European fiberglass truck campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
European fiberglass truck campers

Seems the European manufacturers are light years ahead of the US, here is what they can do with a t/c, we already know what they can do to a travel trailer.
Startsida Camper AB

(click on the Union Jack for English version)
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Very nice truck camper. Thank you for the link, Jim. I really love the interior. Well organized, clean, great use of space.

Most of the words in the floorplan diagram are cognates, but I'll translate a few that might not be evident: "Kyl" is refrigerator, "Gardarobe" is closet or wardrobe. The others are pretty obvious, I think.
I'm sending a link to my high school friend who has lived in Sweden for the last 35 years. I think she'd like it, too... She surprised me with a visit last week, which was wonderful.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sleek and round! I like the interior... smooooth. Thanks for sharing the link Jim.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you click on the union jack flag in the upper corner, it will display the site in English.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Google has a "Translate" feature too. It's in the upper right as well.

I like the interior
I like the euro styling (reminds me of a Snoozy TC )
I like the contruction

I don't like the tiny windows

To me nothing is really cool unless I know what it weighs. I couldn't find the weight on the site, and the weight is everything. If somebody could build a nice 500 pound (or less) camper I would be impressed. It shows the camper on a small truck. My Tacoma has a load carrying capacity of 1200 pounds including passengers. You can over run that limit without blinking an eye with a camper.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here you go Dave, Santa heard your wish and here is an early xmas present you can dream about....
Pickup
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7

Arizona
That is sweet! ....and it's Swedish too. That weight includes a propane system as well. The euro philosophy is much more to my liking. Their stuff is functional and minimal. It's designed for smaller vehicles. Heck the Leer topper that I have on my truck weighs almost 300 pounds. Do a search for "light weight truck campers" and see what comes up from American builders . On the home page it will say "LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS CONSTRUCTION!!!!", then a few pages down in the site you find the actual weight is 950lbs . Where is the disconnect? I don't want anything on my truck that takes 6 guys to lift.
David
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
The CAMPER is $26,000 U.S. Don't know what this includes.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Fuel cost - market driver.

$7 to $8/US gal in EU has a lasting impact on market demand for low weight vehicles. US version of the little Fiat 500 is 6-10% heavier than the one in EU. In EU you can get one with 65MPG highway gas mileage and US version is 38MPG highway. If our gas would be $7-8/gal we would see this little Fiat with 65MPG in US or very low weight RVs.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As to price, it's difficult to compare prices with the value of the dollar dropping dramatically.

As to weight, there's not a lot of incentive in the USA to build lightweight products when large trucks are the leading selling vehicles or at least nearly so.

There's room for creativity in the American market place. I thing fiberglass trailers are symbolic of the potential in RVs, though as a group fiberglass trailers have pretty much stayed the same for decades.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to price, it's difficult to compare prices with the value of the dollar dropping dramatically.

As to weight, there's not a lot of incentive in the USA to build lightweight products when large trucks are the leading selling vehicles or at least nearly so.

There's room for creativity in the American market place. I thing fiberglass trailers are symbolic of the potential in RVs, though as a group fiberglass trailers have pretty much stayed the same for decades.
It's easier to throw horsepower at the problem.

We have the technology to make very light and strong campers / trailers. Many years ago "fiberglass" was a system of fiberglass cloth and resin. It's often called "handlaid" fiberglass. That system is at least 50% stronger than the sprayed in glass we have now. It is tougher and more resilient. Handlaid glass is amazingly strong and light. The reason it isn't used is the labor cost. Most people wouldn't pay the premium to get it, so those who would are just out of luck. You still see it used in high end boats, planes, and other other high performance products.

David
Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
It's easier to throw horsepower at the problem.
Throwing horsepower at the problem has been the American solution however with no federal mpg regulations this solution will become less of a possibility as well as the increasing fuel costs.

On this trip we have been in 6 campgrounds, all places we've been before, and except for Thanksgiving weekend, they have been comparatively empty.

Last year things were off in terms of RVers in Florida. This year it's worse. I'm sure it's a combination of fuel prices and fears about the economy but the result is there are a lot fewer RVers on the road.

Maybe fiberglass trailer owners don't notice fuel prices so much but the majority of RVers have larger more fuel thirsty RVs. Throwing horsepower and money at our bigger, horsepower needy solutions will eventually be a problem unless there is some energy breakthrough, where energy is cheap again.

