Estimating Drive Time - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #15

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
You can skip the drivel and go to the last sentence.

One of the "rules" of computer performance analysis is that all computers wait at the same speed. Likewise, drivers who drive 10 MPH over the speed limit and drivers who drive 15 MPH under the limit wait at the same speed at traffic lights and other stops. When stop times become non-trivial then a linear percentage of the e.g. "Google speed" will fail.

Douglas Adams [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase..._to_the_Galaxy ] said that " The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. ' was 42. I think it's 50 MPH.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
for me when I travel with my wife it will depend on how many Costcos, samsclubs ,outlet malls are on the way. It took 4 days to go from Windsor ont to LA by myself one way and 11 days to take the exact same route back with my wife .

Old 11-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #18

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ha, another 50 mph-er! I do a mix of interstates and state highways, doing 55-65 tops. I definitely pad a couple of hours onto the google maps estimated times.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Probably that 25% longer is a good rule. We use a GPS but sometimes have to put in closer destinations one at a time if we want a route different than the most direct. We do the same when figuring times online. Haven't been near Atlanta in several years, traffic was crazy when we were there.
Traffic in and around Atlanta is usually horrible as we live an hour south and avoid it at all costs...

Also, GPS is not always accurate and reliable as far as time estimates or arrival times...this weekend we took I-20 going to Henderson NC instead of I-85 all the way up, GPS said time was almost the same as going up I-85 but it wanted to take us all the way to I-95 then north, needless to say it was way way longer than 6+ hours, so we took I-85 home and it was pretty close...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #20

Name: Nettz
Trailer: UHaul
North Carolina
I have traveled through Atlanta many times (only twice towing my trailer though). Timing your travel through is essential. Rush hour starts early on both ends so if you can hit the city perimeters between 11 and 3 AM, or travel through at night that is best. I avoid ! 285 like the plague if at all possible. There is never a good time there and all of the major through truck traffic is on 285. Just plan on going straight through on I 85, stay in the middle lane, try to stay far enough back from sign-blocking rigs so that you can read your lanes ahead of time (better yet, use a GPS with voice directions that tell you what lane you need to be in - I use Google maps on my phone) and take advantage of kind truck drivers who have almost always made allowances for me to change lanes. (Maybe they are just nervous about a white-haired old lady towing an old U-Haul. ;-) )
Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Many years ago an over-the-road trucker told me the very best time anyone can reasonably expect to maintain is 50 miles per hour on the road. Since I started keeping records in 1983 that rule of thumb (50 miles per hour on the road) has held true as a general average under good weather conditions. Bad weather makes that impossible. Bad accidents also will put an end to any hope of achieving that magic 50.

I have a personal maximum whenever I travel with my travel trailer...that is about 200-250 miles per day....always trying to arrive at a campsite in the daylight and avoid setting up in the dark. Our goal is to enjoy the journey and not try to add the stress of "beat-the-clock" to our travels.
Norm and Ginny have the best system...slow down and smell the roses!

We do advanced research on our route....use campground directories to select possible campgrounds for overnight stays...call ahead to be sure space is available....always have alternate campgrounds on our list especially in "High-Season".....always be flexible when traveling.

Happy Camping.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
One point is consistently true...
The faster you drive, the smaller percentage of that speed becomes part of the average.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
One point is consistently true...
The faster you drive, the smaller percentage of that speed becomes part of the average.
And, since intersections are implicated in many accidents, it follows that one should speed up and spend as little time in the intersection as possible.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #24

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, since intersections are implicated in many accidents, it follows that one should speed up and spend as little time in the intersection as possible.
A total non sequitur!
.................................................. ..............................................
Let me explain the point using arbitrary figures...
If you drive @60 MPH you might average 54MPH, a loss of 10%
If you drive @70 MPH you might average 60MPH, a loss of 15%
This loss will increase as highway speed goes up.
Even on my bicycle,on a street course I must ride at 17MPH in order to average 15MPH, due to turns, stops, and traffic.

I doubt that speeding up for intersections would mitigate this effect,at least not for long!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
California
We are planning several trips for 2016. We usually aim for a maximum of 400 miles a day and find that we can make it there before dark, in time for supper. We have also learned that if the trip is, say, 700 miles, we go 400 miles the first day and 300 the second day. If the first day is just a stopover, then we don't need to be as early as the second day when we really want to be there in time to enjoy the place a little before dark and supper and of course, happy hour. We travel about 60 mph on the Interstates and good roads. With stops, 50 mph works good for us. We have lately been packing lunches and eating at a rest stop or parking lot, and that shortens the stop time.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
It's a joke, Floyd,
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #27

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's a joke, Floyd,
Thanks, its hard to hear inflection or see the expression on a poster's face!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Last trip westbound across Ontario from Ottawa took us 2& 1/2 hours extra to get thru Toronto. Has a bad effect on your MPG's too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
bad for mpg's.jpg