fantastic or non fantastic? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Soooooo this soon to be warm weather has me thinking I want a fan. I found a parted out rv with a vent fan (non fantastic brand)...the question is......Is a non fantastic fan less fantastic or is the brand fantastic fan so fantastic its worth the $189? Any thoughts to this?
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Fantastic is certainly fantastic. Fine products and unsurpassed customer service. That said, I went for a MaxxFan because (at least at that time) it was the only one allowing for keeping it open while it rains, a VERY important feature for keeping away condensation, etc. Of course, here in Portland we don't have much of a problem with rain, but i can see it being a consideration in Seattle.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Soooooo this soon to be warm weather has me thinking I want a fan. I found a parted out rv with a vent fan (non fantastic brand)...the question is......Is a non fantastic fan less fantastic or is the brand fantastic fan so fantastic its worth the $189? Any thoughts to this?
I am a little confused. Are you saying that you could pick up a working used fan for free? And you could install it yourself? Go for it. If it breaks down, you could always get a new fan.

But if you are thinking of purchasing this fan and/or paying someone to install it ....

Everyone I know really loves their Fantastic Fans. The RV repair place I use told me that Fantastic has a great product and unsurpassed customer relations.

I was thinking about going MAX all the way. But there is a $200 difference in price. I just like the product/cover combo better.

My 2 cents: if you are considering anything else but Fantastic or Max Fans, you are probably on the wrong path.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I purchased and installed the bottom line cheapest Fantastic fan which I purchased off of E-bay. I got it for $130 and it does about what the other FFs do. Pump air out of the egg.

I could have gotten the one with the reverse switch, but I can't see how I would ever need reverse. If so, I can install a switch for that quite easily.

Sometimes simpler is better.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Reverse is actually more efficient for cooling. Leave a window opposite the fan open a bit, set fan to exhaust and you get a "Fantastic" cooling effect without thinking you are in a wind tunnel.

I have also use the intake setting frequently. In humid conditions, this is actually better. You feel the wind effect this way tho.

In earlier days, I had an endless breeze Fantastic fan. I plan to get one for the MH as well. For reverse, use the high tech method of turning it around :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've been pondering this as well, so I will share some of my thoughts:

1) If you are always going to have electrical hookups available, then it sounds like a great fan.

2) On the other hand, if you are running under your own power generation, then....

a) The fantastic vent's fan draws much more amperage than some DC fans.

b ) And if you are not using any fan (say, power shortage), then the fan blades of the Fantastic vent will impede airflow.

I have seen an installation wherein someone installed a regular vent, and then made a couple of small aluminum "tracks" into which he could slide a small DC "muffin" fan. Advantages: Low power draw when in use, and no airflow impedance when not in use (move it aside).

I have thought of mounting a small Hella Jet fan in a place where I could swivel it over the opening and/or aim it at something and/or move it out of the way entirely.

You do get great "sucking" flow when the fan is closely mounted to the opening, which the Fantastic is. It's like Gina mentioned: The fan tightly in one opening, sucking out, and then another (not all) window open slightly. Creates an amazing cooling breeze.

Raya

PS: Adding power draw info. (argh, so much for my chart formatting)

Fantastic Vent:

High = 3 amps
Medium = 2.29 amps
Low = 1.86 amps

Hella Turbo fan

High = .54 amps
Low = .29 amps

Unfortunately I cannot find detailed CFM info on the Hella to compare the air flow. Nonetheless, I can say that I used the Turbo fans for years in the tropics and they do keep you cool (however I had a few fans, and, for example, one aimed on/near me while sleeping). The Jet fan runs at the "Low" speed only, while the Turbo has two speeds. I like it because it folds out of the way nicer. I only very rarely used the high speed on the Turbo fans.

However, while the Hella fan may move less air, you can run it a looooooooong time at .29 amp, so if you are supplying your own power this may mean the difference between fan and no fan.

There are other similar fans made by Caframo and etc.

I have not decided which way to go yet.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I found a parted out rv with a vent fan (non fantastic brand)...the question is......
Is a non fantastic fan less fantastic or is the brand fantastic fan so fantastic its worth the $189?
Is your non-fantastic fan like this Ventline Powered Roof Vent? This is a common non-fantastic fan.
  • Itty-Bitty little fan, in one corner of the vent
  • On-Off switch (Downdraft only)
  • Vent Lid open-close Crank

For comparison, here is a link to a relatively basic Fantastic Fan.
  • LARGE FAN covers entire vent area
  • Downdraft-Off-Exhaust Switch (Reversible!)
  • Low-Medium-High Speed Switch
  • Fuse
  • Vent Lid open-close Crank

I find that the larger fan moves a lot more air. I also find that for me, exhausting air is more effective than blowing it downward. YMMV
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My 2001 Scamp came from the factory with a Ventline fan, 2 speed, reversible and a thermostat.
The crank handle broke and was non-repairable so I took the opportunity to put in a Fantastic Fan.

The Ventline fan was fine but I didn't like the thermostat. Something to do with the inside/outside ambient temperature where the thermostat wouldn't let me run fan when I wanted to. My Fantastic Fan does not have a thermostat so I can turn the fan on at my demand.

The FF is quieter, has more blades. has 3 speeds and is also reversible.

The fan blades, of either brand, don't block much air coming in as someone stated. I hardly ever have had either one opened to it's max. Maybe on a real calm calm day where there isn't any air flow anyway.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

Hi Joy,

I'm the one who mentioned the fan blades blocking airflow. However, I was not meaning that the Fantastic Vent's blades were specifically different than others. What I meant was that if one is not using the fan function (say you are not hooked up to shorepower or are conserving amp hours) then the blades block some airflow as compared to a "plain" vent with no fan blades in it.

It's for that reason that I am considering a "plain" vent with a fan I can put in place or take away, as needed.

Of course if one has no power restrictions, the FV looks great. And even if one does have to "ration," one might still choose the FV. I was just explaining my thoughts.

Anyway, I might not have explained myself very well - didn't mean to imply the FV's blades would block any breeze when in use with the fan on; nor that the FV's blades would be different from other brands. Only that if using the vent "non powered" then any static fan blades, of any brand, would block breeze as compared to not having them there at all.

Raya

PS: On a semi-related note: It's amazing the difference in airflow between different screen types. From "hardware cloth" to regular screen-door type screening to noseeum netting there is a huge difference (I used to have the statistics to hand). In the tropics we just groaned if we had to put up the noseeum netting (instead of regular screening) due to the breeze blockage.

PPS: Here are the photos I saved of a vent wherein the owner made a little slide in mount for a 12 volt "muffin" fan. This gives a few options:

1) No fan in place at all for maximum breeze when not using power

2) Reduced amp usage with fan in place. Also 12 volts vs. 110.

3) Can reverse fan.

4) Can be retrofitted to existing vent.

Of course I didn't save any photos with the fan not in place (as I was wanting to save how it was done), but basically just picture it with no fan there and only the two aluminum cross bars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	skylight_fan_1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	27271

Name:	skylight_fan_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	27272
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Our Scamp came with a 3-speed, reversible Fantastic Fan which I retrofit to add a fourth, slow and very quiet speed that draws 0.65 Amps. I like it and I like the extra slow speed I added. If I were in the market, I'd hunt for a used one, though.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #11

Ooh, I'd like to hear about that - .65 amps is more in line with what I'm used to.

Raya
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Ooh, I'd like to hear about that - .65 amps is more in line with what I'm used to.
It's an easy to do mod that costs about five bucks. I added a push button switch that routes the power coming out of the 3-speed selector switch either around or through a 10 Ohm, 10-Watt resistor on its way to the fan. I'll post more later, but here's a circuit diagram and picture of the wiring.

Name:	4thFanSpeed_6_Flow.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	27281

Name:   4thFanSpeedSwitch.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  8.8 KB

The resistor is the boxy white thing that's pop-riveted to the fan housing where Fantastic Fan has some notches that divert airflow over the resistors (the coils of wire) for the original speed selector switch. I put my resistor in the same airflow because it gets quite warm, and also needs airflow to keep it cool.

The red and blue arrows show the two electrical pathways, red for the original 3 Fantastic Fan speeds, blue for the electric pathway when the ultra-slow speed button is pressed.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Brandy, my thoughts are:

Our rig has two fans...one generic in the shower that is one speed and it pulls air out, the other is a 3 speed bi directional Fantastic Fan in the rear bedroom. Hands down the Fantastic Fan is quieter, moves more air (either way) and variable speed is very useful. I would certainly go for a variable speed 2 way fan (of any brand that provides low noise) knowing what I know now and if I were starting from scratch.

Put me down as a fan of the 2way variable speed fan. Just don't get blown away by high prices and keep circulating through retail outlets at your own speed. If you need to vent, this is the place!

-------

FWIW - condensation can be very easily cured by leaving a vent and/or a window open just a smidgen in cool weather. Frankly its good practice anytime whether you are heating your rig or not.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Being able to leave the MaxxFan open, in the rain, without a separate rain hood was the deciding factor in both buying one to install on our former Boler and also in buying an Escape 5.0.!!! I just cleaned the screen of ours and couldn't get over the amount of fluff stuck to it. We use it all the time...the A/C hardly ever!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
MaxxFan_Finished.jpg   MaxxFan_open.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For me personally a FF or Maxx Fan is a must. I really believe in them.I think Mike T has the right answer.
In my area I would hardly use AC unless extremely hot.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #16

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
yup...fantastic fan, it is! we have the maxx air cover for use during the rain---essential, in my estimation--but we have found the fan does an excellent job...the only downside..we can not use it when boondocking because of the draw on the battery...since our fridge only runs on ac/dc and not on propane, having the battery dedicated mostly to the use of the fridge for boondocking takes priority.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Raya,

I understood what you meant about blocking air when the fan isn't being used (turned on). I still say the blades don't block as much air as one might think. I say that as one who rarely turns the fan on but always has the lid open for air to come in on it's own. It's surprising how much air comes in with blades appearing to block a lot of the opening.

I really don't use the fan much.

Just my humble opinion.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote