Escape's are 1/8" thick?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Escape's are 1/8" thick??

So I emailed Escape and asked if they considered a layout for the 5.0TA to include a set of recliners - which could be more beneficial than the dining room table to a couple that is full timing it for a while. A place to relax, kick feet up, read, or TV while raining. Here was the reply:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your response.

In order to provide our customers with such a lightweight trailer, the fiberglass shell of our trailers is only 1/8” thick. We utilize the cabinetry on the inside to provide the structure and rigidity. Unfortunately, if we were to remove any interior components to allow for recliners to be installed it would jeopardize the structural integrity of the trailer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sarah Morelli, Customer Service

Im not completly sure, but I believe my Casita is THICK - like 1/2" or 3/4" - its a lot. I just thing 1/8" is pretty thin - whats your thoughts?? We want a 5.0TA VERY bad - but 1/8" thick?? Got me a tad worried. Any comparisons? How thick is a Casita? Anybody know how thick a Bigfoot is?? A Bigfoot is our other option we are considering. I realize they are heavy - but that may be ok for us.

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Fiberglass trailers are all constructed similar, most are 1/8" thick.. I own a Boler and Escape right now and they are both about 1/8" thick shells, I previously owned a 2008 Casita FD and I can assure you it was also 1/8" thick. If the shell was any thicker the weight would be incredibly heavy.

When you add the insulation and inner lining it is thicker but the actual structural fiberglass is about 1/8" on the units I have owned.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
The Fiberglass in my Bigfoot is about 1/8 " thick. The foam and lightweight paneling make the total thickness about 1 inch total. I believe all fiberglass trailers have very thin fiberglass material and all manufacturers use the cabinets etc. to add structural integrity.

I like your idea of recliners in back but I'm afraid it would not work.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

Ohio
Ok, Well Im learning every day! Thanks for that information!! I was confused because the round fiberglass plug that Casita uses to hold on the spare tire is a THICK circle. Maybe it came from an interior cutout part - not the exterior. Also, Im 250lbs and I get up on the roof of the Casita and it doesn't budge! I guess the shape keeps it strong! Thank you everybody!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 10-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
YEARS ago, I talked to Reace about not having a rear dinette, but wanting two recliners instead. He said then it wasn't possible, because the rear cabinetry provided support for the back end, otherwise it would be "floppy." Besides where are you going to put all the "stuff" that's under the cabinets? Like electric, hotwater heater, etc. There's only so many places to put that stuff and frankly after thinking about it.. I'm grateful I have cabinets where I can put my clothes and dishes. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

Ohio
Im with ya Donna - would miss the storage and table etc. But man, if they could somehow get 2 recliners in that package.....the 5.0TA would be the PERFECT full timer for the Mrs and I. Oh well - I still have to WORK for 10 more years anyway so whats it matter.....haha

Thanks again!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Im with ya Donna - would miss the storage and table etc. But man, if they could somehow get 2 recliners in that package.....the 5.0TA would be the PERFECT full timer for the Mrs and I. Oh well - I still have to WORK for 10 more years anyway so whats it matter.....haha

Thanks again!!
We should look for a Silver Cloud! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silvercloud Travel Trailer | Claresholm, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #8

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
The Lil Snoozy is built like a fiberglass speed boat, so instead of 1/8" thick walls, they are almost 1/2" thick, and the floor is double that, so they do not need any support to help keep their shape & strength. The Lil Hauley is a cargo trailer version of the LS. I believe that the Nest Caravan is built the same way.
Dave & Paula
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
The Lil Snoozy is built like a fiberglass speed boat, so instead of 1/8" thick walls, they are almost 1/2" thick, and the floor is double that, so they do not need any support to help keep their shape & strength. The Lil Hauley is a cargo trailer version of the LS. I believe that the Nest Caravan is built the same way.
Dave & Paula
2500 lbs dry weight for 13 ft of living space is the penalty for thick glass......

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 AM   #10

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Charlie, it is a little larger than that, and many find it worth the extra wt.

Lil Snoozy Specifications

Overall Dimensions
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. (encompasses tongue to rear of AC unit)
Height: 7 ft. 7 in.
Width: 8 ft. (from outside tire to outside tire)

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14 ft. 6 in.
Interior Width: 6 ft. 6 in.
Interior head room: 6ft. 4 in.
Bed Size Area: 63 x 79 (34 sq. ft.)
Overall Living Space: 95.25 sq. ft.

Overall Weight: 2500 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 185 lbs.

The Snoozy comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortabl
Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We should look for a Silver Cloud! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silvercloud Travel Trailer
Donna!!! I had NO IDEA a such thing even existed!! I WANT ONE!!! What a perfect way to go! With a 1/2 ton TV, its fine. We could work on it and use it as we are waiting for retirement - like add new appliances etc. Ever have one of those days where you cant stop thinking about something?? Well, this is going to be one of those days!! Now we need to find one in reasonable price and condition.

Do we know what years they were made?? Id like to find one of the newest models available. We've got the Casita to hold us over, and years till we go full time - so time is on our side for this!

THANK YOU
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here are a couple of other options for you, Joe.

In this recent Bigfoot sale, I noticed that the owner had removed the side dinette in a 21' model and put a pair of chairs and a side table in its place. Not exactly recliners, but they look comfortable.
SOLD 2006 Bigfoot 25B21FB 21' trailer $19,250 Excellent with many extra's!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigfoot.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	90141

A Lil Snoozy is self-supporting, as David mentioned. The standard floor plan has a queen bed up front in the "nose cone" and a jackknife sofa facing the entertainment cabinet. I don't see any reason why you couldn't delete the sofa and put whatever chairs you wanted in its place.
Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

Name:   Lil Snoozy.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  7.5 KB
Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
2500 lbs dry weight for 13 ft of living space is the penalty for thick glass......
The glass is not thick. It's two thin layers (less than 1/8" each) with some kind of honeycomb-type layer in between. The net result is comparable to other molded fiberglass trailers of similar size.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Donna!!! I had NO IDEA a such thing even existed!! I WANT ONE!!! What a perfect way to go! With a 1/2 ton TV, its fine. We could work on it and use it as we are waiting for retirement - like add new appliances etc. Ever have one of those days where you cant stop thinking about something?? Well, this is going to be one of those days!! Now we need to find one in reasonable price and condition.

Do we know what years they were made?? Id like to find one of the newest models available. We've got the Casita to hold us over, and years till we go full time - so time is on our side for this!

THANK YOU
Don't get in to much of a frenzy. The Silver Clouds are few and far between and, like many other BigFoots, can get a bit on the heavy side.

Tags
escape