Escape verses Oliver - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The OP also mentioned not camping below freezing. That alone would make me put a 4 season rig lower on my totem pole due to weight and $, regardless of brand........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:20 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Is there an advantage to a double axle, or does this just depend on weight of trailer?
Dwain
It really is all in the design of any trailer to it needing a tandem or not. Like others have said, length and weight pretty much decide it. I like towing tandems better than a single axle but haven't had a problem with either. Four things about tandem axle trailers. Generally only one axle has brakes. It's always the rear tire that gets punctured as the first tire tosses up the road hazard just perfect for the rear tire to eat . Having a blowout with 2 axles keeps the trailer from bottoming out unless both go on one side. The tire that comes apart is always on the plumbing side and takes it out too .

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #31

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Speaking on the getting a flat benefit. Had one on the highway this winter, doing 60ish, in the rain, on a dark highway. It felt like I was driving over a metal bridge, it was buzzing and the rig was just vibrating some. A check of the mirrors showed the left rear was blown. I'm sure it took under a minute to notice the issue and pull over. No damage to the Escape other then the rim is somewhat scraped and scratched up.

Dual axle does not turn as tightly as a single.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
My single axle 17 foot Casita always drug the rear receiver hitch pulling out of my driveway. My dual axle 19 foot Escape is not close to dragging.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 AM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
There are no right or wrong answers to the query in the title. Everyone has opinions based on their own wants and needs, which will not be the same for any two people. Even those with identical trailers use them differently.

I agree completely that there is some better design elements to the Oliver. 90% of the RV industry uses the same lower quality products for finishing. Escape is always improving though with some key elements as they discover items that are more prone to poor performance, especially in critical areas.

I looked hard at the Oliver in 2008, but for me just could not get past to what me appeared to be an institutional looking interior, not warm and cozy. Even a warmer colour gelcoat would help, but they would not accommodate this. This, the layout and the cost were what took it out of the running for me.

At the time Escape announced it would be releasing a 19' model, and I got all over that and was one of the first to own one, and loved most things about it.

The one HUGE factor for me is the fact that though the Oliver is better outfitted than the Escape, there is very little you can do to remodel any of the elements. With Escape it is very easy to do this. While a stock Escape 5.0TA is ready to go and make camping memories, I recognized that for my tastes it could use some upgrading to some key elements. The main elements were just fine, I just wanted something upgraded for fit and finish, and have the capacity to improve them. Escape accomodated my requests quite well where they could, which is allowing me to eke out lots of storage space, use some top quality products, and make the trailer my own. Not much chance for rebuilding the cabinetry in an Oliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Luan is Philippine mahogany plywood of three plies and about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. This is also a common building material for drawer bottoms and thin partitions. It is also called door skin. It's light, glues well, staples fairly well, accepts finish well, but is not very strong. Not good for drawer fronts or bulkheads, for instance. So it's fine for low weight and in low stress locations.
Most of this I agree with, except the fact that it is actually very strong, and the stuff that Escape uses adds strength to the cabinetry quite a bit. I have been cutting and using up a couple 4x8 sheets in my remodelling, and was surprised to find out it is fibre reinforced. I would have loved to use a different product, but the cost was quite prohibitive, and am glad it does possess the strength it does have given its light weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Actually, if you were to buy an Airstream, I would not be impressed at all. Since they were sold, from everything I have heard, quality has been on a downward spiral. And I find their layouts not enticing.
In chatting with Robert Johans, the designer of the Nest Caravan, he is quite impressed with the quality they use, and their attention to detail. There may be some elements where they have not done so well, but every manufacturer has this.

But I definitely agree about the layouts, not unless you get into the larger trailers do they have ones that seem more usable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwainkitchens View Post
Is there an advantage to a double axle, or does this just depend on weight of trailer?
Dwain
I have towed many different trailers of all sizes, and with these lighter trailers one of the many reasons for dual axles is definitely stability, especially as they get longer. It also helps smooth out the trailer's ride too, as bumps and dips are smoothed out with tandem wheels going over them. Heck, there is not a travel trailer out there that could not use a single axle, they make them for just about any weight rating an RV could have, it is more about how they handle and tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #34

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The OP also mentioned not camping below freezing. That alone would make me put a 4 season rig lower on my totem pole due to weight and $, regardless of brand........
The OP actually said " FRIGID " temperatures , which to a Floridian could be anything below 70 Deg F. We were camping in Florida when the temperature dropped to 27 deg F and they were talking about closing schools ! .
My point , is the OP talking about Minnesota FRIGID or Florida
FRIGID ?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #35

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I never experienced any better handling from a tandem, but I sure got waaaay more flats. The front tire seems to position nails perfectly for the rear to be stabbed.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
But I am sure and you will probably agree with me that there is a small handful of Oliver owners who bought them because they just had to have what they considered the "Cadillac" of trailers and think they are impressing others, just as some people will purchase stainless steel appliances and granite countertops for their home simply because SS and granite are the current "in thing." Remember avocado and yellow appliances in the 60s and 70s!
There may be one or two who buy an Oliver to impress, but I haven't met them yet. Heck, most folks don't even know what an Oliver is, how it's made or the cost. I get asked all the time what model Casita am I pulling!

