EPIC ROAD TRIP! - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
EPIC ROAD TRIP!

I’ve been slow to post this because after 8 days and 3,767 miles I needed sleep and the Scamp needs to be put away for winter. I drove through 13 states, included the ‘Tail of the Dragon” and found the whole east coast to be a no parking zone. Having at one point said “NEVER AGAIN” I already have next year’s epic road trip in mind. Below is one of my tracker maps (I run three systems) and some random notes from the trip.

I have now been in 46 of the lower 48 states and get to put 5 more stickers on my map. Let me tell you that ALL states have bad highways, and some are beyond bad.

I have always driven 60+ MPH due to cheap tires that Scamps come with and gotten 15 MPG. This year I put on good tires and drove 70+ MPH and got 12 MPG for the trip.

I have an I-PASS for tolls, I asked about Florida tolls and Illinois told me that it covered all the eastern states including Florida. I’m told that Florida will mail me the $100 fine if they got a photograph of my plate because Florida SUN PASS will not honor I-pass.

With record heat the refrigerator had its work to do! This is my fourth RV refrigerator and they all are doing well to keep the temperature 40 degrees below ambient temperature. After a week of use for refrigerator and water heater, I had used 1.6 gallons of LP gas. The wheel hubs ran about 35 degrees above ambient temperature.

The Scamp 16 is my third RV. The roads in this country damaged both of the first two. Frame/hitch damage, interior falling off the walls, outside sheeting coming off, and many small things. The Scamp took the punishment and the only thing I could find wrong was a bend in the threaded rod that holds the LP gas tanks on.

Next summers trips are all just ideas currently, but in January the planning begins. I will get to states 47 and 48 for sure, enjoy other smaller trips and by this time next year the Scamp will be for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
MAP1.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Nice map... APRS?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
APRS

yes, a Kenwood 710. There are holes in the system but it is open and free to the public. I also have an Iphone and a Trak4. The later two need AT&T. So the three systems are on me, the truck, and the Scamp. I give people APRS.FI and tell them to look for ac0gv.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I’ve been slow to post this because after 8 days and 3,767 miles I needed sleep and the Scamp needs to be put away for winter. I drove through 13 states, included the ‘Tail of the Dragon” and found the whole east coast to be a no parking zone. Having at one point said “NEVER AGAIN” I already have next year’s epic road trip in mind. Below is one of my tracker maps (I run three systems) and some random notes from the trip.

I have now been in 46 of the lower 48 states and get to put 5 more stickers on my map. Let me tell you that ALL states have bad highways, and some are beyond bad.

I have always driven 60+ MPH due to cheap tires that Scamps come with and gotten 15 MPG. This year I put on good tires and drove 70+ MPH and got 12 MPG for the trip.

I have an I-PASS for tolls, I asked about Florida tolls and Illinois told me that it covered all the eastern states including Florida. I’m told that Florida will mail me the $100 fine if they got a photograph of my plate because Florida SUN PASS will not honor I-pass.

With record heat the refrigerator had its work to do! This is my fourth RV refrigerator and they all are doing well to keep the temperature 40 degrees below ambient temperature. After a week of use for refrigerator and water heater, I had used 1.6 gallons of LP gas. The wheel hubs ran about 35 degrees above ambient temperature.

The Scamp 16 is my third RV. The roads in this country damaged both of the first two. Frame/hitch damage, interior falling off the walls, outside sheeting coming off, and many small things. The Scamp took the punishment and the only thing I could find wrong was a bend in the threaded rod that holds the LP gas tanks on.

Next summers trips are all just ideas currently, but in January the planning begins. I will get to states 47 and 48 for sure, enjoy other smaller trips and by this time next year the Scamp will be for sale.
<_<Sounds like you were just racing down highways to drive through states. What's the point in doing all this at the speeds you drove which is not really safe with a small trailer? You've damaged 2 previous trailers. The clue to the damage is the speeds you're going and your Scamp will be damaged also. Why punish a trailer? RV's are for relaxing and travel not racing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
Scamping

Scamping means different things to different people. If I wanted to park in the trees and read a book I’d stay home, that’s the way I live every day. I travel to see and experience new and different things. I spent time with friends in Indiana, ran the "Tail of the Dragon", spent time at the “CROSSROADS” and spent three days in Florida at two state parks and attended a family reunion. I can spend a day packing, two days at a campground and 2 days cleaning any time I want. But now and then an “epic road trip” calls.
Attached Thumbnails
10_site4.jpg  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Ohio
370 miles a day on average. Impressive. I’m guessing that ended up being 8 hours a day, at least, from leaving your site to arriving at your next one. To run the A/C down south you probably needed electricity to plug into which implies to me a planned destination. Impressive indeed. I'm glad you had a good time.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
70 mph with a trailer......that's moving! Ya gotta do what you gotta do......way to fast for me....60 mph tops for me.....like to relax...see the sights....not in a hurry. Hope you had fun.....safe travels down the road.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 AM   #8
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
“I have an I-PASS for tolls, I asked about Florida tolls and Illinois told me that it covered all the eastern states including Florida. I’m told that Florida will mail me the $100 fine if they got a photograph of my plate because Florida SUN PASS will not honor I-pass.”

I am guessing you mean the EZ-Pass compatible systems in many states. EZ-Pass is honored in certain parts of Florida. And no, you will not be fined. You will be sent a bill with a small surcharge to cover the postal and processing fees. The fine only comes into play if you do not pay the toll in a “reasonable” period of time. And, BTW, neither Wisconsin nor any of the I-Pass states will honor my Sunpass. That is why I also have an EZ-Pass from New Hampshire, which does work in Illinois which I am also guessing is why you refer to I (for Illinois) Pass. However, bear in mind that Florida is working toward compatibility with EZ-Pass at some point in the future. Rather than “asking Illinois” which toll transponders are compatible with Florida’s highway infrastructure, I would suggest Google would be a much better source of this type of information. FWIW, much of the Orlando area (the most popular tourist destination in Florida) is compatible with EZ-Pass.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
3767÷8=470.9 If it's tuesday this must be Alabama. Sounds like you had a good time, so why not! Thanks for posting.

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote