Escape 21' Owner Feedback? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Escape 21' Owner Feedback?

I'm just curious how those on this forum who took the leap and purchased the new model Escape 21' last year are getting along with them. Are they as great in reality as they look on paper? Any owner feedback/insight would be appreciated. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I never took the leap as other Escape 19 owners did, as I love the merits of my 19, BUT everyone who has bought one is extremely pleased with what they got.

I would suggest heading to the Escape Forum, doing a search and reading up on what has been said there. Lots of great information from 21 owners. Escape Trailer Owners Community
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't have a 21', I have the 5.0TA... but I could be very, very happy with the 21' SWOON.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I did and would do it again. The 19' Escape I had was nice but the 21' is great. Perfect sized bed, larger bath room, rear dinette seating, huge refer, and counter space, lots of counter space. For the small price differential, well worth it.
Look here The 21 Foot Escape
Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I looked it over from cphharley's link. So far, we love the Escape. That would be the current choice for my next FG camper if we get rid of the 13' Scamp. But I'm looking a the pricing. I added the A/C and a few more things and wow... $28,835.00. (But that still beats Olivers $45K +?) I believe Escape's pricing is Canadian so it would probably be cheaper in US $? I would possibly pull it with a Tacoma. They're rated at 6500 Cap.

The ONLY thing I see I wish could be changed on the design and that's a walk-around bed! I think it could be arranged with the bed turned perpendicular to the wall. Leave a small walk-beside space at the front wall then put the bathroom on the side and turn it sideways as well and place it against the "roadside" wall in place of the "drawer cabinet". Wonder if Escape would even entertain the idea? They appear to be custom cabinets and not molded fiberglass like Scamp, Oliver, etc.

One other thing. That's Ensolite on the walls/ceilings? For Scamp owners that have replaced theirs with an Escape, how do you compare the "ratfur" to the Ensolite? Personally, from appearance, I like the ratfur better. Wife didnt like the carpet at ALL on Casita's but was ok with the marine upholstery on the Scamp. We've had ours now 5 yrs and NO issues with the ratfur (other than the door and that was Scamp's goofy design on seals which too has been resolved by me).

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #6

Registry
Darral, your bed idea would not work. A queen bed is 80" long (what I have in my 19), and at 4" wider, you would not have much length left over for walking past. Moving that bath to where you mention, would put it on top of the wheel well, which would not work. You can bet that Reace thought it all out to get what he could out of it beforehand.

Could be that I am still quite young (only 57), but the having to hop over your partner in the night is no big deal, and can actually be fun. We both usually end up taking our during-the-night trip at the same time now anyway.

The walls are a vinyl covered foam, though not unlike ensolite. I nice neutral colour, and a surface that is quite tough, and cleans up easily.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
I would possibly pull it with a Tacoma. They're rated at 6500 Cap.

Darral

What configuration of the Tacoma has a 6500 Cap? My SIL's Taco and others I've checked have a 3,500 capacity. I would love an Escape 21' pulled by a Tacoma but didn't think it was possible.

Dan
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really like the rat fur in my Scamp. But with my color choices, etc. in Ten Forward, I don't really miss it. The ability to make theme/color decisions when getting a custom built Escape really does make the wall covering a non-starter. And as Robert mentioned, it's easy to clean.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Having had both a 19 and now a 21, I obviously like the trailer. The trailers were built four years apart and what impressed me were the improvements that were made in those intervening years. Not the sort of improvements that are going to make it on a forum. These were all minor in nature but they indicate one thing to me. The company is not sitting still, it seems like some of the other fiberglass manufacturers are in a time warp. Change comes hard for some of the other builders.

What sort of things am I talking about: heavier gauge wire around battery connections, improved labeling of wiring, better connections and securing of wire, safety and precautionary labels where appropriate, more lighting inside and tail, better sewer hose storage, larger wheels, additional venting, and most important the additions to their options list. The options list has grown in size and scope, having such a substantial list really gives the buyer choices to "have it my way". But because they are options you are not forced into very many things. Some things you just cannot have, the design and wall support system requires walls to be in certain locations, there is not a way to change that.

All of these changes are across all models, they were not differences between the 19 and 21.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post
What configuration of the Tacoma has a 6500 Cap? My SIL's Taco and others I've checked have a 3,500 capacity. I would love an Escape 21' pulled by a Tacoma but didn't think it was possible.

