Family of four - good trailer size options? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
But even large stickies usually sleep four as a max.

Possibly true, but another reason for the apparent preference for large stickies is the number of toys young families seem to want to bring, many of them motorized. During family camping season (as opposed to snowbird season) toy haulers predominate in local campgrounds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We camp with a family of 4 in a Scamp 13'. We all range 5'8" - 6'2". You can make it work and we like it. Other requirements will likely dictate your choice (how much space you want, tow limits on your vehicle, etc....).

Enjoy!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We THREE (Dad, 11 yr old daughter, 50 lb Aussie) are very comfortable in our Scamp 16. We could easily add another human to our camping bunch but they would have to sleep on the lower front bunk. The upper front is my daughter’s, the rear dinette permanently set up as a bed is mine, and the floor belongs to the dog. We leave the lower front cushions at home and use the lower bunk area as storage. If we need a table or tables inside we use light TV trays. I missed out on a 13’ U-Haul years ago at a fantastic price but am MUCH happier with the 16’ Scamp. It still tows very easily behind my old F-150 and is small but comfortable on rainy days. I even envision some long-term solo (well duo, me and the dog) when my daughter no longer wants to hang with Dad and go camping. I feel that the Scamp 16 will be ideal for that once I do the front dinette mod.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One man's "cozy" is another man's "crowded . My wife ,I and our dog find our 17 ft Casita crowded at times , That's when I get banished to the great outdoors.
The 21 ft Escape is looking more inviting after every camping trip.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
One man's "cozy" is another man's "crowded . My wife ,I and our dog find our 17 ft Casita crowded at times , That's when I get banished to the great outdoors.
The 21 ft Escape is looking more inviting after every camping trip.
That 4 foot-itis. Best look at the 5.0 as well Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #26

NW Wisconsin
Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
That 4 foot-itis. Best look at the 5.0 as well Raz
We are planning a trip to the West Coast in September to view Donna's new Escape 5.0 TA "Ten Forward" . After my wife views Donna' s trailer, I already know what the next step will be. I am starting to save my pennies.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are planning a trip to the West Coast in September to view Donna's
new Escape 5.0 TA "Ten Forward" . After my wife views Donna' s trailer,
I already know what the next step will be. I am already saving my pennies.
You may as well drive through Chilliwack on your way home. Best to place your order in person.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #28

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
You may as well drive through Chilliwack on your way home. Best to place your order in person.
That sounds like a good idea . I will need to get a passport for my wife and our dog over the Summer but it may simplify the whole process.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #29

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We sleep 4 in an Escape 19; two adults and two teens (both boys) who are both taller than me. They share the dinette (head to foot in sleeping bags). It isn't ideal and the best option is for them to be in a tent, but that doesn't work in all situations. Squished together as they may be, they prefer it to being in a tent if it is cold, wet, or windy out, or in one night situations where setting up and breaking down the tent and cots doesn't seem worth it.

The harder thing is what to do when it is windy or cold or raining and we aren't asleep. The dinette is crowded with four of us and not the best place to sit for hours and hours, plus the up down gets annoying as we need to slide the dinette table to get out of one side of the dinette. I don't mind hanging out in the permanent bed as a "lounge", but DH doesn't love it.

Our reality is that we chose the trailer we thought would be best for the two of us once our teens are on their own, and decided that a permanent bed would be the most comfortable option. It is comfortable, no doubt about that. But overall, I think the trailer is best for two people unless the weather is ideal or you can use a tent as a second bedroom.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamily View Post
Our reality is that we chose the trailer we thought would be best for the two of us once our teens are on their own,
That sounds like a wise approach. I know a lot of us, myself included, tend to think only about today's needs or at least place a lot higher importance on today's needs than those of tomorrow. Kids grow, and may or may not be in the picture going forward. My daughter has at least for now called "dibs" on the Scamp when she grows up. That is fine by me, the Scamp will make a fine graduation present for her, and then I can reward Dad (myself) with a new Escape 19!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote