Fantastic Fan and Battery Drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Fantastic Fan and Battery Drain

I was just thinking about overnighting while traveling from FL to WY over the summer. I know we cant run the A/C off battery but can the fantastic fan run all night without draining the battery to the point of damaging it? I know furnaces run all night but their fan kicks on and off. A fantastic fan would run non-stop. I'm thinking it will be quite warm in the Southern States the first night or two till we get farther North and West so trying to figure out the best way to move air while sleeping. Any suggestions or should we just plan on hookups til we get to higher elevations?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I don't have one yet but I understand that they draw very little power, also I believe some have a thermostat that can turn it on and off during it's use.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
What model do you have?
This Model 4000R
FanTastic Vent - Products
Performance:
AMPS

High 3.00

Medium 2.29

Low 1.86
Also depends on what amp battery you have. And how long it will last.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a fantastic fan with 3 speeds. I've run it all night on the lowest speed without any problem.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check this site for the Fantastic Fan. It appears that they are less expensive than joining the camping club price.
fantastic fan
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
They're all over E bay.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

We dont have one yet, just researching to know which one to get and how long it can run off battery. So are those numbers how many AMPS per hour is uses? In 8 hrs it would use 24 AMPS on High? Am I understanding this correctly? And how many amps can you drain a battery down to, 50% or something like that?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
What model do you have?
This Model 4000R
FanTastic Vent - Products
Performance:
AMPS

High 3.00

Medium 2.29

Low 1.86
Also depends on what amp battery you have. And how long it will last.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Battery condition and capacity will affect the answer you seek. Some are more able to endure what your planning to do and some wont.
you'll need a battery of big enough capacity and in good condition to put up with that nightly. recharged daily.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
FantasticFan Amp Draw

Hi Mellissa,

I tested my Fantastic fan 5000 RBT before installation
and it only drew about 0.4A on low once it got up to operating speed.
Think it is just like yours with the addition of a thermostat.

0.4A x 10 hours overnight is only 4AH and easily supplied by most
onboard batteries.

Bon Voyage, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great input. Batteries is something I know nothing about as we've always camped with hookups. I plan on researching threads here to learn about batteries, amp hours, draw etc.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
That will keep you busy for awhile. LOL

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Thanks for all the great input. Batteries is something I know nothing about as we've always camped with hookups. I plan on researching threads here to learn about batteries, amp hours, draw etc.

Thanks!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I had one with a thermostat knob in my last trailer. I believe the switch can even be added to existing fans without one. The switch works very well and it is easy to turn the knob till the fan just comes on. Then when things cool off it will turn itself off till the trailer warms up again. That will save some of the battery while you sleep. I ran mine all night several times with the one battery trailer and still had plenty of power the next morning.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a constant breeze fan, close to the same thing. I haven't checked the power consumption, but I can tell you I've run it a couple nights lately without worry about battery drain. It wasn't a problem.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
To put it in perspective, the fan on high drawing 3 amps would be like having 2 lights on, most of the 12 volt bulbs inside a trailer would be 1-2 amps each.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I believe it's fairly likely that a battery in decent shape could run such a fan on low for about three nights without doing any harm. If I'm figuring correctly, with a typical small battery rated at about 85 or 90 amp-hours, three nights of just the fan should take the battery charge down about halfway.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My Fantastic fan on "Low" draws just under 1 amp so if i ran it for 3 nights at 8 hours each night that would be a total of 24 amps.....use the thermostat on it and you can drop that figure even lower. I really like that fan as it moves a lot of air and is very quiet.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
When you charge your battery out on the road/campsites... do you use a regular AC battery type charger? Do you need to unhook everything from the battery while charging? Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
. . . can the fantastic fan run all night without draining the battery to the point of damaging it? . . . trying to figure out the best way to move air while sleeping. Any suggestions or should we just plan on hookups til we get to higher elevations?
The first summer with my trailer, I ran a test of my solar panel / fantastic fan setup. I unplugged the trailer from shore power, enabled the 100W panel, and turned the fantastic fan on low with the thermostat set cool enough to ensure it'd be running 24/7. (My batteries have 110 Amp Hours of energy storage capacity combined.)

The test continued day and night for 30 days. After a month, the batteries were working just fine. That was 3 summers ago and I still have the same batteries which are doing great. I don't imagine you'll be harming your battery using it for the fan on low at night and allowing it to recharge from you vehicle's alternator as you head to your next destination.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have been running my Endless Breeze fan (A portable version of the Fantastic fan made by the same company) all day long for over a month now. It often runs for a couple hours in the evening when I get home as well.

I am using a 100w solar set up and a group 29 battery (120aH). I have no want for battery power for lights or water pump etc each day.

Keep in mind, I am stationary and have no other way I charge my battery.

I could use a charger when I run my generator, but I just don't need to. You should be fine with an average charging system.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery