Escape or Scamp 5er - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
New to forum -- but been lurking for a while. The retirement dollars in the old wallet are really starting to heat up -- so getting real close to making the plunge.

Wife & I know we want something small (between 16 - 20ft). We really like the idea of purchasing a Scamp custom for the maple woodwork (and the first mod I'll make - wood laminate floor). We sort of narrowed our choice down to a new 17' Scamp.

... then we got thinking about the "real definition" of retirement -- namely that time in life when I get the opportunity to spend every waking second/minute/hour following my wife around, constantly under foot and in her way, in her space .. so we start thinking about the Escape or Scamp 5ers -- her at one end, me at the other.

Would like some opinions from you folks on relative merits. We really want those Scamp maple cabinets, but we also like the layout of the Escape. For us, the primary consideration will be quality of construction, fit, and finish.

One more item -- we'll be towing with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4-Dr 4X4. Any problems with the 5er hitch mount and the composite nature of theTacoma's bed? Is this a situation that becomes a "bridge to far," and therfore we need to reconsider the 17' with me outside in a tent?

Thanks -- and know we'll get some profound answers from you friendly folks.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #2

As with any purchase you want it to be the best you can afford and i do the same.What I look at is what do I really NEED.For example my first concern is sleeping space.This is a must for me.For my wife its a toilet.This will give you an idea of peoples differences.I beleive most makers of FG units on the market today are made very well.I think you would have to see and be in them to get a proper idea.I myself am looking at a new unit and have 3 in mind,so i am going through same process.
Good luck in your future and welcome
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
both the Scamp and the new Escape 5.0 are great units! If I was getting the deluxe scamp i would just have them leave out the carpet... they will install Leno but at extra charge or just leave it bare so you can install the flooring yourself w/o ripping up the carpet... Just depends on what floor plans you like best... I dont have the deluxe 5th wheel scamp, but I really like it for my needs ( just me and the doggies) I had the laminate flooring put in.. ( really like that )
As far as towing with the newer Tacoma.. i think the newers beds are lighter than the older ones and some reinforcements need to be done to anchor the hitch. There was some discussion some where on the boards . I tow mine with a Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 L 6cyl... its like nothing is behind me......
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #4

Looking for a link or thread that will direct me to someone's interior pix of a Scamp 19' (5th wheel) Custom. Primarily interested in seeing the layout and the woodwork used in Scamps' Custom option. Tried a seach on this site and was not very successful.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Does our Scamp Album not have the views you are looking for?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Ed,

Go to Yahoo Groups and sign up for the Scampers Overflow II group. There you will find Don D. who owns a 2005 Scamp Deluxe 5th wheel. He pulls with a 2 wd Tacoma and said he's had no problems towing with it. He has lots of pictures with numerous modifications. He is also willing to share his experiences.

We have a 1997 Scamp 5th wheel deluxe with the maple cabinets and the large refrigerator. The floor plan (same as Don's) is the bottom one on Scamp Trailers' webpage:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/indexa015.html?PageID=30

We are very pleased with the amount of storage, counter top space, large bathroom, and private loft bedroom accessed by steps. We have no plans on replacing it anytime soon.

While searching for a camper we were fortunate enough to find someone within 20 miles willing to let us check out his 5th wheel camper. If you ask around you will probably get lucky too.

Best wishes on your search.

Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

Quote:
If I was getting the deluxe scamp i would just have them leave out the carpet... just leave it bare so you can install the flooring yourself w/o ripping up the carpet... Just depends on what floor plans you like best...
I agree with Christi V about leaving the carpet out, if you asked they might put in the flooring for you(?). With the Scamp Custom you can also get a varity of floor plans, make up you own also (I believe). Give them a call, 1-800-346-4962

We looked at a Custom at the factory while ours was on the list to get made, they are nice, with the bed room up stairs out of the way, gives a lot more living space down stairs.

However, they are 19' not 17' which is better.

I would not think you would have any problems pulling on, nor the Scamp folks putting the hitch onto your unit. Ask them if you call. Also ask for a DVD video on how they are make, etc. or a VCR type if you like it better.

The Escape looks really neat from photos that is.

Here is a Quote from the Scamp site: "Custom interiors allow for flexible floor plans and layouts. Have something special that you would like to have designed into your Scamp? Give us a call. We can tell you if it is possible to do."

Happy Travels
the DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
I would not think you would have any problems pulling on, nor the Scamp folks putting the hitch onto your unit
I was told by Scamp that you will have to have reinforcements in the beds of the newer Tacoma's... only because they are made now of some lighter composite materials.... so reinforcment is necessary. If the reinforcements are put in by someone else Scamp can mount the hitch for you but they wont do the reinforcments the bed needs.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... we'll be towing with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4-Dr 4X4. Any problems with the 5er hitch mount and the composite nature of the Tacoma's bed?...
Ian and Paddy are towing their Escape 5.0 with a Toyota, which I believe is a Tacoma. There are photos of their rig, including hitch details, in Escape 5.0 has hatched!. I don't know if all Tacoma boxes are composite, so I don't know if theirs is... but personally, I would bracket the hitch to the frame anyway, so the box material is not very important.

