Escape or BigFoot? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
Thank you everyone for all your help. The Bigfoots sound great and are on the list. Too bad they won't be making any more trailers though. That limits the choices. Not that we can afford a new Bigfoot. We might be able to scrape up enough for a new Escape if we don't get many options. Though there are a lot of used Bigfoots around, I noticed none are the 25'. We might have to make do without the separate bedroom. There are a couple 21' that look OK, one for $26,000. Not too bad for a 3 year unit. I don't know if the 17' is big enough for us. There are certainly a lot of those for sale everywhere. There's a brand new one for sale only one hour from here (he has to sell it after only owning it a for a few months). Maybe we should see it since not very many come up for sale in CA. It's beyond our budget, but at least would give us an idea of what a Bigfoot looks like.
I don't think Deb & Chuck meant that Bigfoot would not make trailers ever again. Rather that their current plans focus on just the campers for now. I believe production of trailers may follow if everything goes well. They have the trailer molds.

Looks like you are looking at a wide range of trailers. What is your intended tow vehicle if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I take back what I said about no 25' Bigfoots being for sale. I didn't notice the second page of For Sale Bigfoots on that Fiberglass Rvs for Sale website. There are 2 for sale right now, only one near our price range, both too far away to look at right now. That could be a problem in general.
Not sure how to look at that 17' one near us for sale. It's being bid on on E-bay, and there isn't any contact info.
Tow vehicle? We haven't figured that out yet. We'll probably buy that later, in fact it may end up being way later. We may just rent a pick-up to go buy the trailer and worry about figuring out the tow vehicle later on. For the first few years we'll be mostly staying put anyway, while we're still working. In one campground for awhile, then another. We can rent a pick-up whenever we move (we tend to move from one apartment to another about once a year. If we are living in an RV it could end up more often). If we decide to travel some in retirement (in 10 years), which we might, then for sure we'll get a tow vehicle. Doing it this way we won't have to own 3 cars. When my old Corolla finally dies in a few years, then I'll replace it with whatever is big enough to pull our trailer. If we'd gotten the Egg Camper I'd want something cute like the Toyota Rav4. But I know that won't tow an Escape and certainly not the Bigfoot. I was trying to avoid pick-ups, but I realize with a Bigfoot I won't have much choice.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #17

You may want to check into renting a pickup well in advance because most of the usual rental outlets do not allow towing something let alone a travel trailer and the ones that do charge a lot. That's not to say you couldn't hire someone to move the trailer for you. I think there are plenty that offer that service.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #18

Thanks Steve for that heads up. I guess we'll have to do the U-Haul thing then. They can usually tow a lot, it's how the tiny-house guys haul their little cabin/park model things.
If we want to do any traveling at all, we'll need a tow vehicle then. I wouldn't want to show up at a campground hauling with a U-Haul.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
I don't think Deb & Chuck meant that Bigfoot would not make trailers ever again. Rather that their current plans focus on just the campers for now. I believe production of trailers may follow if everything goes well. They have the trailer molds.

Looks like you are looking at a wide range of trailers. What is your intended tow vehicle if you don't mind me asking?

Steve,
You are correct in assuming that I don't know if Bigfoot will be making trailers in the distant future, just at this time their only plans are for the truck campers and providing available parts for other recent Bigfoots. We can hope that they are able to get up and running again but I can imagine the enormous costs in doing so.
Deb
Old 06-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Steve,
You are correct in assuming that I don't know if Bigfoot will be making trailers in the distant future, just at this time their only plans are for the truck campers and providing available parts for other recent Bigfoots. We can hope that they are able to get up and running again but I can imagine the enormous costs in doing so.
Deb
They are making "2 piece Fiberglass travel trailers", including a couple of 17' versions, although I wouldn't call it them "Lightweight Fiberglass Trailers": Floorplans & Specifications.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #21

Quote:
They are making "2 piece Fiberglass travel trailers", including a couple of 17' versions, although I wouldn't call it them "Lightweight Fiberglass Trailers": Floorplans & Specifications.
These links are leftovers from before Bigfoot closed their doors. The new owners now control the website and content for informational purposes only. As mentioned before they only intend or are currently producing campers. I would encourage anyone interested in any of their products to contact them directly.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #22

