Family of four - good trailer size options? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #29
Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
We sleep 4 in an Escape 19; two adults and two teens (both boys) who are both taller than me. They share the dinette (head to foot in sleeping bags). It isn't ideal and the best option is for them to be in a tent, but that doesn't work in all situations. Squished together as they may be, they prefer it to being in a tent if it is cold, wet, or windy out, or in one night situations where setting up and breaking down the tent and cots doesn't seem worth it.

The harder thing is what to do when it is windy or cold or raining and we aren't asleep. The dinette is crowded with four of us and not the best place to sit for hours and hours, plus the up down gets annoying as we need to slide the dinette table to get out of one side of the dinette. I don't mind hanging out in the permanent bed as a "lounge", but DH doesn't love it.

Our reality is that we chose the trailer we thought would be best for the two of us once our teens are on their own, and decided that a permanent bed would be the most comfortable option. It is comfortable, no doubt about that. But overall, I think the trailer is best for two people unless the weather is ideal or you can use a tent as a second bedroom.

Mike and Kimberly
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #30
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Originally Posted by HappyFamily View Post
Our reality is that we chose the trailer we thought would be best for the two of us once our teens are on their own,
That sounds like a wise approach. I know a lot of us, myself included, tend to think only about today's needs or at least place a lot higher importance on today's needs than those of tomorrow. Kids grow, and may or may not be in the picture going forward. My daughter has at least for now called "dibs" on the Scamp when she grows up. That is fine by me, the Scamp will make a fine graduation present for her, and then I can reward Dad (myself) with a new Escape 19!

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote