Escape money well spent? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #85

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The cool look of the Airstream is 2 parts. I part shiny silver, 1 part rounded shape. FG'ers have the rounded shape part already. Maybe the rest of the look could be achieved with silver-colored paint or silvery coating of some sort. With the right stuff, it might even stay looking shiny (whereas the Airstreams' aluminum gets oxidized and looks dull).

Certainly all those seams on the Airstream have to be a disadvantage.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #86

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
In 2008 we were considering either Bigfoot or Airstream. When we learned that replacement of a dented Al panel is in average $4K we decided to go with the Bigfoot.
George.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 PM   #87

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm pretty good with tools and have a garage full to make repairs to vehicle motors, brakes, etc. but thinking about replacing aluminum skin on a riveted trailer scares me. George spoke to the cost... I can sling mud (fiberbondo), etc. but replacing an aluminum panel... I'd need to pay the experts and that's far beyond my budget (or desires). YMMV

I bought a trailer to get out and commune with nature a bit and make memories, not toast my retirement future.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #88

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
The quality issue is an interesting one. When a person asks about build quality on stick-built trailer forums it seems there is never any consensus. I think this is due to great variability even among identical trailers, along with an acceptance that quality is very poor and you just have to deal with it.

With fiberglass trailers the situation is a bit different. Having redone a Scamp, I am familiar with the decisions and compromises the manufacturer has made in putting it together. The Scamp quality isn't awesome (at least not on my regular model), but it is good enough. It could be better, but it would cost more and be heavier. My impression of the Escape trailers is that they decided to take the Scamp quality to the next level, with all that entails. What I think is a great advantage for all of the fiberglass trailers, however, is that the average person can repair and modify them. I think this is key, allowing people many paths to fiberglass RV ownership and creating a much stronger attachment and loyalty to their rigs.

By the way, our recent Bigfoot purchase was from a couple whose previous trailer was a brand new Airstream. They had the Airstream for about a year, with a new truck to match, but had enough problems with it that they traded it in and took a big loss. They traded for a used Bigfoot, which turned out to be larger than they could handle. I love the look of Airstreams and feel a bit guilty bashing on them, but people need to know that the high price does not guarantee a problem-free trailer.

Derek
Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #89

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
In 2008 we were considering either Bigfoot or Airstream. When we learned that replacement of a dented Al panel is in average $4K we decided to go with the Bigfoot.
George.
George, I wish they made a 19' BigFoot (or 21') with captains chairs. What a rig!!

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #90

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
George, I wish they made a 19' BigFoot (or 21') with captains chairs. What a rig!!

Don
They DO! It's called "owner modification." No one says you have to keep the front dinette. Rip it out wall-to-wall and put in your chairs and rebuild the table unit. OR, put in two bark-o-loungers....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #91

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking I couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
OR, put in two bark-o-loungers....
Why not? The dogs generally get there first!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #92

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:

Don
I agree, but as Dona said this modification can be done, the factory one could look better.
George.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #93

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I agree, but as Dona said this modification can be done, the factory one could look better.
George.
I have never seen any Bigfoot in person. So I don't know what is under the dinette. Often, there is storage, sometimes with an outside door. On my Argosy, the battery is under one seat and the electrical converter is under the other. So it's impossible to move them. But I think the BF is way beyond my budget anyway.

Maybe I'll get to see one one day.

BTW, the reason it is outside of my budget is because the people who picked the powerball numbers (for some reason) picked the WRONG numbers the other night.

Trust me, I know because I had the winning numbers. And they chose the wrong numbers.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #94

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Spend it like you won it!!!

Hi: All... If you're waiting till you win "Lotto Gotto" to buy a great trailer or retire remember your a long time dead!!!
We weren't going to get our Escape 5.0 till I turned 65. By then we'll have this one well done and be ready for another 5.0. We bought it and used it "On borrowed time".
I'm just concerned now, that my pre existing health conditions won't allow me to buy health coverage/travel ins. when I do reach the age of freedom!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Going to re tire the trailer next weekend and treat her to some chrome rims too!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #95

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:

Don
I wish they made a 19' Bigfoot with a slide-out for the gaucho couch. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #96

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
You should ask a RV repair person some time if they would personally buy a trailer with a slide out.... the answer might surprise you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #97

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Jane P... It cost my Bro.-'n-law nearly a "G" note to replace his slide out gear box. Had to get it from the Mfg.(4 weeks) Seems the trailer maker didn't use a dual power slide so no manual crank= no slide out!!! This also put a damper on camping for 1/2 of the summer too.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #98

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Actually RV repair folks LOVE slide-outs!

In the absence of slide-out most RV repair folks would have to give up their Lear jets and their Condos in Tahiti!

Tags
escape