EZ up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
EZ up

We will be looking for a new portable shelter this spring in a 10 x 10 or 12 x 12 what is the best made unit for the money out there. Our Colman lasted one weekend.

Jim h
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Jim, from my experience an Easy Up isn't so easy. Much like your Coleman my Easy Up took a beating the first trip out and the second and the third, but I will say it keeps on ticking like a Timex. Just a pain to get up!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My EZ-up is very heavy and difficult for one person to put up. I don't know if they make a lighter, more convenient model, but this one cost nearly $200 at Sam's Club, has solid walls (no screens), and is designed for use by concessionaires, (which is why I bought it). I'm now in the market for a lighter, more convenient screened room for camping trips.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Agree with Robin, we call them the Un EZ ups. We've had mixed experience. Had a lightweight one that collapsed. Bought a heavier one that is nice but takes 2 people and a lot of work to put up - has a top vent to help with the wind but weighs 50lbs! Recently bought a paha que cottonwood shelter: Amazon.com: paha que cottonwood
We bought the 12x12 (Dennis and Charlene have the 10x10). We used both the EZ Up and the paha que at the NOG this October. Had one really rainy day and the group agreed that the paha que worked the best, kept us dry all weekend, did well in the wind. It's a little spendy but the big one weighs about 20lbs and the smaller one about 16lbs, folds up fairly small. (Don't be fool by pictures if you go surfing for a good price - they are all orange).

Good luck,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
A quick search didn't turn up any screen sides for the "shade shelter" Paha Que, and the ones advertised as "screen rooms" looked very complex and cumbersome with awnings and guy-lines all over the place. Do the "shade shelters" have screens available? Freedom from bugs is the primary reason I'm looking for a shelter.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We have a Paha Que 12 x 12. It does take two to put it up but it is not hard after the first time. It is extremely well built. All four screen sides have side walls that roll up or can be made into awnings.

We had one at the Ohio rally and the wind was so bad a some people had to put the awnings away, but the screen house stayed fine. The hardest part about putting it up was probably the fact it was the first time and the wind was so bad.

With the sides down it can be warmed with a heater, things stay dry, sun can be kept out as needed with the roll down sides, and with the optional floor it can be used as a tent for your guests. Makes a great second room and kitchen.

They are quite pricey now. We got ours on Amazon right before there was a price hike. The company has good customer service.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave&Kathie had their orange paha que at the Fall NOG. As much rain as we got their picnic table, and site guests sitting in lawn chairs, were able to stay dry. I appreciated the orange color. Gray overcast skies didn't seem so bad under a bright canopy, it seemed like the sun was out while sitting underneath
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Happy new year

Yes, but luckily the park management allowed us to use the group shelter. We would never have all fit under a 12x12 cover. LOL

Actually, from my experience with "screen rooms" they act like a bug trap. It seems all the bugs are trapped inside trying to fly out the light colored roof.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all from Flag City RV Resort in Lodi, CA

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use our FirstUp from Walmart almost every time we camp. We spend almost all our time sitting out there. Propped against the UHaul, it keeps a lot of bugs out of the VT and off me. Makes a great party room too.

CindyL

P.S. However, it is easiest to set up with 2 people .
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We liked David&Kathie's Paha Que so much we bought one of our own. It's till in the bag, never been used. Ah. That's about to change as we prepare to migrate south for the winter.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
We really like our Swiss Gear Screen Room. Can be used with or without screen sides and privacy panels.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010005.jpg   P1010018.jpg  

Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Another vote for the Paha Que. I too experienced it at NOG. I don't own one yet, but its on my list of must haves.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
EZ up was much easier with four people. Each one grabbed a leg and walked backwards!

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As CindyL said, we use a FirstUp and have done so for 3 summers of trips. We've only had to replace the canopy in 3 years, so it is well built. We got a bit of sand in one of the leg sliders in Colorado Springs and I need to clean that out before summer 2011.

It is best set up with 2 people, but I can handle it myself, too. At the LaCrosse trip in Sept., it took me about 5 minutes more to do it myself. The key is to anchor one leg of the screenhouse down with a tent stake and then walk out on the diagonal. Coming down is a piece of cake when you're finished. We have a few bugs inside the roof, but nothing bad. By keep it up tight against the trailer on one side, we seem to discourage most bugs. A small fan also works to keep them away. We also spray with a light fogger when starting out the day in the morning and that seems to work for the day.

The FirstUp only seems to come in tan now and is available at most Walmarts.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #15

Registry
thanks for all of the help are the Paha Que hard to set up by yourself?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Yes, it is not impossible, but much easier with two and on a windy day, it is a must.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #17

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Canada (Ontario) 10’x10’ First-Up Gazebo with Screen Walls on sale at Walmart for $98. It replaces my First-Up Coleman that lasted 5 years and would last much longer if it wasn't abused on few "guys only" fishing trips. Yup, it stud up well to rain and wind but it whiskey did it in...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #18

Registry
We bought a 10' x 10' EZ Up from Cabalas on mother's day weekend, it was on sale for $80.
thanks for all of your input.