Experience's with a flat tire ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
While reading about having sway on the highway, I just had to take it one step further. If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize. I would really appreciate hearing from the members who have experienced having a flat tire while travelling on a hwy. or any other roads for that matter. All I can think of is to take my foot off the gas (no brakes !) and DON'T go near the gravel on the side of the road. Is there a chance the trailer will try and flip yah all on it's own. Is there actual control to be had ?
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Don't have personal experience with flat on trailer. However what to do depends on many variables. What does the TV weigh? What does the TT weigh? Is the TT tracking directly behind the TV? What is condition of shoulder? How wide is shoulder? Is there a drop off from the travel lanes to the shoulder? How tight are your trailer brakes adjusted? Is the shoulder pavement, gravel, or grass? Is there a ditch or guardrail to contend with?

Rule 1. Maintain or regain control of the TV and TT. Recommend no braking with TV brakes if you don't have control. If TT is swaying use TT brake manual override. Braking is OK if you can maintain control. Don't be afraid to slow way down in the travel lane until you can safely move to shoulder. People behind you will see (or should) you are in distress.

Rule 2. Stop as soon as possible, moving out of the travel lane as far as possilbe when prudent.

Rule 3. Call Road Service or take care of it yourself. If it is a road side tire, put out flares, flags, triangles, or some other warning device. If concerned about safety wait for police assistance. Call for them if you can. It is amazing how much slower traffic will go if there is a police car on the shoulder with it's lights on.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I completely blew a tire on our 16' Uhaul Vacationer coming back from Nauvoo, IL, on Interstate 88 last month. The tire came off in one complete round piece (retread?) and ended up on the side of the road. Luckily I was in the right lane doing 55 mph and it was the right tire that blew. I noticed the lean of the trailer immediately and slowed down as quickly as I could. I did use the brake, but lightly. (My trailer doesn't have brakes of its own) I probably drove close to 200 yards before coming to a stop by the side of the interstate but well off on the shoulder. On examining the rim, I found it too hot to touch for almost 30 minutes, so I ate my lunch and read a book. Then, I removed the tire, put on the spare, and, with the help of fellow campers the Watlings from Wisconsin, made it up the interstate ramp to the nearest truck stop about a mile away. It turned out I was OK to travel home the rest of the way, keeping the speed at about 45 mph on the road paralleling the interstate. When I got home, I went to my local UHaul dealership and ordered two new rims just in case I had damaged that one and so I would have a matched pair. Quite an adventure!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would really appreciate hearing from the members who have experienced having a flat tire while traveling on a hwy. or any other roads for that matter.
[b]Double axles can be really really nice to have.
On a weekend trip from San Diego to Palm Springs, we discovered upon arrival at our destination that the rear tire on the street side of the trailer was flat. There was no indication of anything wrong while driving, and I was puzzled, for these were new tires. Then, on closer inspection, I found the screw embedded in the tread. I changed the tire in Scott's driveway, where we were spending the weekend. After I got home, I had the screw hole plugged, and that tire is now my spare.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I didn't have a flat exactly but I did have a wheel come off the trailer while on I-75 in Atlanta.

I was driving along in the right lane(luckily) when I saw the right wheel go by me. It was rather bizarre and it didn't even dawn on me right away what had happened.

Then I saw the trailer tilted in the mirror and I could hear scraping over the sound of books on tape.

I had complete control(I think) and pulled onto the right shoulder.

I am convinced that what made the situation managable was the total dominance of my tow vehicle over the trailer. I can not state this strongly enough and it goes right to the question you asked.

I know a lot of vehicles will pull a trailer but there is a big difference in the type of manners the vehicle can impose on the trailer in my opinion.

I never want to be in that same situation with a car that I wonder about.

My Land Cruiser felt like it could have just kept going till the trailer fell apart and that is what I want in an emergency situation.

I have often thought about getting a Subaru or even a Honda Element but then I relive the wheel launching and reconsider.

Instead I am doing the only sensible thing.....Getting bigger Trailers?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Lots of folks (including me) have had flats and didn't even realize it at first. The 'lean' in the rearview mirror is the key.

BTW, if anyone should lose a wheel because the lug nuts/bolts came out, here's what to do to LIMP in to get more at an auto parts place -- Take a couple off the other wheel!

For the above, I have made the presumption that anyone who would be careless enough to lose the nuts/bolts would not be carrying spares...

Personally, I carry a complete set of bolts for an entire wheel (be sure to take one in to get the correct cone angle when buying new ones!), plus a spare dust cap, nut, cotter pin (or EZLube retainer) bearings (several sets, actually), grease and enough tools to completely replace and pack the new bearings (or carry them pre-packed in ZipLoc or TupperWare). I also carry a 12VDC compressor for airing the tires, plus a tubeless tire repair kit (don't even need to take the tire off if you can find the leak).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Good Advice Pete.
Too late for me but I do carry that same kit now.

The problem with that technique for me at the time was that I could not find the wheel/tire once it went its own way.
I went back later that night when traffic was thin and looked and looked to no avail.
I ended up at a junkyard the next day and bought some new steel wheels.

In my case the wheel came off because the nuts were not correct for the wierd aluminum wheels it had. At least that was the theory of the shop that helped me put it back together. They were plenty tight when I started but evidently worked loose as I drove.

I din't realize before that there are correct and incorrect nuts depending on the wheel size/material/type but I know now and no one was hurt.

Ed

Quote:
Lots of folks (including me) have had flats and didn't even realize it at first. The 'lean' in the rearview mirror is the key.

BTW, if anyone should lose a wheel because the lug nuts/bolts came out, here's what to do to LIMP in to get more at an auto parts place -- Take a couple off the other wheel!

For the above, I have made the presumption that anyone who would be careless enough to lose the nuts/bolts would not be carrying spares...

Personally, I carry a complete set of bolts for an entire wheel (be sure to take one in to get the correct cone angle when buying new ones!), plus a spare dust cap, nut, cotter pin (or EZLube retainer) bearings (several sets, actually), grease and enough tools to completely replace and pack the new bearings (or carry them pre-packed in ZipLoc or TupperWare). I also carry a 12VDC compressor for airing the tires, plus a tubeless tire repair kit (don't even need to take the tire off if you can find the leak).
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I have had all 3 of he original castita tires fail. the frist was while parked overnight i woke up and the traier was leaning. huge air blister when i put air back in the tire. the second 2 blow out on I 95 at 65 to 70 mph first thing i notices both times was a strange vibration followed by a loud noise and flapping rubber a few mins later. just took foot off gas and slowly braked to the shoulder of the road. going north a geogia sp car spoted and loaned me his flashing lights while i changed the tire and south bound it blow out as i passed a truck weigh scale and ended up changeing itre on the side of the acceleration lane. the hardst part about both blow outs was ccleaning up the wheel wells that black rubber is a pain in the butt to remove
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote