Fair Price - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
If your fridge is working go with that. Paint may be exactly the wrong color for a prospective buyer. As others have said, just clean it up and advertise it. I would assume that unless it is in terrible shape, a good asking price would be in the $5000 area. Then be prepared to haggle.

I went looking for pictures of your trailer. I didn't find any. I would be able to give you a more precise estimate of it's value if I could see pictures. Is the interior fibreglass, or wood?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Advice I always offer to:

Buyers; Buy now, before prices go up in the next 3 months, will stay high
through August, and as the supply goes down, prices will go up further.

Sellers; Don't sell now, prices will go up in the next 3 months, stay high through August, and as the supply goes down, prices will go up further.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It would be nice to know which side to raise. Any chance you can ask the old time RV mechanic again?

Unfortunatly he passed on a while back. I'll have to check mine next time out to see. When camping in the desert at 100* one time I did tilt the RV a bit and the temp dropped about 5*. Just don't remember which way I went with it.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
When I sold a Boler that was having some fridge 'issues' I was just upfront about it, put it in the ad and stated i was taking $500 off the price due to this.
I guess the big question is what the 'issues" are as to whether or not its a problem worth discounting the trailer for. One only has to read this forum and do a google on the topic of fridges not working all that well in hot temps to know its pretty well wide spread issue with the types of fridges found in many of our small trailers. Many threads on the topic of how to improve that problem... some work some don't and a combo of things may work for some. Cleaning out the burner & stack, adding a fan inside and at the rear, more insulation around the fridge, sealing off the fridge etc have resulted in giving the biggest bang for the buck for many including myself, but often it does not totally solve the issue just improves it somewhat. But putting in a whole new fridge of the same type as many have found out doesnt always fix the problem either.

Now if a fridge was having issues such it can't keep a safe temp even when its only 75 degrees outside, or it doesnt work at all on electrical but works on propane only or the other way around or sometimes it doesnt work at all & sometimes it doesn't then those IMO are real "issue" and something I would for sure discount the trailer price for. If its just the standard the fridge works but struggles in hot weather I would disclose that but also mention its common to the type of fridge in my trailer and warn them that spending money on replacing it with the same type of fridge may not fix the problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Advice I always offer to:

Buyers; Buy now, before prices go up in the next 3 months, will stay high
through August, and as the supply goes down, prices will go up further.

Sellers; Don't sell now, prices will go up in the next 3 months, stay high through August, and as the supply goes down, prices will go up further.
For a little perspective on supply and demand for fg trailers if you look on kijjii Ontario under trilliums for sale you will see 1 for sale and 8 ads for trillium wanted
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM   #20

California
A Word about Gas/Electric Refrigerators when buying.

If a refrigerator work well on gas or electric, and gets real cold, then it is repairable.
If a refrigerator stays lit on gas or the boiler feels hot on electric, and doesn't get cold, it's toast.

Early Dometics (square boiler cover) are very sensitive to being operated off level and the result is less cooling capacity every time it was operated that way. There is no known repair for this other than replacing the entire cooling circuit. Once they don't cool well it never gets better. You can try fans and other ideas, but the basic damage is done. And tipping and/or inverting only works on the third full moon of any given month, it's more of a very temporary fix (sometimes) that some sellers might trick you with.

The 40+ y.o. Dometic in my Hunter still freezes food, when it's 90 degrees out, just as quickly as the 8 y.o. Dometic "Spare" sitting in my garage that I pulled out of a wrecked camper a couple of years back.

In buying a used RV I see the refrigerator as a Black or White situation, Not even 50 Shades of Gray, it works right or it doesn't work and I pay accordingly.

Remember, a 2 or 3 way refrigerator is the single most expensive item in an FGRV.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #21

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
For a little perspective on supply and demand for fg trailers if you look on kijjii Ontario under trilliums for sale you will see 1 for sale and 8 ads for trillium wanted
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, and loot at the upswing right here with new members posting WTB ads and asking questions. It's the season of buyers wanting to buy for the summer and it will continue for the next 6 months when the bubble will burst.... and we start over again.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #22

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
thanks all

Dave it has fiberglass cupboards with oak doors ( painted blue now with some nice new handles) front kitchen and one bed that can be set up for king or queen

i know i have some pictures somewhere but i cannot find them

Well i guess i will have to think a little about price but we were treated really fairly with the new to us escape so i would like do that as well

i am a full disclosure seller though i will tell the potential buyers everything i know about the trailer

We have done quite a bit of work like new propane lines, Foam and covers, bumper, a new axle etc etc

Really i guess i need someone to care about her after all this work i have grown attached. Supposed to get to the freezing mark this weekend so the big melt is here
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Cutting to the chase:

The "Vintage Trailer market" is hot as a pistol right now; and thanks at least in part to this site, molded fiberglass is a headliner.

Unless you're desperate for the money:
Wash it, get anything that looks "new" out of it, and advertise it as a "Rare Collector's Trailer". No more being made etc. etc. etc. Ask for at least $5,000.00 because, let's face it, this is a Rare Bird.

Don't act too eager...let folks think they're getting Something Special and wait for the person to come along that's ready to believe it.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Something as simple as door seals can make a big difference in temperatures in a smaller fridge.

Since fridge works on the basis of heat exchange and typically only has a single exchange unit inside the circulation of air inside will make it more effective. As will better air flow / draw behind the fridge. If it can make or maintain ice cubes in the freezer on a 75 - 80 degree day it works. But I bet it won't make them fast.

I would say worth putting one of those little battery powered fridge fans in, and a fridge/freezer thermometer. Let buyer see what is and point out there are limits to how much it can cool on a really hot day. (stay out of it and it will stay cooler from the night before)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Alan, A fibreglass front kitchen TM-14 is a valuable trailer. The right buyer would be very happy to find it. Wait till summer. Price it in the $5000 to $6000 area and get some good pictures.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post

Really i guess i need someone to care about her after all this work i have grown attached.
I know the feeling. Had someone make a very attractive offer to purchase mine last summer but I have seen the state of their current trailer..... would kill me to see mine in the same state. We do get a just a little attached to them even if we know they are not our forever trailer!

Re the fridge and its a ability to freeze. One thing I have discovered the hard way was that when in hot weather turning the fridges temp controller down too low can result in way to much ice build up in the freezer compartment area. When that happens the fridge will struggle even more in hot weather. The less ice build up in the freezer compartment area the better performance from the fridge. There is actually something in the owners manual on that topic. Have also found that if I stuff the freezer compartment to full it does tend to develop to much ice build up around the outside of the compartment area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have a new Escape 5.0 TA on order. I want to be a hoarder I'm not sure I can sell in my current Scamp. I don't care if it's consider vintage (I AM), or a classic or what....

WHY, oh WHY do we get so attached to these things?????

Best of luck in your decision...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #28

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
It has to go to make room for the Escape

With the Surfside, the vw van, my sons boler and the utilty trailer i am out of room... unless i rent a storage spot

Donna i have only been in the escape a few times because it has been so cold here but it is great.

Without the new one i would not be able to part with the Surfside. I guess i can always work on the Boler ...... it needs lots of work