Thanks Steve for the info you PMd me about the Bigfoot Rally in September. It's not too far from us. That will be an amazing opportunity for us to see lots of what's available all at once.
If Tammy writes us back that the Escape can be modified for 4-weather, we'll also be going to see one not too far away. Just one, since it's an owner that's near to us. But if it can't be 4-weather, we may not bother going to look and focus on the Bigfoot. I think for our full-timing idea, we really need to be prepared for all weather.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
Thanks Steve for the info you PMd me about the Bigfoot Rally in September. It's not too far from us. That will be an amazing opportunity for us to see lots of what's available all at once.
If Tammy writes us back that the Escape can be modified for 4-weather, we'll also be going to see one not too far away. Just one, since it's an owner that's near to us. But if it can't be 4-weather, we may not bother going to look and focus on the Bigfoot. I think for our full-timing idea, we really need to be prepared for all weather.
Just to chime in. We had a Casita for a while and thought we might have to live in our trailer due to the recession. When this became the thought I started looking around to see what we could afford as there was no way we were living in the casita with two people and four dogs!

I found on Craigs list the bigfoot21' and we went and saw it and two days later we bought it. Ours is a 99 and we love it. The room in it is great and we have been out more in it no matter the weather or temperature. We found this trailer less than 20 miles from our house in Los Angeles CA. I have seen the big foot 25' with the walk around bed and if we were really going to go out for years that would be the trailer we got. Of course we could not afford the trailer then or now.

Hands down we love our big foot and would not dream of selling! I am sure the escape is lovely but we really liked the idea of going any where any time, all weathers and temps and having all the things we wanted.

Hope this helps

Alexandra
Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:

FYI: The Bigfoot Owners rally is mainly later model or factory custom built Bigfoot motorhomes , a few 21 ft. trailers plus a few truck campers in the mix has been our experience at these rallies.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
FYI: The Bigfoot Owners rally is mainly later model or factory custom built Bigfoot motorhomes , a few 21 ft. trailers plus a few truck campers in the mix has been our experience at these rallies.
Thanks for posting this information. We have never been to a BOCI rally and I gave Lisa a false impression of the number and type of trailers in attendance. I hope she sees this and doesn't make what might be an unnecessary trip.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #26

Steve,
As long as at least one 21' shows up at the rally it will have been worth the trip. It's a lot closer than going up to Oregon or further. Let me know if you are going or not once you decide, since you trailer is 21'.
Lisa
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #27

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Odem,Texas
Send a message via AIM to Phil Underwood
Quote:
good to know info
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #28

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
. We want ... a rig tough enough to last 20 or 30 years of constant use. No parking it in the garage. This does narrow down the choices.
I just want to mention that, although most of our eggs would last 20-30 years of constant use and outside storage (and they have ), none of them would look great after all that time (unless you garaged them, covered them, or etc. - see below). That is to say that cosmetically they would not look anything like new.

Fiberglass is a great material, especially as compared to the way many stickies are put together (in terms of response to the wear and tear of the road, weight, etc.), but it will absolutely "weather" if you keep it out in the elements (especially sun) for 30 years. You can keep the gelcoat clean and waxed to provide some protection, and then as it starts to chalk and fade you can "compound" and wax it. When there is no longer enough millage of gelcoat to do that, then a good, two-part LPU or similar paint job will bring it back to glossy perfection.

If the (few) penetrations are kept sealed to prevent leaks (i.e. re-bedding hatches and windows when necessary), then an egg will last for many, many years outside, don't get me wrong (many Bolers are 40 years old!). But I read into your post that you were possibly thinking that a fiberglass camper could just sit out in the sun for 30 years and still be in great (shiny, new-like) shape, and I wanted to let you know that this is not the case.

Again, I love the fiberglass campers - and I own a few fiberglass boats - so I'm not knocking the material, or saying that there is a better choice; just possibly clearing up a misconception*

Raya

*Actually, I think one reason there are so many neglected, dull, chalky, deteriorated fiberglass boats around is that they were very heavily marketed as "maintenance free" when they were newer (as compared to wood). Therefore, buyers (understandably) bought them, tied them up in a slip, and did not maintain them. Oopsie. In reality it is a low-maintenance material that has a good ability to suffer neglect and then be brought back with some TLC. But not maintenance-free.

Tags
bigfoot, escape