Escape Insulation Package vs Bigfoot 4-Seasons Insulation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #15

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
...Oliver is very capable but SO expensive.
Don’t you get what you pay for?

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #16

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
Yes, but it doesn't make sense to me to purchase capacity (winter worthiness) if you aren't going to use it. You use yours in the snow and cold? How is the frame holding up?

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Yes, but it doesn't make sense to me to purchase capacity (winter worthiness) if you aren't going to use it. You use yours in the snow and cold? How is the frame holding up?
I agree. There is so many considerations that go into decisions regarding your purchase. About 15 Year’s ago, a Pro dog trainer I was working with suggested that I purchase a small, used travel trailer & join his training group as they follow the field trial circuit up into Canada & down into Montana. I had originally began researching fiberglass trailers because I passed a Casita on the Freeway. It was so very cute - a miniature airstream. I later learned that these trailers were relatively light & well built with few problems plaguing “stick” trailers. But I also came to appreciate that a Casita would not meet my individual needs.

Now that hubby is joining me, I must evaluate if the Bigfoot will work on long training trips - in particular, whether we should “upgrade” to larger, separate bed. Aside from “winter worthiness”, switching considerations for me includes cost of a new TT, increased gas costs due to weight, piece of mind when towing those additional 2 feet (solo travel is still in my future). Olivers are, unfortunately, out of my league.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Actually, it should and does make sense. It seems most people either don’t realize or forget that four seasons means more than “winter worthiness.” These trailers have the same capability to keep heat out as keep it in. It’s great to be warmer in cold weather but it’s equally great to be cooler in warm weather. We have camped comfortably down to -27 wind chill, but not by choice. We (and you too, I would expect) are much more likely to encounter hot weather than extremely cold. So you really would use its four season capabilities whether you expected to or not.

Our frame is just as good as the day it was built.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #19

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Escape Insulation Package vs Bigfoot 4-Seasons Insulation

Quote:
Escapes problem is that the gray and black water tanks and discharge lines are outside the heated space.

This is true, but it can be mitigated to a certain extent if you add the underbody spray foam and 12V tank heat pad options. Extended cold temps can still be a problem though as the discharge piping beyond the tanks is not heated, although Escape did add heat tape to the piping as a custom modification for a few customers in the past, and other owners have done so themselves.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #20

Vermont
Still not convinced Steve. The insulation, double windows and added insulation underneath the Escape perform pretty well in hot environments. Where the Oliver stands out is not in the insulation but containing the water systems within the heated space. Unless you specifically need this capacity, I wouldn't spend twice as much money for an Oliver. Jealous of your frame robustness however. Our steel frame shows some rust.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
My two cents: a double hulled trailer with all plumbing enclosed is superior in every respect to a single hull with external plumbing, regardless of what you do to insulate it. In terms of quality, it's in a class by itself.

Having said that, layout is far more important to us than true 4 season camping ability. If Oliver ever made a trailer whose floorplan was something other than a stretched Casita, we would strongly consider it. Of course, everyone's priorities are different.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Check out how motorhomes do four seasons. They pretty much all have all water inside the heated space including tanks. Can't get there with the Escape.

Now on the other hand, I like having increased storage inside the trailer by putting the water tank below the floor (Escape design).

Agree, can't make a single hull trailer as cold weather efficient as a double hull can be. And surely it costs more to make a double hull trailer. So the higher pricing of Oliver and Bigfoot are not that surprising.

As far as summer heat, I've had no problem with keeping the Escape plenty cool. Thermopane windows probably help. No interest in cold weather (season 4 if you will) camping.

+10 Layout/floorplan is KING for us.

As far as "getting what you pay for", I find a lot of things, price does not equate to quality. Is a $1000 iPhone 10 twice or three times as good as some of its competitors? (I've got an iPhone myself, I call the pricing "the Apple tax").
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
...Agree, can't make a single hull trailer as cold weather efficient as a double hull can be. And surely it costs more to make a double hull trailer. So the higher pricing of Oliver and Bigfoot are not that surprising.
Bigfoot is not a double hull trailer. There is no molded inner shell. Perhaps what you meant was they both have a double bottom, i.e., an enclosed underbelly, for holding tank protection?

Bigfoot and Oliver have taken very different paths to building a 4-season molded trailer. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side controlled test of the B21 and E II (seem closest in interior volume) to see how efficient and comfortable the two are under the same cold-weather conditions. Leave both buttoned up with the thermostat set at 62 degrees for 48 hours of below freezing weather. Monitor interior temperatures throughout the cabin, holding tank temperatures, propane consumption, and battery draw.

It's a pity there isn't more controlled testing of RV's in general. Most of the trade magazines print nothing but glorified marketing in the guise of "reviews."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's a pity there isn't more controlled testing of RV's in general. Most of the trade magazines print nothing but glorified marketing in the guise of "reviews."
This. I am reminded of Practical Sailor. Although that rag isn't perfect, they do scientific-enough tests of various products and are subscription-based so not beholden to manufacturers buying ads.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #25

Name: Stu
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I also read that, in the Bigfoot 4 seasoned trailers, the furnace worked in conjunction with the plumping and tank to provide protection. But I never found any written information on how that worked. Given Deb's post, I now wonder if that integration referred to the newer models manufactured after my 2006.
While going through my 2003 25RB21 today I noticed this small duct running into the floor. I assume this is to heat the holding tanks(?)

This is in the space right under the closet. You can see the large duct going to the bathroom. Pretty easy for folks to take a peak and see if they have it.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
Deb and Chuck may be Bigfoot experts, but 4 season Bigfoots have been around since way before 2006. As stated by another post, all the 2500 models are four season, the old 1500 models were not. Not sure about the 19' model owned by the OP. That being said, few people actually need a four season trailer very often, if ever. So spending extra for that is a matter of personal needs. True four season trailers include double pane windows, well-insulated walls, and (most importantly) fully enclosed and heated water tanks and plumbing. Bigfoot does not enclose the tanks with double wall construction. They build an extra compartment over the tanks and run heat ducts into that space.

If the OP wants a queen sized bed in a four season trailer, look no further than a Bigfoot 25. New Bigfoots have a really high price point for my budget. But you can find affordable used ones if you are persistent enough. Deals on used Escapes are much more rare since there are not many out there.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Don't forget you must TOW what you choose!

"You get what you pay for" is more or less an anachronism.
My Timex keeps time just as well as a Rolex, and I won't get mugged for it!
So it depends on whether you are buying "Bling" or a watch.
Don't forget to wind the Rolex ( The Timex needs a battery every seven years)

Does any one know what movie said...
" It only cost twice as much to go first class."?
Sometimes 90% for half the price is just a better deal!

Price paid
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #28

Vermont
Surprised that Lance trailers haven't entered this discussion. My buddy traded his Bigfoot for one as it isn't stick built like the BF (hence susceptible to rot) and was lighter with better layout in his mind.

Tags
bigfoot, escape