Escape 17- with or without Bath... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
We have a Scamp 13 with toilet and shower. Haven't used the shower but wouldnt be without the toilet
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #22

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We have the 13 without a bathroom and don't miss it/don't want it. HOWEVER, if I were getting something 17 and up it would definitely have a bathroom.
P
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
We have the 13 without a bathroom and don't miss it/don't want it. HOWEVER, if I were getting something 17 and up it would definitely have a bathroom.
P
Reeves put it so well. You are considering a larger trailer so can afford the space.

Unless you have a large family that will be sharing the trailer with you, the downsizing of the dinette bed is a non issue. If you were getting a 13 foot trailer you would be giving up your closet and/or bunk bed/couch.

I use my shower even when hooked up. It is so much more convenient. I have complete control over sanitation issues and it is much more efficient for me to shower,wipe down the wet walls, and dress in my trailer than get all my "stuff" together and march over to the bathroom facilities.

Regarding the portipotti issue - I just think it is so much more enjoyable to use a flush toilet from both a privacy and creature comfort issues. Yes, you have black water tank concerns when dry camping for longer periods, but you can plan for that. And if you go camping with hook-ups, everything is a breeze. In fact, one of the main, perhaps, only reason I like hook ups is because of the availability fresh water and sewage.

Regarding the extra weight and increased gas milage for a permanent bathroom ... I honestly think that is of minimum consideration. It is fairly easy to ID a dump facility relatively close when dry camping. You'd do much better having the bath, and packing thoughtfully.

And should you decide to sell your tug that bath will be a major asset.

My 2 cents
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...The older I get and the longer we've owned our Escape 5.0 the more important the bathroom gets. Being able to pull over when nature rings and jump in the trailer is...
A container of Chlorox wipes is important too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Yes bathroom, wouldnt leave home without it!!! Number one reason why we drag the trailer around.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #26

Name: Janet
Trailer: expecting our 19' Escape November 23, 2012
British Columbia
I saw my first Escape Rv just 2 weeks ago and fell in love! It was a 19' that was soooo roomy....no bathroom. after 2 more invited visits to check this trailer out and much talk I feel that I won't really need the shower/bathroom. always cleaning up, wiping walls down, did not call me. I think there was also the concern of condensation. I think I can live with the outdoor shower. They only used their porta pottie in the night.
I can see from reading here that it is realy a matter of personall preference and what you are willing to live with.
Keep us posted with your decision....Cheers Janet
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #27

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Bathroom vs. No bathroom -Escape 17

Thank you every one for your opinions. Yes, it is a matter of personal choice and it's a big decision so hearing your opinions has really helped. We've never had a trailer. We know now that we do want a bathroom. What we're not sure of is whether or not we would be comfortable in the bed size in the Plan 17B. We're going to measure it out again and see if we can actually sleep in that size area on our own bed. Seems kind of small and some pesty back issues require a decent bed size. If not, I guess we may have to opt for a 19' Escape or a 5.0. We have a Sierra 1500 V8 truck so we're okay for either. Not to be a pain....but soon the next question will be...which is a better and safer drive...5.0 or 19' trailer. We'll be very happy when our question days are over. Hope we're not asking too many!! Thanks to all of you for sharing - you are a great group!!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If we could even do it, and had to do it over again, I would consider ordering a smaller bath with a toilet only. No need for waterproofing then either, and still affords the privacy. Even though the saved space would only be a foot or so, it would be greatly appreciated.

We have had our Escape 19 for over 3 years now, and the shower has only been used once, and that was just me trying it out. We will use the facilities at a campground and have never found them to be terrible, though most were great there were some that coulda used some renos. The water was always clean, and that is the main thing. We mostly boondock though, and usually not for more than 4 days, so a quick sponge bath or swim in a river will clean us up nicely.

The little sink in our bathroom has never been used. We usually brush our teeth outside, or at the kitchen sink. Same with washing up. The sink is too small to put two hands in anyway.

We have the outside shower that has only been used a couple times for cleanup, but it one wanted, it would be real easy to use a shower tent with it.

As far as the 5.0 vs the 19, it has been discussed on a few threads on the Escape forum. Both are great trailers that tow nicely, and both offer different features for different users.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Think of resale a bathroom/washroom makes sense. Road travel requires potty stops along the way. I would rather use my bathroom than rest areas. When you get older having your own bathroom is nice to have at night.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I find that not having the bathroom does limit how long we will boondock. It was nice to be able to take a shower and get spruced up before heading back to civilization.

That said you use the bed, kitchen and seating all the time so having the space a bathroom would take up available is something to consider.

I agree with the previous posters opinions on the resale question, most folks looking for a larger camper will be expecting a fully self contained unit. People will more readily buy a 13 ft. as a "hard sided tent" than something in the 16 or 19 ft. size.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #31

Name: Janet
Trailer: expecting our 19' Escape November 23, 2012
British Columbia
Jim , I like the idea of a smaller bathroom, We are still in the planning stages as well and will have to run that idea by Reace.
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #32

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
A 5.0 is the way to go!!!!
Best of both worlds, a bathroom and large bed.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #33

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Yes, 5.0 is the best of all worlds.... and twice the price of a Casita...but I know it is worth it! I hear it's easier to "back in" a 5.0 vs. a trailer into a site. Have no idea, never did it...not yet. The only thing we've backed up is our truck! Looking forward to seeing someone's 19' trailer this week. Two axles...better than one? I guess that's the advantage of the 19' trailer vs. the 5.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
A 5.0 is the way to go!!!!
Best of both worlds, a bathroom and large bed.
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #34

Name: Rod
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Tennessee
I am interested in the Escape 15B - it sounds to be well built and within my towing limit. And I like that extra insulation and duel pane windows are available on this model. On the floor plan though, the head/shower looks to be on the small side for showering (I am 5'10"). I would appreciate hearing opinions on this from those who have this model or at least have been in one.
Chatt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is one for sale on the Escape Forum- less than $15k for late model used. I think it only has the toilet, no shower, maybe more space?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatt447 View Post
I am interested in the Escape 15B - it sounds to be well built and within my towing limit. And I like that extra insulation and duel pane windows are available on this model. On the floor plan though, the head/shower looks to be on the small side for showering (I am 5'10"). I would appreciate hearing opinions on this from those who have this model or at least have been in one.
There is actually one for sale on this list! It looks new and they are not that common a find. The trailer was at the Oregon meet and I know I am not the only one that has expressed surprise on seeing it that it hasnt sold faster. Contact the seller as I suspect she has a lot more photos of it to share.

As someone who is also 5' 10" suspect you are going to find the shower heads on most of the smaller trailers are on the low side - thus why most of them are set up with the removable hand shower option.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Robert, My wife and I have an Escape 17B with the bathroom. In hindsite we wish we had gotten the 17A.

Bill
billfilsinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape