Escape 17- with or without Bath... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
When we were considering the Escape 17 (before having the 19 practically fall into our laps) we were definitely looking at Plan B with the bathroom. We've trailer camped for a decade now and have had porta-potties and bathrooms and like someone else posted, there's (almost) no going back. Our first little pop-up did have a privacy curtain for one bed that included a small dressing area, so there was some privacy, but our next pop-up didn't have that kind of set-up. We had a port-potti out in a Paha Que outhouse tent but even then I didn't like going out at night. When we finally got a pop-up with a hardside bathroom we realized how nice it is to have full privacy and also how nice it is to shower in our own rig. Shopping for our egg we tried to imagine just having a port-potti but we knew long term that we wanted the bathroom.

Mike and Kimberly
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
In our 13 foot scamp we had to decide between a permanent bed and dining room table, or having a bathroom and a bed we take up and down everyday. We went with a port-a potti. Our main issue with the tent was late night runs, with the p-a-p we set it up in front of the door at night and it's very convenient. We also found that the dim green light from our Propane detector acts as a night light to hit your mark, so no bright light is needed. Now, if I had restored a 16 footer, I think we would have a small bathroom.

Dan H

Just for fun Photo Website -
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
I recently bought one of those 'outhouse' tents......takes about 5 min. to put up. I set it up just outside the awning at the back of the camper. My first trip with it, I had invited a friend to go with me. We both thought the convenience was great. We are both seniors and value the luxury of privacy. I also used it to sponge bath and dress, allowing my friend to wash and dress in the camper. Worked out great for us.

I prefer this arrangements to having to deal with grey and black water tanks.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I have noticed that anytime a used 17' Escape without a bathroom is put up for sale - which is not often as I suspect there are not a lot out there without a bathroom, one of the first questions that potential purchasers ask is "can a toilet & shower be added?" Have also noted that without the bathroom they seem to sit on the market longer. As such I suspect that a lack of bathroom is a *big* factor in resale value if that is of concern to the OP.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Noreen Bradshaw View Post

I prefer this arrangements to having to deal with grey and black water tanks.
This is very much "different strokes for different folks." One of my favorite adages is "you can never miss, what you've never had." This definitely applies to me. I've been a car camper, backpacker and tenter. What I've never had is a porta-potty. But I don't find hooking up a hose from a valve to a sewer system... to be smelly or problematic. I don't "see" anything or smell anything foul.. I use chemicals. I also don't put solids down in the black water tank and the gray water just contains dish water and toothpaste spit. However, the idea of hauling a porta-potty to the John and dumping it.... makes me quesy.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit 17
British Columbia
We had a Scamp 16 with flush toilet, no shower. We were previously tent campers so the toilet just seemed strange! Everywhere we camp has some kind of toilet and even the pit ones are usually clean so for us it seemed an unnecessary weight to carry around. Also we mainly camp on weekends so for the odd middle of the night use it just seemed a pain to have to add more water, dump, add chemicals etc for a one time use.
As people say certainly for resale a bathroom is good and also maybe if we were camping for longer periods we may have used it, who knows as we down sized to a 13 foot with no toilet!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
We have a Scamp 13 with toilet and shower. Haven't used the shower but wouldnt be without the toilet
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
We have the 13 without a bathroom and don't miss it/don't want it. HOWEVER, if I were getting something 17 and up it would definitely have a bathroom.
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
We have the 13 without a bathroom and don't miss it/don't want it. HOWEVER, if I were getting something 17 and up it would definitely have a bathroom.
Reeves put it so well. You are considering a larger trailer so can afford the space.

Unless you have a large family that will be sharing the trailer with you, the downsizing of the dinette bed is a non issue. If you were getting a 13 foot trailer you would be giving up your closet and/or bunk bed/couch.

I use my shower even when hooked up. It is so much more convenient. I have complete control over sanitation issues and it is much more efficient for me to shower,wipe down the wet walls, and dress in my trailer than get all my "stuff" together and march over to the bathroom facilities.

Regarding the portipotti issue - I just think it is so much more enjoyable to use a flush toilet from both a privacy and creature comfort issues. Yes, you have black water tank concerns when dry camping for longer periods, but you can plan for that. And if you go camping with hook-ups, everything is a breeze. In fact, one of the main, perhaps, only reason I like hook ups is because of the availability fresh water and sewage.

Regarding the extra weight and increased gas milage for a permanent bathroom ... I honestly think that is of minimum consideration. It is fairly easy to ID a dump facility relatively close when dry camping. You'd do much better having the bath, and packing thoughtfully.

And should you decide to sell your tug that bath will be a major asset.

My 2 cents
'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...The older I get and the longer we've owned our Escape 5.0 the more important the bathroom gets. Being able to pull over when nature rings and jump in the trailer is...
A container of Chlorox wipes is important too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1996 Scamp...SD
Yes bathroom, wouldnt leave home without it!!! Number one reason why we drag the trailer around.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
Name: Janet
Trailer: expecting our 19' Escape November 23, 2012
British Columbia
I saw my first Escape Rv just 2 weeks ago and fell in love! It was a 19' that was soooo bathroom. after 2 more invited visits to check this trailer out and much talk I feel that I won't really need the shower/bathroom. always cleaning up, wiping walls down, did not call me. I think there was also the concern of condensation. I think I can live with the outdoor shower. They only used their porta pottie in the night.
I can see from reading here that it is realy a matter of personall preference and what you are willing to live with.
Keep us posted with your decision....Cheers Janet
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
Bathroom vs. No bathroom -Escape 17

Thank you every one for your opinions. Yes, it is a matter of personal choice and it's a big decision so hearing your opinions has really helped. We've never had a trailer. We know now that we do want a bathroom. What we're not sure of is whether or not we would be comfortable in the bed size in the Plan 17B. We're going to measure it out again and see if we can actually sleep in that size area on our own bed. Seems kind of small and some pesty back issues require a decent bed size. If not, I guess we may have to opt for a 19' Escape or a 5.0. We have a Sierra 1500 V8 truck so we're okay for either. Not to be a pain....but soon the next question will be...which is a better and safer drive...5.0 or 19' trailer. We'll be very happy when our question days are over. Hope we're not asking too many!! Thanks to all of you for sharing - you are a great group!!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If we could even do it, and had to do it over again, I would consider ordering a smaller bath with a toilet only. No need for waterproofing then either, and still affords the privacy. Even though the saved space would only be a foot or so, it would be greatly appreciated.

We have had our Escape 19 for over 3 years now, and the shower has only been used once, and that was just me trying it out. We will use the facilities at a campground and have never found them to be terrible, though most were great there were some that coulda used some renos. The water was always clean, and that is the main thing. We mostly boondock though, and usually not for more than 4 days, so a quick sponge bath or swim in a river will clean us up nicely.

The little sink in our bathroom has never been used. We usually brush our teeth outside, or at the kitchen sink. Same with washing up. The sink is too small to put two hands in anyway.

We have the outside shower that has only been used a couple times for cleanup, but it one wanted, it would be real easy to use a shower tent with it.

As far as the 5.0 vs the 19, it has been discussed on a few threads on the Escape forum. Both are great trailers that tow nicely, and both offer different features for different users.

2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote