Escape 17 & Microwave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Airstream 16 ft OB
Where in the Escape 17 can a microwave oven be installed that also has AC? My understanding is that the AC is located just above the refrigerator, a typical spot for a microwave.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Where in the Escape 17 can a microwave oven be installed that also has AC? My understanding is that the AC is located just above the refrigerator, a typical spot for a microwave.
We have a 2007 Escape 17 Plan B (with AC). There is room for a large microwave oven on top of the wardrobe.

Ken Tucker
Ken Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Ken.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

Ken - I see now the flat surface that you are talking about but it doesn't seem like an optimum location for a microwave, apparently the only location in an Escape though. Unfortunately the lack of a rooftop AC is closing the door on us giving an Escape 17 further consideration. Too bad because it has so many merits that would make it a worthy contender.

What's the chance that Escape would bring their design up to date and strengthen the roof for an AC?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Zeb.....

I have been reading your comments and can appreciate the challenges of finding 'the perfect' RV for your needs.

When I first designed the Escape, A/C was not an available option. I didn't receive much of a demand for A/C however, enough that I redesigned the fridge cabinet to accomodate a small but effective unit (8000 btu) to meet the need.

When the Escape 5.0 was designed, we researched different A/C units for weight and the amount of stress applied to the roof in various areas under different circumstances. The area where the A/C mounts on the 5.0 is heavily reinforced with a combination of wood and fiberglass which is spread out over a large area to disperse the forces applied.

I do see the need for a roof mount A/C on the Escape 17' and I do have a solution as mentioned above however, that requires building a new mold which is rather costly. Simply reinforcing the roof will accomodate an A/C for the short term but I can foresee stress cracks within a few years....probably just after your warranty expires! Something I am not willing to submit my customers to. Certainly, when a new mold is required, it will accomodate a roof top A/C.

If a fiberglass trailer is in your future....this site certainly has a ton of knowledgeble members willing to share their experiences (pros and cons) to help you find 'that perfect' egg for you.

Reace & Tammy
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't have an Escape, but I've looked at them a few times. I would rather keep the cabinet mounting for A/C, and use the wardrobe top for a microwave: it's easily accessible, power is available, and it would be easy to secure there.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #7

Here is a link with instructions on how I installed a microwave on the wardrobe of my Escape. Sorry it didn't include a picture, I'll add one soon.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=20186&hl=

I prefer the side mounted AC; cheaper to replace and a much lower trailer profile. I replaced the original 2006 unit (5500 BTU) with the new 2007 standard 8000 BTU in one weekend and for less than $200. Reace helped out with advice and tips, it was pretty easy and I put the original AC in my shed, a double score! We camp where it exceeds 100 degrees so the increased capacity is great.

We use the microwave to store stuff while traveling or dry camping. The toiletry boxes fit perfect on top when parked so we don't lose much space with the side mounted AC. The Escape has so much storage that the 4 of us can go camping 4 days and not use all the available storage for things that are best kept in the trailer.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #8

Good comments and suggestions, all. Seems that a prudent move at this juncture would be not to dismiss the Escape 17 solely because of the AC location. I recall now being sold on the Scamp deluxe wood interior until physically looking at a Casita. Although the Scamp Deluxe was nice, the brighter Casita interior seemed more appropriate for a small trailer with its predominately white finish. Speaking of the Casita interior, I have a suggestion to spruce it up a bit. I'll post my thoughts in another thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #9

The perfect Moulded Fiberglass trailer as we see it in our own eyes for any of us will never happen unless we are loaded with money and able to build our own. I do believe that each company builds and sellw what the general public requires. They build to suit the basic needs of most of us.

I can think of a number of things I would like to have in a small RV, but I must remember it's the small lightweight unit that I and others want. I can buy a much bigger unit for what I have paid to date and what I will pay in the future.

The smooth looks of these units with out the A/C on top is a great selling point for me. Its lower and more versitile and looks real good. No bumps and lumps on top of it. The microwave is another point of contention. I have installed microwaves in a number of FG units. If I remember correctly, I only ever used a microwave a total of about 6 times. The use was to test them when i completed installation and made a couple bags of popcorn. Now that's a pure waste of time and money for me.
I could sit here all day long and poke holes in every unit ever made, thats the easy side of things. I suggest we each buy what we can afford and change things to our liking.

I have now owned 4 FG units. Each one had there problems for me, BUT they all did the basic job and that was to take me camping/RVing and that was why I owned them. I had fun rebuilding them and doing modifications to suit me. Heck I even figuried out how to install roof air if I wanted it, in these small units.

I have meet two owners of two differnt Fiberglass trailer manufacturers.They are what I would call a small bussiness with a limited number of employees doing a great job for us MFROG folks. I bet there is not many people who can say the same things about their bulge mobiles, which just sit in driveways and look pretty.

Storage is also a good point. In my 13ft Trill with toilet I can store enought stuff for a 4-week holiday.The only thing I would have to buy while traveling would be fresh food. I know because we just did a 3-week holiday, and guess what? We never used half the food (canned goods) that we had. Just think what I can cram into a 17footer.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape
When we ordered our Escape 17 in 2006, we asked that an 115 volt ac duplex plug be installed in the cabinet above the refrigerator. This is where we wanted our microwave to go. Reace and his team accomodated our request with no problems. The plug is located on the little ledge at the rear of the cabinet. It has its own circuit breaker in the breaker box under the dinette seat. We purchased a small (1600 watt) mikey and have it installed now. It works perfectly. We use a Honda 2000ei generator to run it when we're not hooked up to shore power and the generator doesn't even flinch. For traveling we just insert a small piece of wood in front of the oven along the bottom so that it can't come out of the cabinet.

Doug & Kathy
Terrace, BC
dkdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape, microwave