Family camping in fiberglass campers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
My husband and I have a 16ft U-Haul, no potty but a changing room with a port-a-pot (original). My best friend and I are planning a camping trip or two this summer with her 2 kids without husbands (no one watch us set up please!!). They'll be 4 of us all total, 2 old ladies, 1 12 year old and 1 6 year old. Our sleeping plan is I'll sleep on the bottom bunk, her son on the top bunk (holds 150lbs), daughter in the back bed with mom.

Sure we'll be snug as bugs in a rug, but it's only while we sleep, right? Remainder of the time we'll be out on the picnic table, under the awning, sitting around the fire, hiking, swimming, etc. After a full day and all that fresh air, going to sleep in the trailer won't take any time at all!!

Sure, when the kids are 15ish they won't fit, but by that time they'll want their own tents to put near my trailer while they're out there with their friends. They'll sleep til noon, crawl out and wonder what's for breakfast....

Just my thought on the matter..

Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
There was a time when people slept on the ground with no shelter or just a tarp. Then along came the tent. In my youth the adults slept in the tent, the kids slept outside on the ground under the stars. Pup tents became cheap enough that it didn't break the budget the purchase a pup tent, the kids then got to actually sleep inside a tent. Along comes the trailer. Now the adults can sleep inside a trailer and the kids can sleep outside in a tent. (maybe even the one the adults used to sleep in). In this day and age when you can't get along with AC, Microwave, shower, etc. in your trailer, and the kids have to have television, computer games, etc. the art and fun of "sleeping out" appears to be gone.

That isn't exactly true. My grandkids still sleep in tents as do their parents.

My point is, maybe all the children don't have to sleep inside the trailer.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tent camping was my norm before we got a trailer. Whether in Cub or Boy scouts with my son, out on a camping trip or trek, or off to a days-long airshow, I or we stayed in a tent.

Lynne got tired of camping in a tent. Not only do rocks seem to somehow migrate from elsewhere to somewhere under her back during the night, she dislikes getting up in the cold when nature calls because the combination of chill and migrating rocks make it very difficult to get back to sleep.

My original thought when we went looking for a trailer was a kind of hard-sided tent-on-wheels, but what we wound up getting has become something more akin to a Bonsai-tree version of a hotel room that goes where we do. (Within limits.)

Doesn't matter. Lynne and I have been out on more "camping" expeditions in the first six months we owned the trailer than we had in the last several years, but I still have a tent. It goes places my trailer can't.

My son never had troubles sleeping in a tent. My daughters, now in their 20s, sleep in tents when they go off to "SCA" events. For them the trailer can be a nice warm and dry place to gather on a rainy day, use a dependably clean and more private toilet, and have a nice collection of camping gear stowed and ready to go on short notice without having to pack the car.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Try this for size. Two adults and four kids in a 13 ft Boler

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolerama_2006__87_2_4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	13398

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote