Experience with different fiberglass brands - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Name: Cherry
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Experience with different fiberglass brands

Hello,
We are beginning our search for a fiberglass camper and this forum has been very helpful. Because of the location, I have been looking at the Parkliner and the Lil Snoozy? Does anyone have experience with either of these? I really like the look of the Lil Snoozy, but before I plunk down the amount of money a fiberglass trailer costs, I want to have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. Seems like lots of Scamps and Casitas here, but if anyone can weigh in on one of the other brands it would be greatly appreciated.
CherryHartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Lindy
Trailer: 1978 Biggar
Alberta
BIGGAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHartung View Post
Hello,
We are beginning our search for a fiberglass camper and this forum has been very helpful. Because of the location, I have been looking at the Parkliner and the Lil Snoozy? Does anyone have experience with either of these? I really like the look of the Lil Snoozy, but before I plunk down the amount of money a fiberglass trailer costs, I want to have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. Seems like lots of Scamps and Casitas here, but if anyone can weigh in on one of the other brands it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a biggar camper for sale it's in great shape and Fiberglas. Selling for 6000 and I seen them being sold for 9000. It's a great little camper and has new flooring.
Lindyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Parkliner has a great design- where else can you get a 60" bed, separate bunks that can sleep full-size adults, and a full bath/shower… in 15'? But there have been some concerns posted about customer service. I can't speak personally, but my sense is that most of the owners are happy with their trailers, less happy with the company. You might want to do a Google site search on "Parkliner" and review some of the many discussions.

Escape is a long way from you, but they should probably be on your radar at least.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I hope you know that the Lil Snoozy is electric only.. no propane. So you need to consider your style of camping and how much flexibility you want. It also seems a little small to me compared to other Fiberglass trailers of similar weight (~2500 lbs) but I have not seen one in person.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
I owned a 13 ft scamp for 9 years and put thousands of miles on with no problems, now have a 17ft Casita for the past 5 years with no problems also including trips to Alaska, Nova Scotia , and the Blue Ridge Parkway several times. The casita is heavier, but pulls very well with less bouncing due to the weight. It also has a big refrig. And bigger bathroom. The bed we keep made up and use the side dinette. It is a great trailer, and is a '99 so 17 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Bill castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Best to use the search function at the top of the forum to see actual experiences folks have had with all brands. Search function works best if you use the bottom box (Google) on the drop down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is Parkliner still in business? I thought there was no response at all from them at this time.

http://www.lilsnoozyowners.com/ might be worth your while reading posts there.

You may not like the EggCamper but that is located in MI.

Are you looking strictly at used or new? Maybe both?

I agree with Carol on using the "Search" function in the top block of the forum since you can benefit from posts of people who may no longer be a part of the forum or who are out enjoying their trailers this summer.

Keep in mind that both of those manufacturers haven't been in business nearly as long as Scamp and Casita so you won't see nearly as many posts.

Good luck!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
New? Used? Budget? Layout? Tug capabilities? Lots of variables. We're here to help, but more information would help us help you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Our TV is a 2015 Toyota Highlander with tow package so rated at 5000 lbs and 500 lbs on hitch. There are two of us, retired, and a standard poodle. Neither of us are especially tall or big. We'd like some kind of bathroom, but I actually like the porta potty option better than the black water hose/ dump station. We rarely camp without electricity and don't do much cooking. We are currently camping in a 2006 Aliner Sport, basically a bed on wheels, and use a large screen tent with rain flaps for auxiliary space. We like state and national parks and the beach and dream of a cross country trip, limited now by responsibilities for three elderly relatives ages 91,94 and 97 so we are more weekend warriors. We are not particularly handy types so would be looking for a well- taken care of used or new unit rather than a fixer upper. Hope that profile might get us some feedback on ones to look for. Thanks so much.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #10

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Greetings Cherry and welcome to the forum. Lots of valuable info here so you've come to the right place for your research : )

Cari and I are in the third season of incorporating our Parkliner #35 into our camp set up most trips. I say "most" because we have a fully functional awd van conversion as a tow rig...so if we are going waaaaay off the beaten track we'll just take the van.

Your highlander will tow a fully loaded maxed out PL without any issue. The PL should come in ~2500lbs ready for adventure with a hitch weight at ~250-270lbs.

From what I hear all the _issues_ that some of us early adopters went through have been fixed with the new molds (tire rubbing, etc).

We had a visitor in our camp that had another FG brand that was two feet longer than our PL...he was amazed at how much more usable room in storage and comfort was in it over his rig.

You are fortunate in that PL factory is relatively close to your state...we had ours shipped out to the Oregon Coast with only a short visit to a prototype before choosing the Parkliner.

On facilities...like you, Cari and I much prefer just about any option that does not involve a black tank. So we went with the porta-potty idea in the PL that slides away behind a water proof storage area keeping the shower floor fully accessible during showers. Another one of those Ah Ha moments the visitor with the _other_ FG rig whished he had. Cari and I started out with a Toyota and Aliner Easy...though it did have all the creature comforts (full bath/kitchen/dinette and queen bed)...lifting that roof up/down was getting old!!

Best wishes on your shopping adventure!
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am biased, but I would say a 1979 to 1981 Trillium 4500 with a front dinette. Leave the queen sized dinette as a bed and the two of you use the front dinette to eat. No bathroom, but a porta-potty garage.
Simple, light, usable.
Good luck finding one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I hope you know that the Lil Snoozy is electric only.. no propane. So you need to consider your style of camping and how much flexibility you want. It also seems a little small to me compared to other Fiberglass trailers of similar weight (~2500 lbs) but I have not seen one in person.

Actually our LiL Snoozy has a lot more room than the Casita 17 or Scamp 16. The bed is a real Queen and the center aisle is wider. The headroom is taller to.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Name: Sandra
Trailer: ParkLiner #000
North Carolina
For a Parkliner, you will need to look for a used unit.
SandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraT View Post
For a Parkliner, you will need to look for a used unit.
Why is that Sandra? Just last week I got an e-mail from someone who just picked up their new one from Chandler. He also stated that he knew that 4 or 5 were in que. Did they go out of business since Thursday?
Sid
Btw
Going on two summers and I have been from Canada to Texas, the Adirondak's to the Grand Canyon, and a lot of places in between. The Parkliner has preformed flawlessly!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #15

Name: Sandra
Trailer: ParkLiner #000
North Carolina
Oh, well maybe Chandler is making some new units in a different work space. In January, I attempted purchasing a new unit, but was unsuccessful in placing an order. In May, Chandler himself made an upgrade on the used unit purchased from a previous owner. Believe me, I wish the Parkliner business would continue, and be great, but by outward appearances (what you can actually see), the factory is empty.
SandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
This Parkliner in NJ should be fairly close to you... have you looked at this ad?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-69025.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #17

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I was at a recent rally and a couple there bought a new LiL CozyThey had to take it back to the factory because of many water leaks. The said that they had it for months befor they got it back. It is an awsome looking unit however
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #18

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryHartung View Post
Hello,
Part of the equation is what you want in the TT and how much do you want to spend.

So ...
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies on types of campers. Looks like if we want to go new, it's Texas or Minnesota. In the meantime, I'll keep hanging out on this forum, which is very helpful, and maybe someday the right thing will come along.