Escape 5th Wheel Layout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
For those that are interested, Escape trailers have posted the floorplan layout for their new 5th wheel on their website. No photos yet, but they have posted an options list.

I like this layout!!!! It should work well for many people. Look at the headroom in that shower... a posted 6' 4".

The dinette is a U shape which should work well. Storage appears to be well thought out. From what I can see, side to side weight balance should be very good. It is also equipped with 15" tires.

Escape 5.0 floorplan layout

Reace, well thought out, It looks like a winner!
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks for the heads-up, Charlie... I had been waiting for this.

The plan is basically Escape's normal layout with bathroom, with the front sofa/dinette replaced by the end of the front bed. The bathroom seems to be extended to use a bit of that space, as well, and gets extra headroom due to the roof slope up to the front body extension.

We have had a few discussions of bathroom size, including one recently at the end of the "Bigger" trailer topic. It looks like the Escape 5.0 has a really usefully sized bathroom, which catches my attention.

It also has a nearly Queen sized front bed in the over-the-tug body extension, turned lengthwise, which is the only way to get this size of bed in this classic width of trailer.

I'm not so enthralled with the U-shaped dinette (although I realize that it is a popular choice), but perhaps that could be changed as an option.

The site also has a page for Standard Features on 5.0, in addition to the floorplan.

I didn't see an indication of the hitch coupler type, so I don't know if this is a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate coupler), a 2" ball-and-socket (like the Scamp 19'), or a more common 2-5/6" ball-and-socket (like most gooseneck trailers).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thats gonna be one nice trailer!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I didn't see an indication of the [b]hitch coupler type, so I don't know if this is a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate coupler), a 2" ball-and-socket (like the Scamp 19'), or a more common 2-5/6" ball-and-socket (like most gooseneck trailers).
It's has a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate coupler). I spent quite a bit of time talking to Reace at the Oregon Gathering. He said goose-necks are illegal in Canada (at least for manufacture). Note BigFoot also used the a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate coupler), when they manufactured the 5th wheel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
...He said goose-necks are illegal in Canada (at least for manufacture). Note BigFoot also used the a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate coupler), when they manufactured the 5th wheel.
Thanks for the info, Donna.

There are lots of gooseneck trailers with ball-and-socket couplers here in Alberta (there are probably three within one mile of where I am sitting in my house), and they continue to be readily available from many manufacturers, so they are clearly not illegal; however, they are generally for cargo and livestock applications, and the vast majority have two (or three) axles. Perhaps there is some combination of configuration and application which is relevant.

So far, I've determined that in Alberta it is sections 86 through 91 of the Vehicle Equipment Regulation (AR322) which define requirements which are specific to trailers, and nothing in them restricts the use of ball couplers for single trailers. They do require compliance with CSA Standard Z240 RV series ‑ 99 Recreational Vehicles; perhaps that's where there might be a restriction. Since the Alberta regulation applied the CSA standard only to the manufacture (not operation) of a trailer, that might be the restriction to which Reace was referring.

I'm sure Reace knows what he is talking about, and I'll try to post a clarification when I find it. It could be relevant to people wanting to buy a Scamp 19' in Canada, or to modify their Bigfoot or (now) Escape coupler configuration.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #6

About the [b]type of coupler allowed...

The relevant part of the CSA standard appears to be Z240.1.2
Quote:
This Standard sets out vehicular requirements for recreational vehicles, except motor homes.

This Standard provides requirements for couplings, tongue or A-frame, vehicular lighting (for slide-in campers only), glazing materials, and running gear of recreational vehicles.
I'm interested in investigating this, but not enough for the $150 price tag on the standard, so I'll need to drop by the local university engineering library...

There's also the Canadian federal [b]MVSR (Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations), referred to in that CSA standard:
Quote:
Recreational vehicles manufactured to this Standard are required to comply with the applicable provisions of the Transport Canada publication MVSR. Where the Standard is at variance with the MVSR, the latter takes precedence.
I'm still busy reading the MVSR. The U.S. equivalent to Canada's MVSR is the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
Old 09-23-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Brian

You are correct, it is not 'illegal' to use a goose neck set up, rather not CSA approved. In Canada, you will only see cargo type trailers that do not require CSA using 'other' types of hitch couplers.

As stated in the CSA Z240.....

3.2.3 Fifth-Wheel Couplings

For fifth-wheel-type trailers, a kingpin as dimensioned in SAE Standard J700 shall be used and shall be permanently attached.

Hope this saves you a trip to the library!

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, so I was half-right Thanks for the clarification Reace. Now when are we going to see REAL pictures of the 5th wheel
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #9

See, Reace does know what he's talking about! Thanks, Donna and Reace.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
NOW, lets all get on Reace's case about that new Mini-Escape 13footer....

I'm so excited about THAT l'il puppy!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i hope there not as expensive as the big foot i looked at one today a 25 footer at $41887.00 us $ that is way out of the reach for me...
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
i hope there not as expensive as the big foot i looked at one today a 25 footer at $41887.00 us $ that is way out of the reach for me...
I noticed at a local dealer that the 17' Bigfoot models were about $30,000, and the 21' about $40,000 (both in Canadian dollars). Yes, these are premium-priced products compared to travel trailers in general, although still cheap compared to an Airsteam (but that's a bit like saying a car is cheap compared to a Rolls Royce..). Bigfoot doesn't show pricing on their web site, which is not surprising given the dealer distribution network.

On the other hand, [b]Escape does show an "introductory" price on that Standard Features on 5.0 page, of $24,000 (Canadian). That seems quite reasonable to me for this size of trailer, especially compared to other models and makes of fiberglass units.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
A lot of money considering there's no comfortable place to sit down. Sitting at the table is not my idea of comfort.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
A lot of money considering there's no comfortable place to sit down. Sitting at the table is not my idea of comfort.
Hi JIm: I am currently sitting at the table in our Escape 5.0 as I type this reply. Paddy is comfortably seated across from me reading her book, and she loves her 5.0. We have entertained and fed four people on three occasions and had a great time. It is not my eaasy chaair at home but it is my home away from home and I love it as much as Paddy does. For an "egg" it is grade "A".

Happy Trails, Ian and Paddy
Ian Waymark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape