F 150 question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
F 150 question

The Chevy commercial where a group of guys are standing around and one pushes a tool box into the bed of an F150 got me wondering how those aluminum bodies are holding up. Are folks happy with the change? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
My new F-150 work truck is doing great. I sometimes use a magnetic strobe light. That was a challenge. It is hard to tell the difference otherwise. I read somewhere that Chevy is going to aluminum also. They are just playing catchup.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
There is absolutely nothing I don't like about my 2016 F 150. Not about to dump a ton of cement blocks from 10 feet or drop a tool box off the edge to see if it changes my mind. I'd like to see the Chevy guys try it to see if it changes theirs. Those are about the absolute stupidest ones I have ever seen.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #4

Connecticut
By the way it seems that the vast majority of new trucks I see have a bed liner of 1 type or another. Any of these would prevent the tool box thing and probably the cement block drop also. Again try it with your Chevy I'm not that curious. If you pay 30 grand and up on a vehicle seems like you might be a little more careful with it than what's portrayed on Chevy commercials.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have no experience with the F150 aluminum body. I did, however, see several videos debunking the Chevy commercial as "set-up". Apparently it took Multiple takes and attempts to get the tool box to fall just right to show the damage. Also, camera angles were changed during the multiple attempts to hide damage done to the Chevy bed.

Another point that negates the commercial, as presented: The vast majority of the damage done to both truck beds would be eliminated with a plastic bed liner, something that is generally included with every actual "work" truck.

Just pointing out that advertising tests are not really tests most of the time.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We replaced our 2011 Subaru Forester with an F-150 XLT almost a year ago. We are both retired now and down to one vehicle. The Subie did fine towing our 13' Scamp, but the truck is a better choice all-around for our needs. We opted for the 2.7L eco-boost engine with 4WD. We get between 18 and 21 mpg towing our Scamp, and it is capable of towing 7,600 lbs. Without the trailer, we get as many as 24 mpg. The Subaru averaged 16-19 mpg towing our Scamp.

The aluminum body reduces the total weight between 700-800 lbs., and because of that; increases the payload by the same amount. We've had zero issues with the aluminum body, the bed, or anything else for that matter. We love the truck for traveling. Part of the towing package included Back-up Assist. You don't have to touch the wheel to back up the trailer. There is a small knob on the dash that controls all the steering and counter-steering for backing up. The truck is very comfortable, and allows us to take more equipment along. We just ordered a new Scamp 16 Deluxe w/ side dinette, and didn't spend a second worrying about towing capacity. Couldn't be happier with our F-150!

There's a reason the F-150 has been the biggest selling truck in the US since '77 and the best selling vehicle period since '81. I don't want to start any arguments, but Chevy and I believe Ram are working behind the scenes to catch up.

TomK
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0902.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Chevy is going to look awful stupid down the road when they go to an aluminum body as well. It's the future, and the advantages, particularly in weight and corrosion, are obvious. Nobody in their right mind would drop a backhoe bucket full of cinder blocks into the bed of an unlined half ton truck from height. I just find these commercials stupid and insulting to intelligence.

But to answer the OPs other question, I absolutely LOVE this truck. And it tows my Escape 19 like a dream.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Connecticut
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
We replaced our 2011 Subaru Forester with an F-150 XLT almost a year ago. We are both retired now and down to one vehicle. The Subie did fine towing our 13' Scamp, but the truck is a better choice all-around for our needs. We opted for the 2.7L eco-boost engine with 4WD. We get between 18 and 21 mpg towing our Scamp, and it is capable of towing 7,600 lbs. Without the trailer, we get as many as 24 mpg. The Subaru averaged 16-19 mpg towing our Scamp.

The aluminum body reduces the total weight between 700-800 lbs., and because of that; increases the payload by the same amount. We've had zero issues with the aluminum body, the bed, or anything else for that matter. We love the truck for traveling. Part of the towing package included Back-up Assist. You don't have to touch the wheel to back up the trailer. There is a small knob on the dash that controls all the steering and counter-steering for backing up. The truck is very comfortable, and allows us to take more equipment along. We just ordered a new Scamp 16 Deluxe w/ side dinette, and didn't spend a second worrying about towing capacity. Couldn't be happier with our F-150!

There's a reason the F-150 has been the biggest selling truck in the US since '77 and the best selling vehicle period since '81. I don't want to start any arguments, but Chevy and I believe Ram are working behind the scenes to catch up.

TomK
Except for your fancy wheels that could be my truck. Towing my Escape 5.0 TA through the Vermont hills I averaged 14.5 -15.5. Had no trouble maintaining a steady 60 mph, up hill or down. The 2.7 has plenty of power, the ride is comfortable and it tows my 5.0 great. Going to hit the Pennsylvania hills soon which are more challenging. Think it'll do OK, we'll see.

Haven't dropped any bricks or tool boxes yet.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Except for your fancy wheels that could be my truck. Towing my Escape 5.0 TA through the Vermont hills I averaged 14.5 -15.5. Had no trouble maintaining a steady 60 mph, up hill or down. The 2.7 has plenty of power, the ride is comfortable and it tows my 5.0 great. Going to hit the Pennsylvania hills soon which are more challenging. Think it'll do OK, we'll see.

