Extended Travelers-wondering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Extended Travelers-wondering

How many fiberglass trailers owners travel for more than 3 consecutive months a year?

How many months do you travel?

What rig do you use? Your tow vehicle?

We've averaged 7.5 months a year for the last 14 years?

We travel in a Scamp 16, previously a Sunline 15.5 and a Casita 16.,

Presently tow with a Honda Odyssey, previously with a Honda CRV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've made a few short (under a month) trips, but 3 over 3 months, the last 304 days. I'm planning another long trip (Alaska & the Southwest) starting in June.

I travel solo in an Escape 17B, towed by a RAV4 Sport (V6 & Tow Package). 56,000 miles so far...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
How many fiberglass trailers owners travel for more than 3 consecutive months a year?

How many months do you travel?

What rig do you use? Your tow vehicle?

We've averaged 7.5 months a year for the last 14 years?

We travel in a Scamp 16, previously a Sunline 15.5 and a Casita 16.,

Presently tow with a Honda Odyssey, previously with a Honda CRV.

So does that make you a full timer and a part time homie?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Florida
Jim,

We're not full timers. The longest trip was a loop of the USA with a few zigs and zags lasting for 310 days in our Scamp 16. Absolutely wonderful and told us we could be fulltimers.

In the motorhome we did one 365+ day year plus when we went to Alaska.

We have met people like us, none in a fiberglass trailer though I'm sure there are some. Having traveled for 7 years in a motor home we knew the benefits of a small trailer after our first 2 month trip in a trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Oscar the Smiley Dog and I had been traveling 3 - 5 months a year on the road pulling a 2008 Oliver Elite with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. (85,000 miles so far) The last two years have been slow, but we're planning on hitting the road in a few weeks and not returning until the fall. Woohoo!

Norm, I met you and Ginny many years ago at a Hillapalooza rally near Austin, TX. I was amazed how far you had come ... All the way from NH! You both were an inspiration to me to get out there for long journeys. Thanks.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Florida
Pete,

Thanks for the kind words. Based upon the results of this little thread there are not many of us doing extensive traveling. I'm going to spend a little time thinking about the reasons why. Personally it's been so much fun.

Where are you heading over the next year?

In our campground this winter there is a couple that lead Adventure tours. This year they are doing a 58 day loop of the Canadian Maritime Provinces, all for $9495 a couple. Of course this amount is only tour costs, you still have your normal travel and living costs on top of this plus ferry charges.

Obviously we don't travel like this. Our two month maritime trip (mostly Newfoundland) all costs included are dramatically less than this. I would guess we spend around $3-4000 (without looking up past records).

Now they will cover a lot more miles, visiting the Gaspe and all the Maritime Provinces.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #7

Florida
Pete,

Ginny just got back from crafts. I mentioned your post without mentioning your name and she knew you immediately. She remembered your wife had died and that you had a cute dog. Is this correct? What kind of dog do you have?

Of course we're both wishing you well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Norm,

I hope to visit family and friends in central Florida followed by a slow, meandering wander northward with the temperature gradient, camping mainly in public campgrounds as I go along.

A stop by the Oliver factory may be called for so they can install some retro looking fiberglass fenders on The Wonder Egg. A nephew graduates with an M.F.A. In Durham, NH and I'd like to attend his poetry readings. The EggFestOntario gathering sounds like an opportunity to connect with other like minded travelers. Nova Scotia becons. There are some cousins in Montreal I'd like to meet. And I'm sure to think of some other things along the way.

Oscar the Smiley Dog wants us to resurrect the travel blog at peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com as we go along so friends may see what we've been up to in our travels. I'm looking forward to it all . . .

Oscar is a Miki . . . one of those rare breed types. He was Lynn's companion dog and he's now my traveling buddy. Non shedding, quiet, loving, perfect.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Florida
Pete,

We live about 15 miles from Durham. Unfortunately we'll be in Newfoundland until July 1st. If you're in our area after that we be happy to have you stop by for dinner, friendly Dogs welcome.

I looked up Miki and the dog is just as Ginny described.

Safe Travels, I'll PM you our home number, address and email address. I included our Central FL address.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16