Fortunately for us we have an inexpensive solution.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #13

Ecomotors

Norm,
(.................unless there is some energy breakthrough, where energy is cheap again......)

Inexpensive energy is likely a dream not likely to be fulfilled in my lifetime. I remember worldwide excitement about the cold fusion experiment in Salt Lake in the early eighties ending in slow, disgraceful technology death. This was a good example of people appetite for cheap energy.

Increasing efficiency in transforming chemical to mechanical or electrical energy is most likely to happen in our foreseeable future. The Ecomotors company is developing an internal combustion engine which is 50% more efficient than turbo diesel. I am not sure it would be pizzazzy enough for F150-ties, how would you sell 4 cylinders trucks, perhaps 8 pistons would be a good marketing spin.
EcoMotors
George.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Throwing horsepower at the problem has been the American solution however with no federal mpg regulations this solution will become less of a possibility as well as the increasing fuel costs.

On this trip we have been in 6 campgrounds, all places we've been before, and except for Thanksgiving weekend, they have been comparatively empty.

Last year things were off in terms of RVers in Florida. This year it's worse. I'm sure it's a combination of fuel prices and fears about the economy but the result is there are a lot fewer RVers on the road.

Maybe fiberglass trailer owners don't notice fuel prices so much but the majority of RVers have larger more fuel thirsty RVs. Throwing horsepower and money at our bigger, horsepower needy solutions will eventually be a problem unless there is some energy breakthrough, where energy is cheap again.

Fortunately for us we have an inexpensive solution.
There will never be a cheap solution. Neither industry nor government will allow it. Remember the idea of diesel cars and trucks? Much better fuel economy, so the gas companies simply doubled the price of diesel. Problem solved. If we double the fuel efficiency of gas cars, they will just double the price of gas. Government isn't going to give up their cut either. Even if we get to 1000MPG, government will simply monitor our driving and tax us by the mile. They are already planning that you know, just in case this whole fuel efficiency fiasco actually leads somewhere .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Norm,
(.................unless there is some energy breakthrough, where energy is cheap again......)

Inexpensive energy is likely a dream not likely to be fulfilled in my lifetime. I remember worldwide excitement about the cold fusion experiment in Salt Lake in the early eighties ending in slow, disgraceful technology death. This was a good example of people appetite for cheap energy.

Increasing efficiency in transforming chemical to mechanical or electrical energy is most likely to happen in our foreseeable future. The Ecomotors company is developing an internal combustion engine which is 50% more efficient than turbo diesel. I am not sure it would be pizzazzy enough for F150-ties, how would you sell 4 cylinders trucks, perhaps 8 pistons would be a good marketing spin.
EcoMotors
George.
Fascinating George, thanks for sharing that. Can you imagine how smooth that engine would run??? Virtually all the internal forces are self canceling. It should last a long time too since the bearing loads would be less. I wonder about power characteristics though. Long stroke engines generally produce more torque. This is a very short stroke engine, but maybe there is some advantage in the opposing pistons.

David
Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Isn't the EcoMotors similar to Subaru's boxer engine and the BMW motorcycle engine?
Both of these have horizontal pistons operating. Engine Comparison | Subaru Boxer Engine
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Isn't the EcoMotors similar to Subaru's boxer engine and the BMW motorcycle engine?
Both of these have horizontal pistons operating. Engine Comparison | Subaru Boxer Engine
The BMW, Volkswagon Beetle, and Subaru are all boxers, but the ECO uses opposing pistons. A single explosion moves 2 pistons simultaniously in oppositite directions. That is something that has never been done in any production vehicle that I'm aware of. I suspect the idea has been around for a while though.

David
Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #17

David,

I believe that this will be a high RPM engine but power and torque curves could be very different than in current designs. I agree with you that torque curve will not be flat, perhaps closer to a Wankel engine.

Bill Gates is interested and supporting this technology, that is good sign. Navistar and Zhongding Holding could become first companies bringing the technology to market. If China can build LCD plant in 6 months perhaps we will see this engine coming first from China.
I just hope that they will not run into a major snafu.

George.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This boxer engine, just don't drool.

George.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #19

Arizona
Love the graphics Man, I'm not lovin that timing chain though . Maybe it will survive in a diesel with the low RPMs

David
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Love the graphics Man, I'm not lovin that timing chain though . Maybe it will survive in a diesel with the low RPMs

David
Better chain than belt!