Experiment: What's the Purpose of Holding Tank Vent? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Huck, If you have an A/C and use camping locations without hook-ups you might consider the option I employ as most of my camping is in remote no hook-up areas of the Adirondack Mountains....I added a inverter generator to my equipment to power the A/C and cool down my Travel Trailer and keep my battery charged.
Since you have a 5,000 BTU A/c chances are the 2400 watt inverter generator available at Harbor Freight Tools @ $499 might be just the thing and way cheaper than the Honda units. Once the sun sets your A/C would be able to handle the cool down fairly quickly.

Happy Camping!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #16

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
The white of your park liner is the best color to reflect the sun's energy. Making it black with fabric will only increase the temp, no matter what the supplier says. That said if you suspend the fabric above the trailer air currents can carry off the heat and your trainer may be cooler, especially if the breeze is strong. I would guess a gap of 12 inches or more would work. A white fabric would be better, but without an air gap probably no better than your naked PL. Trees are probably the best, if not as portable.

Good luck and Keep cool.

John

Old 05-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Be interested to see how it makes out in Frisco's wind.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Huck, If you have an A/C and use camping locations without hook-ups you might consider the option I employ as most of my camping is in remote no hook-up areas of the Adirondack Mountains....I added a inverter generator to my equipment to power the A/C and cool down my Travel Trailer and keep my battery charged.
Since you have a 5,000 BTU A/c chances are the 2400 watt inverter generator available at Harbor Freight Tools @ $499 might be just the thing and way cheaper than the Honda units. Once the sun sets your A/C would be able to handle the cool down fairly quickly.

Happy Camping!
Can't use generators after 10 pm (I think it's 10), but it still may be the best option. Hopefully it would cool down the trailer by 10.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
The white of your park liner is the best color to reflect the sun's energy. Making it black with fabric will only increase the temp, no matter what the supplier says. That said if you suspend the fabric above the trailer air currents can carry off the heat and your trainer may be cooler, especially if the breeze is strong. I would guess a gap of 12 inches or more would work. A white fabric would be better, but without an air gap probably no better than your naked PL. Trees are probably the best, if not as portable.

Good luck and Keep cool.

John
This particular product only comes in black. It had good reviews at a good price, so I tried it.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #20

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Be interested to see how it makes out in Frisco's wind.
I was going to have 2 bungee cords across the top width-wise and then 2 more length-wise that criss-cross, so all 4 corners would be fastened down. I don't think it would blow off or rip, but if the wind was blowing hard I never would get it to stay on long enough to tie it down! The 1st time I set my tent up at Hatteras, I turned my back for a second to pick up a tent spike and when I turned back, the tent was blowing across the campground.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #21

Virginia
One thing I noticed today when I was doing the experiment was that there is a lot of heat coming through the windows and the area around the vent.

I just ordered some emergency blankets and I am going to use 1 or 2 of them to make inside reflective covers for the trailer windows. To test this out, I will probably use cardboard backing and then glue the mylar to the cardboard and see how it works out on my next beach trip. I will also make something I can put up in the vent to block the hot air.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #22

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
It sounds like you are closing the trailer up to keep the heat out?

Mon
Old 05-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #23

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
It sounds like you are closing the trailer up to keep the heat out?

Mon
Like a house, it's cheaper to keep heat out than let it in and then cool it down.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Huck, we are currently camping on Ocracoke. It's very pleasant right now. Mid 70's today and 50's last night. We've had a steady breeze all day. Raz
Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #25

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Huck, we are currently camping on Ocracoke. It's very pleasant right now. Mid 70's today and 50's last night. We've had a steady breeze all day. Raz
I'm heading to Buxton Friday. I'll save Ocracoke for this fall.

The reason I'm working on finding a way to cool down the trailer is so I can spend some time in July and August on the OB. Last year I met a guy that spends most of the summer camping on the Outer banks in a popup camper. He said it would get over 110 in his camper during the day.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
One thing I noticed today when I was doing the experiment was that there is a lot of heat coming through the windows and the area around the vent.

I just ordered some emergency blankets and I am going to use 1 or 2 of them to make inside reflective covers for the trailer windows. To test this out, I will probably use cardboard backing and then glue the mylar to the cardboard and see how it works out on my next beach trip. I will also make something I can put up in the vent to block the hot air.
Reflectix from HD might work, it's fairly rigid. I use it for the vents in mine.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #27

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Reflectix from HD might work, it's fairly rigid. I use it for the vents in mine.
Thanks, just ordered a roll. I will have 1 day to get it cut and fitted before I hit the road.