Escape construction question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... This posting is just a "Biased Bump". To good a thread to let languish...IMHO.
We've had many people look at our trailer, some before I've even set foot out of the truck, and all say the quality is very apparent!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I am just a little confused on the drainage holes around the edge? The idea is really great because this way water can't sit inside the trailer and soak the wood floor from a broken pipe, etc but wouldn't that be an easy way for ants or other critters to get inside from the outside thru those holes?____ What would stop rain water while traveling thru big puddles from splashing up and getting the interior wet?_____ I'm sure there is a simple answer and sometimes i just get "Brain Freeze".
I have to say i am really interested in an Escape trailer and have directed a friend of mine to this brand that never had a fiberglass trailer before.
Keep up the great work Reace
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #23

Trailer: Boler 1984
Think of it like a funnel. Water can enter the large open area on top and drain through the small lower holes but it's much harder for the water to enter from the lower side where the 1/4 inch holes are.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Think of it like this: Sure a trailer's spinning wheels can splash water up into the hole, but the point of having the hole there is to allow water to flow back out. Based on the very essence of a favorite physicist (Newton) and popular Blood Sweat and Tears rock song "What goes up, must come down. Spinning wheels got to go round." ;-)

As for the ants . . . they can squeeze in through any number of small gaps and spaces, so short of putting a dab of insecticide around the tires and hookup hoses and cords there's no keeping them out. If you do get ants at some point simply moving the trailer from one place to another will generally end the infestation.

What you really don't want in your trailer is a place ants might like as a nesting spot. What they look for is wide (by ant standards) very narrow space between two surfaces where they can build easily protected nursery colonies. The big, open spaces of the pontoons don't really qualify.

Kudos to Reace for improving on the Trillium design by making the "pontoon" gutters deeper and providing more vent holes. Our Trillium-inspired Surfside project tralier has a rotten floor problem because the gutters were not quite deep enough and only one vent hole was drilled at either end, so when I came to pick the old maid up and tilted her on her axle a lot of water poured out.

The whole floor may have to be replaced.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #25

It's not the ants
This guy thought he culd take my tire at Emily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin_River_2005__7_.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	24440

These were all over the camp at Martin River.
Attached Thumbnails
bolerama_2004_097_1.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #26

Geeesh!
Somehow the pictures got interchanged and when I tried to edit them I ended up back on my main page.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
thanks peter and james..... that is a very logical explanation..... especially the funnel concept. I liked the escape before and even like it more now.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just had another escape construction question. The belly seam photo, are screws or rivets used all the way around? and what purpose do they serve? Since the two halves are fiberglassed together, do they simply hold the seam trim or add strength to the whole structure by screwing all the way through the top and bottom half lips? Third, do the penetrate all the way through the shell? Thanks again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	escape_seam.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	26070
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #29

Registry
Hi: Ken C... Most of the fasteners around the joint seam just hold the metal base for the rubber rub strip. There are however places where they hold into the wood blocks glassed in to hold the interior cabinets in place. For that reason I think Escape uses screws to do the job whether they just bite into the multi layers of fiberglass or into the wood blocks. I have yet to pull open that seam cover but am going to when "Our Escape Hatch" is out of storage!!!
The top and bottom molds are glassed together and then left to dry before being unmolded. This vital step makes them align perfectly and allows the cabinettes to be made to a set of templates and installed all at once. There is a good set of pic's on escapetrailers.org. I'm sure Reace could explain better than I. Here's a pic of the storage area under the dinette bench. I think it shows one of the awning anchors tho!!!
Attached Thumbnails
battery_case_vent_hose.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #30

Registry
Hi: Ken C... OOps wrong pic.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. this really is a pic. of a dark space.
Attached Thumbnails
dark_down_here.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #31

[quote]I just had another escape construction question. The belly seam photo, are screws or rivets used all the way around? and what purpose do they serve? Since the two halves are fiberglassed together, do they simply hold the seam trim or add strength to the whole structure by screwing all the way through the top and bottom half lips? Third, do the penetrate all the way through the shell? Thanks again.

Attachment 26070

Hi Ken
The details of the band attachment can best be answered by Reace. I have a couple pictures of our 19' that might help illustrate how the top and bottom go together. (fingers crossed that I have actually attached the pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Interior.jpg   Exterior.jpg  

Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #32

Registry
Hi: Mike Morrison... It's really hard to show the construction process your pic's do...from a finished trailer. I have never been to the factory to see the build but I know the time and effort Escape takes really shows!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi: Mike Morrison... It's really hard to show the construction process your pic's do...from a finished trailer. I have never been to the factory to see the build but I know the time and effort Escape takes really shows!!!
We are fortunate to live about an hour away from the factory so I was able to do a weekly visit and take construction progress pictures. I missed a few things, but still saw enough to get a pretty good feel for how they go together. Unfortunately the day we picked it up I forgot my camera.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #34

Registry
Hi: Mike Morrison..."I forgot my camera"... I forgot to put film in mine when our youngest daughter was born. DUH!!! I feel your excitement!!! Can you post more pic's anyhoo???
Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Hi: Mike Morrison..."I forgot my camera"... I forgot to put film in mine when our youngest daughter was born. DUH!!! I feel your excitement!!! Can you post more pic's anyhoo???
Alf
I haven't had a chance to get "finished" exterior pictures yet. We brought our trailer home at night and promptly put it to bed under a cover. I did take weekly pictures of the construction process (mostly interior as the Escape shop is a bit tight for good exterior shots) but unless you are looking for a specific shot of something that I did capture during the build, I am not sure if any of my pics would be very interesting.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #36

Registry
Hi: Mike Morrison...Did you get a custom cover from Escape???
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Hi: Mike Morrison...Did you get a custom cover from Escape???
Yes we did. Pretty easy to put on (even for the 1st time), it fits pretty well and undoing a couple of zippers gives you access to the door.

Tags
escape