exterior access hatch and exterior shower - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #29

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming! Follow up question: What is the insulation package???

Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
On the Escape it is extra wall interior and exterior foam spray underneath the trailer that insulate the exterior tanks. You can also get 12v heaters for the tanks- look at the Escape trailer option list for details.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If I were the OP buying a new trailer and an exterior hatch was optional, I'd let the factory do it. DIY is a great method of expressing great ideas but sometimes the expression is not as great as is the idea. I'd choose factory for these reasons: the builder presumably has the experience to know what works. If this is a first trailer, the owner likely doesn't even know what tunkers and thunkers and jacks and snakes will need to go in there, so again, for the moment, the judgment of the builder should be trusted. The builder provides a warranty and I'll be damned if I'd be whacking or have whacked a sizable opening in the skin which might void all or part of that warranty. If a compartment is an "external" cmptmt., it should be exactly that, an "inny" or depression in the shell completely sealed off from the inside rather than simply another door to an interior cmptmt which may introduce moisture and drafts of cold and hot air.

jack
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #32

Ontario
Its an option if you are buying new or do you know if it can be ordered as a retro fit?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #33

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
P.S. i am in no way associated with the plastic bucket industry, but i do salute them.
Dang, starting t sound a little like the Red Solo Cup song of Toby Keith
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #34

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
I can't imagine not having my two access hatches and yes we installed them upside down just in case one came open. Since we don't use the big table, just as a permanent bed, it gives us excellent access to those two storage areas under the seats.
As for cutting holes in the your unit, I guess I am more concerned with convenience if I want something added since there were already 5 big holes and several small ones when our boler was built (doors windows, vents, etc).
We put in a fantastic fan which meant enlarging the hole where the original vent was. We also added a small window just beside the stove that I found in a junk yard. It was originally a horizontal window but we turned it vertical so we have cross ventilation at the front and daylight where we sit.
I also added another electrical cover outlet on the door side so I could pull out my extention cord which lives in the afore mentioned storage space. If you seal properly (no sloppy shortcuts) you won't have a problem.
We used to be in the old car hobby and decided when we got our boler, that one vehicle being maintained "in mint condition" was enough. The boler is our spring and fall "home", so we want convenience.
Just sayin, do what suits your purpose.
V & P
Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #35

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
Its an option if you are buying new or do you know if it can be ordered as a retro fit?
Yes to both parts of your question. Reace and Tammy do a lot of retrofitting at their factory.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #36

Ontario
Great! Now who are they?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #37

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
Great! Now who are they?
They are the owners of Escape Trailer Industries.