Family - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Okay, so most of you know I have been "off the grid" for a few months. This topic seems kinda out of the ordinary, BUT! What if....you meet up with long lost family members and they are (to term it lightly) a nut case? I am personally speaking of my sister who is ten years older than me. When I first saw her again after at least ten years all was okay, but then all of a sudden she was a wacko....!

Um, I think I backed away gracefully, but, has anyone else ever been in this situation on their travels?

I am now with my other sister who is mostly sane and she says we should just feel sorry for the other sister, but she's not sure why. I am trying to get past the past few months with "the insane one", but any advice might help....ANYONE?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Nice to have you back Monica!
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

There is always Dr Murray Banks:

Good luck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
WE get to choose our friends....but not our family....so....
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
There are some things you can't change!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Cheer up, maybe by another 10 years she'll have shaped up
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
WE get to choose our friends....but not our family....so....
VERY well said John!

You only have one Wack-a-Doo in your family? Geezzzzzzzzzz, you wouldn't want to attend one of my family gatherings.... Monica, I learned a long time ago, blow them off! Live your life and don't let them make you crazy along with them. Dh's family has more than it's fair share as well. When I was younger, I thought most people were sane, as I have gotten older well hmmmmmmmm,,,,, I have changed my opinion of the world around me with all the crazy people. Hang in there! Glad to see you back with us "sane" people....... LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
[b]This topic seems kinda out of the ordinary,

I am trying to get past the past few months...
This topic is a bit out of our jurisdiction, as it were...

As a Moderator, I feel a need to point out our limited scope... BUT

As a member of the "Family of Fiberglass Trailerites" with a similar sibling, (a brother, in my case) I understand your search. I too, sometimes feel more comfortable here in our virtual environment than with some of my flesh-and-blood relationships.

I think your answer can only be found within you. While many of us here might wish to help, I propose that Private conversations might be more appropriate in this circumstance.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Well done, mon ami!

Quote:

As a Moderator, I feel a need to point out our limited scope... BUT

As a member of the "Family of Fiberglass Trailerites" with a similar sibling, (a brother, in my case) I understand your search. I too, sometimes feel more comfortable here in our virtual environment than with some of my flesh-and-blood relationships.

I think your answer can only be found within you. While many of us here might wish to help, I propose that Private conversations might be more appropriate in this circumstance.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Monica I have followed your post from before you bought your egg, through the purchase and beyond and have enjoyed them very much. And have watched you grow from a "newbie" to and "old hand". Could this be a matter of perspective? As we speak perhaps said sister is conversing with friends, coworkers, family etc. and discussing her "WHACKO" sister who left a perfectly good job (maybe only in her viewpoint) and is now traveling the USA in a smallish fiberglass trailer with her dog !!! I suspect many in the non-traveling community suspect that we fiberglass rvers are a few french frys short of a happy meal. Keep on trucking. Lee
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
Quote:
I suspect many in the non-traveling community suspect that we fiberglass rvers are a few french frys short of a happy meal.
HAA!! I haven't heard the happy meal comparison before! But I think Lee has a good point. I once asked my son if he regretted growing up as an only child. He said that when he was a kid he was glad since he didn't have to share, but sometimes now when he listens to me talk to my sister on the phone he wishes he had a sibling that he could share with in the same way. I thought that was kinda sad until I realized that mostly my sister and I talk about our frustrations with our parents brand of insanity. Does he long for someone to discuss MY insanity with?!!

You are taking a road that many people today secretly long for (take this job and...well you know the rest) but can't bring themselves to do for fear of the risks they think they see. I am resigning from my corporate job at the end of this month, so I have been following your adventures (however, I am heading BACK to California!). Many people I work with say they envy me. But to many people (especially my family) I am throwing away a lucrative job just to be able to pursue my personal interests, and that is CRAZY! Is it really crazy to trade money and stress for happiness and simplicity ? What can you say to that kind of thinking?

I hope talking it out with your sister brings you some comfort from the experience with your other sister! In the meantime, you GO girl!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I'm confused Could someone please tell me what NORMAL is???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #13

Well, it is at least good to see that I am not the only one. I figured that maybe, since we on here are travelers, that the experience of seeing family after a long time might be more common among us. The more time that passes the better I am dealing with it. At least I had my little egg to retreat to when things got violent in my sister's house, I love my egg! Seems like nobody will encroach on my little space once I am in my egg, so that is good. Nobody ever has knocked on my door, so it is my little safe haven, HAH! Thanks for the advice and the good news is that with this lifestyle, when things get crazy, I can pack up and go! Nice to know...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Hi: All... I'm confused Could someone please tell me what NORMAL is???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
"NORMAL" is a 32 foot Toy-Hauler with two ATV's, one Dirt Bike, and 2.1 Children.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
"NORMAL" is a 32 foot Toy-Hauler with two ATV's, one Dirt Bike, and 2.1 Children.
LOL, Not everybody knows what a "toy hauler" is Greg...but I do, lots of fun times in the dunes on my ATV!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:

As a Moderator, I feel a need to point out our limited scope...