Dan
My 2007 Tacoma 4X4 Access cab has a 6500# tow capacity. The access cab and double cab 4X4 and prerunner have more capacity if you order the V6 engine with the factory towing package.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

Jack L answered it. Obviously, yours is a 4cyl and so is my Nissan Frontier. It has a 3500lb cap and tows my 13' Scamp VERY nicely @ 20mpg avg. I would NOT attempt a 21' Escape with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E View Post

Dan
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

Well Jim, it sounded good. With THAT configuration in the 21, you can crawl to the end I guess. With 21', I still say it could be done..the length of the bed could be an issue for taller guys. I'd take a regular size bed to get it if necessary. After the smalllllll 45" bed in my 13' Scamp, 54" would seem King sized to me. We're smaller people so the bed size is not a sizeable issue . (other than the 45" is too small period!)

[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;501105]Darral, your bed idea would not work.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral View Post
But I'm looking a the pricing. I added the A/C and a few more things and wow... $28,835.00. (But that still beats Olivers $45K +?) I believe Escape's pricing is Canadian so it would probably be cheaper in US $?

Darral
Yup all of Canada is currently holding a real good sale on all items sold to those paying in US funds

An item worth $28,835.00 Canadian Dollars is being sold for $23,248.41 U.S. dollars, based on todays exchange rate of 0.8063 (using nominal rate).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup all of Canada is currently holding a real good sale on all items sold to those paying in US funds

An item worth $28,835.00 Canadian Dollars is being sold for $23,248.41 U.S. dollars, based todays exchange rate of 0.8063 (using nominal rate).

Keep it up, I may order the 19' Escape I want sooner rather than later.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Keep it up, I may order the 19' Escape I want sooner rather than later.
LOL glad someone likes it! It doesnt put much of a smile on the faces of those of us who like to spend a lot of time camping in the US!

As much as many here in Canada would love to think we control the value of our dollar, I suspect most economist would suggest that the value of the Canadian dollar is very closely tied to the strength and/or weakness of the US Economy and global oil prices.... so if you want it to keep seeing the Canuck dollar slide off the map its your side of the border you need to keep cheering on in regards to contiuned improved US economy and hope the supposed current surpass of oil continues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The upside to a low currency is exactly as Carole posted. Our products look like they are on sale. It also makes buying imported products expensive, so the domestic market gets a boost from Canadians purchasing locally. China has been criticized for doing this intentionally.

It was weird when our dollar was higher then the US dollar.

Enjoy the sale! Thank you, come again.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I heard an expert describe the situation thus: it's not that the Canadian dollar is falling. It's the US dollar rising ( against all other currencies, including the Canadian dollar ).
Not that that explanation helps me much.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

An item worth $28,835.00 Canadian Dollars is being sold for $23,248.41 U.S. dollars, based on todays exchange rate of 0.8063 (using nominal rate).
Carol ;Your calculations are correct if Escape gives you the full official exchange rate.
In 30 + years of going to Canada camping / fishing in both Ontario & Manitoba ,we have never received the full exchange rate . Usually we receive 50 to 75% of the difference when paying with cash /check . There are bank fees charged to Canadian businesses who convert US $ to Canadian $ . Often you get a rate of 1$ to 1$ because many Canadian businesses do not want to screw around trying to figure out the exchange because it changes constantly. (I am NOT trying to be "negative" about Canada)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, there are various exchange rates. The one quoted in newscasts is the best available, and not available to plebs like us.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carol ;Your calculations are correct if Escape gives you the full official exchange rate.
In 30 + years of going to Canada camping / fishing in both Ontario & Manitoba ,we have never received the full exchange rate . Usually we receive 50 to 75% of the difference when paying with cash /check . There are bank fees charged to Canadian businesses who convert US $ to Canadian $ . Often you get a rate of 1$ to 1$ because many Canadian businesses do not want to screw around trying to figure out the exchange because it changes constantly. (I am NOT trying to be "negative" about Canada)
It all depends on the exchange rate your bank gives. It has nothing to do with Escape. They just want to see XX in $CAD. Retailers are not set up to give a proper exchange rate. We see that too going to the US. I always get cash ahead, or use my credit card, which gives a reasonable exchange rate.

Tags
escape