Escape money well spent? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #71

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Compromise

Traveling together.

When my neice and I spend a day together, I try to develop a shared agenda. Spending a day with an 11 year old takes some consideration.

Living for 11 years as a mostly RVers takes compromise and development of shared interests on the part of both parties. One of my sister-in-laws wonders where she could put all her quilting stuff if she had hit the road.

I try to explain that long term RVing is not really an continuation or extension of your past but an expansion of your future. In some measure you are trading the confines of your home and it's all too busy sameness for an expanded universe of opportunity.

Some people are obviously not interested in expanding their futures, for them no matter how large or elegant the RV they will not be satisfied.

We bought our first RV from a couple who had bought a beautiful new motorhome. They took one trip and she told him she was never going in it again. We bought it, traveled for 80,000 miles and had a great time.

When we speak to RV couples they all have a massive array of memories of their travels, of shared adventures, of new and old friends. Like many RVers we deeply love our families and our previous non-rving life; now we love our freedom and the super-togetherness of our travels and close time together. Ginny is more interesting than ever and we are as happy "as clams". (I don't know what clams have to do with anything but it slipped into my head and thru my fingers.)

As a disclaimer, Ginny always tells me RVing is not for everyone....

Happy holidays to every one of you. 86F in FL today.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #72
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let us know when and if you make any decision. This was an interesting thought processing thread.
I agree. When we first started egg shopping a Casita would have been my first choice, unfortunately jalousie windows were a must for us and they were not an option with a Casita. After reading how flexible the Escape folks were we ordered one, only to discover jalousie windows were not available from them either. That left Scamp and Trillium. Both were about the same cost. While the deluxe wood interior was very appealing, the jalousies on four sides won out. Despite all the build quality headaches, the Trillium has become a good match for our needs.

Every manufacturer has pluses and minuses. Reading about peoples likes and dislikes helps future owners make their choice. To that end threads such as this one are useful.

When the owner of the Escape we toured had a leaky window, Escape quickly shipped out a new window and had it installed to the owners satisfaction. That's the kind of story that gets repeated over and over. People perceive Escape to be a premium product with good customer service and that has created a demand. Each of us is a traveling billboard for the trailer we own. All manufacturers should realize that owners are their best or worst advertisers. Raz

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #73

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Steve it's been a good process.

When I retired I knew I wanted to be free of schedules & time commitment and roam around without being in a hurry.
My wife still works, her biggest thing was how much will it cost.
I settled on the used Bigfoot and she likes it.
Her and I have different interests but both can work with the RV.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #74

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S.
Hi: Daniel A... Another big factor in mass production is population #'s. 38 or so million Canadians vs. 380 or so million Americans.
There are actually only around 300 million Americans.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #75

Name: Rey
Trailer: near future, Bigfoot tt 25RB
Florida
Thumbs up Fiberglass OR aluminitis?

On another forum I was convinced to look at "fiberglass(Bigfoot)" and buying by the comments of a 25 year owner of Airstream and now a fiberglass (Bigfoot) owner. " I've had my fiberglass over 5 years, with many miles travelled. I relish the fact that it is maintenance free/ I can enjoy my travels w/o concerns with leaks". From the mouth of experience! Our fiberglass trailers ARE better built, no aluminitis for me!
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #76

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CallDon... "300 million"??? Those are only the ones you know about!!! LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #77

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: CallDon... "300 million"??? Those are only the ones you know about!!! LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Those are the mostly legal ones!!

D*

The Don Pod
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #78

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Airstream?

On our recent winter trip, I discussed small trailers with a guy who had a new Airstream Bambi. He said that he was really disappointed in the lack of quality in the mark since Thor took it over. He said the woodwork fit up was sloppy and that instead of plywood floors, he had chip board.
Just passing on what I heard.
"The pain of poor quality will hang around long after the pleasure of a cheap price leaves."

BTW, it sill cost upwards of $40K.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #79

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
On our recent winter trip, I discussed small trailers with a guy who had a new Airstream Bambi. He said that he was really disappointed in the lack of quality in the mark since Thor took it over.
Thor took it over in 1980!! Thor was founded in 1980 with the purchase of Airstream. So he was talking about the last 30 years. I guess he was not familiar with the Airstreams of the 1970s, their rear frame sag and body/frame separation. "Thor took it over" 32 years ago. Airstream has been through several design revisions since then. Most products are certainly different from what was on the market in 1980.

But Airstream is a totally different product from the majority of the market, like Casita and Scamp are a different product from the rest of the market. So I'm not sure he is really aware of what he is saying. Know what I mean?

Don

The Don Pod
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #80

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
Question Airstream Quality????

All you need to do is go to the Air Stream Forum and read the threads on leaks and problems. No way would I invest 60 grand in one of these units. They are beautiful but unless you are good with rivets and finding leaks I would urge caution. Just my thoughts, Boomer
Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #81

Texas
If you go to the Casita forums and other FG forums, you hear alot about replacing rivets and rivet caps and other issues. Fiberglass forums are also full of things gone wrong with them. Major leaks are not much of a problem due to construction, but they have problems too. Major leaks are not much of a problem with an Airstream either. Airstreams aren't all bad like you seem to think. Even so, comparing a FG trailer to an Airstream is almost like apples to oranges. They are different products and each serve their own purpose.

The Don Pod
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #82

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Trust be being handing with a rivet gun will come in real handy for an owner of fiberglass trailer as well!

She says as she walks out to trailer with drill, rivets & rivet gun in hand
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #83

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
When I think of aluminum skin on an Airstream I start considering what happens when it gets dented. Anyone know? I think I'd be quite incapable of fixing it properly, unlike fiberglass. Is the procedure then to replace a panel with a new one? Who does that and how expensive would it be? I'd need a reality check before wanting to deal with that. They DO look cool, however.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #84

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
Is the procedure then to replace a panel with a new one? Who does that and how expensive would it be? I'd need a reality check before wanting to deal with that. They DO look cool, however.
Like anything, you can ask an owner or go to the forums and ask there. Obviously it's not a big issue considering that so many Airstreams ever produced are still on the road, much like many FG trailers. That's what sets AS and FG trailers apart from stick&staple trailers that predictably disintegrate over a period of time.

I am a fan of both AS and FG and own an '86 Argosy 32'. Thinking about getting a Casita for traveling. Easier to tow 3500# over 7000#.

D*

The Don Pod

Tags
escape