We wanted a trailer that would go anywhere, anytime (within limits of course). We've' been out in temps in the 100's and also in the low 20's with snow. Our neighbor has an original 2008 Oliver with a billion or so miles on it and it still looks new inside and out. The white interior isn't for everyone and doesn't have the warmth of the wood tone cabinets and carpet walls. But, once you hang a few things it gets the right feel. It's a breeze to keep clean.

We like the Escape and Bigfoot trailers, too. Everyone has their own decision points. It's a great thing that there are a number of quality fiberglass manufacturers that give us choice. Mike
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #37

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Thanks everyone for your comments. Couple of more question from someone who knows nothing:
1. With the smaller unites of the Oliver or Escape, typically how often does the waste need to be dumped. Is it as easy as hooking up a hose from the unit to the waste disposal and flipping a switch? Is there a cost involved if you are already paying a fee to stay at RV Park?
2. How long can a typical shower last. If you DON'T have a hot water tank, but the machine that heats the water instantly, last longer? Do these work well? Can you keep a hose hooked up to the unit so you are not taking fom the water tank of unit?

As you see, total novice.

Thanks so much for info!
Dwain
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #38

Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
With a "full hookup" space, you can run a waste hose to a connection provided by the trailer park or campground. The sewage connection will then be continuous throughout your stay. Full hookup sites include water, electrical, sewage and sometimes cable TV connections.

The cost of the spaces normally include whatever hookups are provided. Some spaces only have water, and some have only water and electrical; it varies. Spaces with more utilities generally cost more. Yes, you can hook the water supply directly to the trailer so you don't have to operate from the water stored on-board. At least that is typical; if you buy an older trailer as many owners on this forum do, that might not be true in a few cases.

If the sewage connection is not at the site where you stay, there is usually a "dump site" on the way out of the park. (These can be located by seeing the long line of RVs waiting to dump before they leave on a Sunday morning!) They generally don't cost any additional, but it seems that sometimes they will charge you a few dollars. In Washington we also have some dump sites at some of the State's highway rest areas. I think those are free.

Some parks charge 50 cents or so for each three minutes in their showers. We do this a lot at State parks here in Oregon and Washington. My wife takes lots of quarters with her.

Is dumping the waste easy? It's not terribly hard, but it does involve some practice and care to stay clean. Disposable rubber gloves are recommended. Read up on "the stinky slinky"!

If you have a full hookup site, I expect you could shower for "a goodly while" based on the 6 gallon hot water tank. At 2.5 gallons per minute (average home shower head flow rate) you could probably easily get some 5 or 10 minutes or more. You could stretch that out by throttling the shower head. A tank-less water heater in theory would last as long as your water supply.

On the other hand, if the shower water is going into the trailer's holding tank, then you probably want to minimize how much flows into the gray tank. Our Casita has a 32 gallon gray tank that receives water from the sinks and shower, and a 16 gallon black tank to serve the toilet. These are "sort of" typical capacities; they vary between brands and models.

Even if you don't buy a Casita trailer, I highly recommend investing in a copy of the Casita Trailer A to Z Owner's Guide which you can purchase online. It has a tremendous amount of information and it is very well organized. Much of what it says will apply to your experience with any trailer.

I think it would help you in understanding what features to shop for in a trailer, and also in owning and using it once you have made a purchase. As just one example, it has a step-by-step listing of how to dump the holding tanks!

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #39

Name: Dwain
Trailer: Searching
Florida
Thank you so much for your detailed response.
Very helpful information!
Dwain
Old 05-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #40
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
With a "full hookup" space, you can run a waste hose to a connection provided by the trailer park or campground. The sewage connection will then be continuous throughout your stay.

I would be careful with this quote. Yes, the sewage connection will be continuous throughout your stay, BUT you should leave the valves closed and only dump them, black first, when they are close to full. The dump valves should not be left open throughout your stay unless you want big problems down the road.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #41

Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
With a "full hookup" space, you can run a waste hose to a connection provided by the trailer park or campground. The sewage connection will then be continuous throughout your stay.

I would be careful with this quote. Yes, the sewage connection will be continuous throughout your stay, BUT you should leave the valves closed and only dump them, black first, when they are close to full. The dump valves should not be left open throughout your stay unless you want big problems down the road.
Agreed!

This might be a good example of why it can be good to read a book rather than a forum when you are looking for the basics.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I looked at a 21 foot escape and 23 foot Oliver, both fairly new, at the recent FiberglassRV rally in King City, CA. I really liked the Escape 21 layout and interior. the GVWR is well within safe range of my Tacoma 4x4.

inside of the Oliver: https://goo.gl/photos/SQQX6RZo6EGeW3918
(a bit over decorated for my tastes, but hey, to each there own, these folks were living full time in it, got it 3 months ago)

inside of the Escape 21: https://goo.gl/photos/zFkx16vqDb3H6TCKA
(thats a 360 degree VR picture, drag it around to see all sides).

Tags
escape, oliver