This might be better under "Mods" but.. it's a fun toy that really doesn't require any modification.. unless you consider connecting to a propane
bottle a mod.
I like a campfire as much as the next Joe or Jane.. I DON'T usually have one, however because:
1. It seems hardly worth the bother when you are camping alone
2. It is more common than not for them to NOT be allowed outside of established campgrounds, and private parks (Such as the one I am working in now) don't allow them.
3. I don't like buying questionable wood, and toting it along is a weight
issue I don't want to deal with.
4. Cleaning up after one is a pain.. When I am ready for bed, I am ready for bed and don't like waiting for the fire to burn out and dousing it is messy.
5. I have lung issues and really should limit my exposure to smoke.. and campfire smoke ALWAYS seeks me out :-P
The solution (Albeit a silly one)
This little puppy is a Fire Dancer Portable Fire Pit w/ Log kit
I paid 139 for the kit at Amazon.com.
It is small, but gives a big flame, and the vermiculite spreads it out evenly under the logs, which are light
as a feather.. they *feel* like Styrofoam, but I am sure that's not what they are. They are delicate when new, but burning them hardens them.. but does not change the weight
The whole thing goes together easily.. the lid has a screw handle on top, remove it, dump in the vermiculite, set the logs on top. Attach the hose and regulator (All built in) to a tank, open the inline valve.. light
. Walla. No muss, no fuss no bother. All the "stuff" once, installed, stays put for transport under the lid.
I haven't weighed it, but I am guessing it is under 10 lbs.
Here is a perspective on it's size
Big enough to be pleasant, but small enough to be portable and easy.
One of my fulltimers here has another brand, larger, and he has made a nice surround for it out of river rock. I have seen weekenders come in with other brands, all are about the same in this size range. Campfire in a Can
is a popular one.
I like the Fire Dancer better because of the lower profile and weight
, but both are good.