of Netscape Navigator, WordPerfect and Multiplan and even though they were superior products - when Bill Gates began to provide IE, MS Word and MS Excel for FREE ... well within 6 months we had business license for more than 600 copies of the MS junk.

The MS stuff has gotten better over the years, and it is easy for someone who knows one to learn another - but it sure is not free anymore!

Bottom line ... he must have done something right$$$$$

Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Eee!
Yes, ....... a very good little workhorse, ... very portable,.... very easy to use, ...... good battery life.

But, ... for more pocketability, .... I just ordered a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet. very small, very light.

LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Back 'in the day' my dept supported about 300 (legal) copies of Netscape Navigator, WordPerfect and Multiplan and even though they were superior products - when Bill Gates began to provide IE, MS Word and MS Excel for FREE ... well within 6 months we had business license for more than 600 copies of the MS junk.

The MS stuff has gotten better over the years, and it is easy for someone who knows one to learn another - but it sure is not free anymore!

Bottom line ... he must have done something right$$$$$

Don

FYI -- The full name for Multiplan was MS Multiplan.. (Microsoft product).
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
FYI -- The full name for Multiplan was MS Multiplan.. (Microsoft product).
Thanks Byron. now that you remind me - I knew that. Wow, that has to be at 18 - 20 years ago!

Don
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Byron. now that you remind me - I knew that. Wow, that has to be at 18 - 20 years ago!

Don
Probably a bit more. Closer to 20 - 25 years ago, I think. I was running MS Multiplan on an Commador 64 in the days before browsers and it was out performing in some ways Lotus 123 on a 8086 PC. Since you're talking long time ago, or not so long ago depending on your age. Before the browsers there was Bulletin Boards, Usenet, and Telnet. And Prodigy, Compuserve, America On Line dial up services using 1200 baud modems.

OK OK, enough. I'm showing my age.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Before the browsers there was Bulletin Boards, Usenet, and Telnet. And Prodigy, Compuserve, America On Line dial up services using 1200 baud modems.
OK OK, enough. I'm showing my age.
Well at least you didn't go back to the ARPANET (predecessor to the Internet or Internet beginning depending upon what expert is talking). I became involved shortly after the original four universities were online and had two teletype compatable terminals. The fast one was 150 baud and only Stanford would support that high speed traffic.
Anyway, pardon the senior moment ...
Don
Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Well at least you didn't go back to the ARPANET (predecessor to the Internet or Internet beginning depending upon what expert is talking). I became involved shortly after the original four universities were online and had two teletype compatable terminals. The fast one was 150 baud and only Stanford would support that high speed traffic.
Anyway, pardon the senior moment ...
Don
Ya! let's forget ARPANET, and using a teletype for computer terminal and Dartmouth Basic and GE Mark II and Mark III.
That must have been a souped up teletype. The ones I used were at 110 Baud.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #14

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
another firefox user here.. i really like it
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I've made the transition from Netscape from Mac.Mail and I like Mac.Mail more.

Of course, it helps to be a Mac person.

Ron Mayo
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
What a coincidence, the end of the line for Netscape and then in today's Memphis newspaper this story.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Barksdales give to Ole Miss
Ex-Netscape head donates $12.8 million to alma mater

By Cassandra Kimberly

Sunday, January 13, 2008

With the help of former Netscape president and CEO James L. Barksdale, the University of Mississippi is nearing its goal to raise $200 million through the university's "MomentUM" campaign.

Barksdale and his wife, Donna, announced a $12.8 million donation to the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College.

"Through this gift, we will expand the range of educational opportunities provided by the Honors College," Barksdale said in a prepared statement from Ole Miss.

The donation is the Mississippi grad's fourth major gift to the Honors College, which he and his late wife, Sally, founded in 1996 with a $5.4 million grant. She died in 2003 after a five-month battle with colon cancer.

The Honors College, which is home to some 670 academically outstanding undergraduates, plans to reach a maximum enrollment of 1,000 students.

The donation brings the total raised through the university-wide "MomentUM" campaign to more than $160 million. The money will fund scholarships and be used to build new facilities and colleges on the campus. The campaign began four years ago and ends in December.

The Honors College will use the Barksdales' new contribution to increase the number of scholarships from 14 to 21, expand course offerings and increase staff over the next five years.

"This recent gift ... will enable us to continue to attract the state's most high-performing students and provide them with a vibrant center of academic excellence," said university Chancellor Robert Khayat.

The Barksdales have given generously to charitable endeavors in Mississippi. In 2000, the couple donated $100 million to establish The Barksdale Reading Institute to battle illiteracy in the state.

Donations such as the Barksdales' are critical in the continued growth and expansion of the Honors College, Barbara Lago, director of media and public relations for Ole Miss, said Saturday.

"Without this donation we wouldn't be able to offer the range of courses," she said. "It's a phenomenal program, and we want to get as many bright Mississippi kids in there as we can."
Scripps Lighthouse

© 2008 Scripps Newspaper Group</span>

Harold