exterior access hatch and exterior shower - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Graeme, in regards to removing the inside shower you may want to reconsider that if the resale value is of any concern to you. One of the top reasons people look for the old 1700 Bolers is for the bathroom & shower. Taking the shower out of the bathroom isnt going to save you a whole lot of space but it may cost you a whole lot of potential buyers if and when you sell the trailer. Having a private inside shower is more useful for those in Canada that like to head south in the winter and camp on BML lands etc (it might suprise you just how many Canadian fiberglass trailers you find out in the desert &/or in Mexico) or camp in the summer months in remote locations in Canada - all of which more often than not have others camping at them which makes privacy & only an outside shower an issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #22

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Thanks for the reply Carol. I think resale is not an issue as this is going to be a "retirement" project for my wife and I to travel in when we are retired... like 20 years from now! As for the bathroom we are keeping the toilet and maybe adding a sink and shelf for some toiletries. We only would need water outside to rinse off. I love getting different perspectives on these types of things. The other reason to take out the shower is there is a crack in the bottom of the shower pan. Being in construction I wouldn't trust a "fix". It also brings up the question of whether or not we need a water heater and this would provide more storage also. hmmmmm... so many questions!
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #23

Registry
Well Graeme having reach an age where I can do the longer trips for me the shower is a big bonus to have while traveling. Some of the best spots I have camped had no public showers. As far as the water heater goes if no shower then IMHO you can get away without one. If I am camping some place with showers I often dont turn on the hot water heater - easy to put a kettle on the stove for hot water needed for dishes.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #24

Ontario
It is great to hear the different perspectives (that's why I enjoy the posts) as someone may be in a different situation than I am now. Maybe we'll keep it and see about a new shower/toilet(can I call it a bathroom?)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Get the outside shower. Sometime you may be dry camping and want to wash your hair or do the dishes. Buy the front box for storing all those trailer items we men must carry. Order the insulation package.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #26

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
We bought our trailer used and it came with the outside shower. I use mine all the time for washing dishes instead of the little sink inside the trailer. I started out doing pots and pans out there and then as long as I was at it just ended up doing all of the dishes. I just set up a little folding table and a couple white tubs and don't have to worry about splashing water on the inside. But that's just me- I try to spend as much time outside while I'm camping as I can. Not telling you that you should for sure get it but just giving you other ideas to think about. Mine has never caused me any problems- cold or water infiltrations!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #27

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
access,,,,you can never have too much.
outside shower,,,,well,,,,aside from,,,woohooo! it depends on you personal campingstyle. my wife and i only camp where there are facilities,,as she just isn't into the roughing it thing. so for her,,,useless.
in a camp ground i suppose a y adaptor and extra hose coule be handy for rising sandy feet.
i do sometimes dry camp in state forests with not water hookups. usually there is a lake or river near by, for a rinse off. or my favorite 5 gallon plastic bucket with some water heated on the stove works just fine.

i have recently realised i am in a long term and very emotional relationship with my bucket. it has carried lunches and coffee and beer for me, it has carried fishing bait, and the fish i caught, it has carried squirrel, rabbit, ducks,quail,and woodcock. it has given me a seat when my feet were tired and my back was sore.it has been my comfort sitting in the woods hunting and on the lake ice fishing. it has carried water and washed my tired aching body at the end of a long hard day. it has carried groceries from the store, fruit from nature, books to read, my radio to enjoy. it has held iced drinks for me and my friends, morel mushrooms, and even carried home flowers for my beautiful wife. it securly totes things in my truck, camper boat, even on my bicycle. i do believe the simple plastic 5 gal. bucket is the single greatest invention of mankind. and you can get them for a dollar or two almost anywhere.

P.S. i am in no way associated with the plastic bucket industry, but i do salute them.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Gee, it sounds like if it had legs you would marry it
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #29

Ontario
Thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming! Follow up question: What is the insulation package???
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
On the Escape it is extra wall interior and exterior foam spray underneath the trailer that insulate the exterior tanks. You can also get 12v heaters for the tanks- look at the Escape trailer option list for details.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If I were the OP buying a new trailer and an exterior hatch was optional, I'd let the factory do it. DIY is a great method of expressing great ideas but sometimes the expression is not as great as is the idea. I'd choose factory for these reasons: the builder presumably has the experience to know what works. If this is a first trailer, the owner likely doesn't even know what tunkers and thunkers and jacks and snakes will need to go in there, so again, for the moment, the judgment of the builder should be trusted. The builder provides a warranty and I'll be damned if I'd be whacking or have whacked a sizable opening in the skin which might void all or part of that warranty. If a compartment is an "external" cmptmt., it should be exactly that, an "inny" or depression in the shell completely sealed off from the inside rather than simply another door to an interior cmptmt which may introduce moisture and drafts of cold and hot air.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #32

Ontario
Its an option if you are buying new or do you know if it can be ordered as a retro fit?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
P.S. i am in no way associated with the plastic bucket industry, but i do salute them.
Dang, starting t sound a little like the Red Solo Cup song of Toby Keith
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #34

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
I can't imagine not having my two access hatches and yes we installed them upside down just in case one came open. Since we don't use the big table, just as a permanent bed, it gives us excellent access to those two storage areas under the seats.
As for cutting holes in the your unit, I guess I am more concerned with convenience if I want something added since there were already 5 big holes and several small ones when our boler was built (doors windows, vents, etc).
We put in a fantastic fan which meant enlarging the hole where the original vent was. We also added a small window just beside the stove that I found in a junk yard. It was originally a horizontal window but we turned it vertical so we have cross ventilation at the front and daylight where we sit.
I also added another electrical cover outlet on the door side so I could pull out my extention cord which lives in the afore mentioned storage space. If you seal properly (no sloppy shortcuts) you won't have a problem.
We used to be in the old car hobby and decided when we got our boler, that one vehicle being maintained "in mint condition" was enough. The boler is our spring and fall "home", so we want convenience.
Just sayin, do what suits your purpose.
V & P
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #35

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
Its an option if you are buying new or do you know if it can be ordered as a retro fit?
Yes to both parts of your question. Reace and Tammy do a lot of retrofitting at their factory.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #36

Ontario
Great! Now who are they?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #37

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
Great! Now who are they?
They are the owners of Escape Trailer Industries.