Hi: Cliff Hotchkiss... How about bringing your new rig over to the Niagara Wine Escape rally Sept 15-17th. I wouldn't mind a personal demonstration of that "Way back button". In my old age I have trouble remembering which right is right!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The Chevy commercial where a group of guys are standing around and one pushes a tool box into the bed of an F150 got me wondering how those aluminum bodies are holding up. Are folks happy with the change? Raz
Why would you need to carry a tool box around in a Ford?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #11

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Cliff Hotchkiss... How about bringing your new rig over to the Niagara Wine Escape rally Sept 15-17th. I wouldn't mind a personal demonstration of that "Way back button". In my old age I have trouble remembering which right is right!!!
Hi Alf
We may do the wine thing, even though I couldn't tell.a good wine from a Dr Pepper. What's the cut off date for signing on?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:

Let me know how u do MPG in the rockies.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Hi Alf
We may do the wine thing, even though I couldn't tell.a good wine from a Dr Pepper. What's the cut off date for signing on?
Hi: Cliff Hotchkiss... No real cut off date. It's more about what services you want. The fewest avail. sites are sewer/electric/water. Last year we had 47 attendees.
As far as wine goes... I'm with you, but there's lots to do at Niagara Falls!!! http://www.tourismniagara.com Riverside Park Campground and Motel Niagara Falls Ontario Canada
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:

TomK
Hi: TomK... Scamps are welcome at Niagara Wine Escape!!! Come on over to the Falls Sept 15-17th. and relax some... we'd love to see ya there.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I have no experience with the F150 aluminum body. I did, however, see several videos debunking the Chevy commercial as "set-up". Apparently it took Multiple takes and attempts to get the tool box to fall just right to show the damage. Also, camera angles were changed during the multiple attempts to hide damage done to the Chevy bed.

Another point that negates the commercial, as presented: The vast majority of the damage done to both truck beds would be eliminated with a plastic bed liner, something that is generally included with every actual "work" truck.

Just pointing out that advertising tests are not really tests most of the time.
Hi: LyleB... We'd love to see you at 2017 Niagara Wine Escape Sept 15-17th. Come on over.
Attached Thumbnails
all lit up.jpg   great park.jpg  

Niagara on the Lake.jpg   P1020214.jpg  

Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Alaska
I drive a 2008 Silverado, my wife a 2017 F150.... I really like my truck, but hers is better in almost every way.
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too am very happy with my aluminum body F150. I use it for work too, and have loaded all sorts of heavy stuff from stones to gravel in it, with no adverse effects.

Not sure what it is about the Chevy ads these days, but they really seem to be poorly done, kinda like they are grasping at straws. What would you choose to cut a plank, a handsaw or a circular saw? If a circ saw, then you need to buy a Chev.

Don't get me wrong, Chevy has made some good trucks over time, just not keen on their recent ads.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #18

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: LyleB... We'd love to see you at 2017 Niagara Wine Escape Sept 15-17th. Come on over.
Alf,

I had planned to be at both Algonac and your rally this year, but life has gotten in the way. As it turns out, I will be in California, backpacking the John Muir Trail again this year. This was a last-minute change from an original plan to hike it in 2018. As it is, I will not be flying home until Sept. 20th.

Hopefully, next year I will make it to both of the rallys. Will you be in Sebring again this year? If so, I'll see you then. Have a great time.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Hi Alf, unfortunately Joanne and I will be trailer-less this summer. I know I promised you we were going to attend your rally at Scamp Camp Sebring; but we ordered a new Scamp 16 and will not pick it up until October 4th. We won't be able to attend Algonac either, where we first met you. We live 17 miles from there, so we'll probably stop by and see everyone. Next year for sure! I have to get busy and put an ad together this week to sell our awesome Scamp 13.

BTW; we got an "Enhanced" MI driver's license, so we can pop across the border without a passport. I was told by the DMV that 8 states now offer them. All are supposed to. Once we get our new trailer; we can tow it with our beautiful aluminum bodied F-150 all over Ontario and beyond.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Hi Alf, unfortunately Joanne and I will be trailer-less this summer. I know I promised you we were going to attend your rally at Scamp Camp Sebring; but we ordered a new Scamp 16 and will not pick it up until October 4th. We won't be able to attend Algonac either, where we first met you. We live 17 miles from there, so we'll probably stop by and see everyone. Next year for sure! I have to get busy and put an ad together this week to sell our awesome Scamp 13.

BTW; we got an "Enhanced" MI driver's license, so we can pop across the border without a passport. I was told by the DMV that 8 states now offer them. All are supposed to. Once we get our new trailer; we can tow it with our beautiful aluminum bodied F-150 all over Ontario and beyond.

TomK
Hi: TomK... This doesn't seem to have been planned with "Military precision"!!! Funny how a bigger tug leads to a bigger trailer. Oh well you gotta start somewhere. Enjoy Eh?
That "Enhanced license" might be handy if you don't get trumped in the mean time!!! LoL