The Scamp high-mounted ball hitch has its own mounting considerations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Ian and Paddy are towing their Escape 5.0 with a Toyota, which I believe is a Tacoma. There are photos of their rig, including hitch details, in Escape 5.0 has hatched!. I don't know if all Tacoma boxes are composite, so I don't know if theirs is... but personally, I would bracket the hitch to the frame anyway, so the box material is not very important.

The Scamp high-mounted ball hitch has its own mounting considerations.
It's a Tundra, not a Tacoma.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #11

Mary -- perfect!

That's what I was looking for but could not find with a search.

One question -- is yours "stock" or custom? Pix 11 and 12 look like the maple that would be in the custom; however the other pix with the darker wood, and white cabinets, and wrought iron supports look like the stock version.

Thanks for theinfo.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #12

Ed, perhaps I can help. Both are "stock". The "standard" Scamp fifth wheel has the fiberglass interior. All of the wood interior Scamps are "Custom Deluxe" models and built in Scamp's custom shop where they're made to order for an individual customer's special order. They have several "stock" floorplans from which to choose, and the individual customer can special order any custom design they want from there.

The Custom Deluxes come in both Honey Oak and the Birch, depending on what the customer chooses. I had two Custom Deluxe Scamps, an '02 16' side dinette trailer and a '00 19' fifth wheel, both in honey oak.

I have photos of both you can see in my albums here:

Trailer Albums

Roger
Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, I'm one of the fortunate few that's actually seen the inside of the new Escape 5'er...and several Scamp 5'er Deluxes....both front bathroom and sidebath models. My choice, because of sleeping area would be either the Escape or a sidebath Scamp....so the bed can be front to back...not curb to curb. I'm not INTO crawling over someone in the middle of the night to use the "facilities." However, the Escape has a huge bathroom in comparison to the sidebath Scamp...if that's a concern. Then too, the Scamp with front bath has the optional 6 cu fridge...the largest in the Escape is 5 cu ft. So many choices, so many decisions. And the only one that can decide what works best for you...is you! The only thing I can tell you about all that wood...is all that BROWN gets tiring. I have a 16' Deluxe, between the tan walls, the brown maple cabinets and a brown carpet....I need COLOR. So, I'd go with lino on the floor and colorful throw rugs. As nice as the wood floor look is, I think it's best in a white cabinet trailer....not when already surrounded by BROWN.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #14

Roger:

Perfect! That was exacrly what I was looking for. Wife and I are interested in a new 19' Scamp Custom Delux. Your photos showed me exactly what I was looking for. I know yours was a 2000, but I'd like mine done similar to waht you had. I like thecabinets all the way round the roof. I was surprised the Honey Oak was lighter than I expected -- we are interested in the Birch, so I assume that is lots lighter.

Did you order the refrig from Scamp? Or is that custom -- wife would really appreciate that.

Again -- thanks for the info.

Ed
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Mary -- perfect!

That's what I was looking for but could not find with a search.

One question -- is yours "stock" or custom? Pix 11 and 12 look like the maple that would be in the custom; however the other pix with the darker wood, and white cabinets, and wrought iron supports look like the stock version.

Thanks for theinfo.
Ed, If you haven't already found it, there's an [b]ALBUMS link at the top of the screen. (That section is not part of what our Search function looks through.) We have pics of many trailers (and a few members) in our albums...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #16

Mary:

Thanks again -- my wife always tells me I never look carefully enough -- must be why one of most oft used expressions is, "Where is the ______ ?" You can fill in the blank with most anything. (Even misplaced the car once -- but that's another story for another time).

I was looking for Albums, but who would have thought to look at the top of the page -- that's why I tried the search function.

I knew I'd find friendly and helpful people on this site.

Ed
Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #17

Ed, I found both of them used; and both here at FiberglassRV.com. The refrigerators in both were factory stock items. The larger fridge in the 19' was really nice, and it's the same size I now have in both of my Bigfoot trailers.

Roger
Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Ummm, maple??? I thought Scamp 19' Deluxe only came in Honey Oak or Birch

"We can custom outfit all of our Scamp models with deluxe hardwood interiors. Available in oak or birch with melamine countertops, these custom interiors will set you in the lap of luxury."

I have to admit, however, that the photo on the Scamp site looks a lot like maple, which is what really counts
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #19

Thanks all for the good info.

Pete: You're right -- it is Honey Oak or Birch. I saw pix of the Honey Oak but it sure looked light, almost like maple. I'm assuming then Birch will be lighter than the oak. We guess this is really a case of seeing the two "live" so I can decide which we prefer.

Thanks again.

Ed
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #20

Ed (and all)

I merged your request for photos of the Scamps with this thread as it was covering some of the same territory.

Roger

Tags
escape, scamp