Favorite camping spots and sights to see. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Favorite camping spots and sights to see.

My favorite wintertime activity is to plan my spring, summer and fall camping trips. I got to wondering how many of us have favorite spots we camp at every year. If you have one why not share and include some sites to see in that area.

I have a few in Vermont and a few in New York's Adirondacks.
I'll add them to this topic tomorrow....I prefer State Parks with limited hookups
and waterfront lake sites.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
My favorites in Vermont:Half Moon Pond...smaller campground without "day-use" park visitors...this prevents overcrowded conditions...most sites are lakefront.
Next is Button Bay Campground right on Lake Champlain...large and well kept with large sites and fantastic views of the Adirondack Mountains just across the waters of Lake Champlain...visit the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum when there it is about one mile away. Lake Champlain was the setting of many of the actions of the Revolutionary War, and don't miss visiting Fort Ticonderoga just over the Lake Champlain Bridge at Crown Point, New York.

New York State has many fantastic state campgrounds....the one at Crown Point, NY on Lake Champlain (a 120+ mile long lake that runs into Canada).
In the Adirondack Mountains don't miss the huge waterfront campground (over 200 sites) on the waterfront of "Fish Creek Ponds" at Saranac Lake, New York.
Another is Cranberry Lake also in the 6 million Acre Adirondack Park. There are too many New York State Parks in the Adirondacks to list here.
Visit this web site for details and pictures of each individual campsite in the Adirondacks.....campadk.com. Best web site for campers visiting the Adirondacks who want a natural experience...campgrounds have water available located throughout the campgrounds...large sites...many great ponds and lakes..picnic tables, fire rings and plenty of bathrooms with showers etc.
These are very special places throughout the Adirondack Wilderness.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We visited Vermont this last year and stayed in a lodge, before we had our FGRV, and we thrilled by the views. We're looking forward to the adventures we're gonna have this season as we explore our home state of Kentucky. However, you make the Adirondacks sound really appealing. Thanks for your post.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Having grown up in upstate ny ( small town if Deposit)
I always remember camping at Brown Tract in Adirondack mtn... Then later i was moved by my employer to Vermont .... Both have great camping spots....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Love the ADK, can not wait to take my new (to me) renovated scamp up there this year. Usually stay at privately own North Pole Campgrounds. Your at the base of White Face Mountain and on the Ausable River. A few water sites (only for FGRV size) throw in your kayak go 200 yds and your at a public beach on the river. 20 minutes from Lake Placid and the 1986 Winter Olympic venues, 20 minutes from ADK Loj. Great place, beautiful mountains (climbed 13, so only 33 more to go). I believe the say it is the largest state park in the lower 48. Anyway, lots to do and I am never disappointed.
rocknboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
in Vermont when do you start camping ?
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
Vermont State Parks
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
We do indeed have summer here in Vermont and it's a holiday. Some refer to it as 4th of July.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #9

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

I'll bite : )

In the Pacific Northwest...
All the below sites would be considered "Primitive" in that they do not have water or electric available and have only vault toilets (if even that)...this is our preferred mode of camping.

In no particular order of preference, though we do make sure to visit each year:

Sunset Falls Campground
Open Year Round, ~18 Primitive sites with pit toilets along a beautiful river (with gold panning available). ~1 hour north of Portland Oregon in Washington.

Lower Falls Campground
Open from ~Memorial Day through October~ 40 Primitive sites with vault toilets on an amazingly beautiful river with breathtaking waterfalls ( yup I meant every word of that! ) ~2 hours north of Portland Oregon in Washington.

Yellowbottom Recreation area
Open ~Memorial Day through October~ 20 Primitive sites with vault toilets a walk away from another great river. There is also an eleven mile area along the same river before the campground that is set aside for gold prospecting and free camping at ~40 first-com-first-served sites on the river. ~2 hours south of Portland Oregon.

Nehalem Falls Campground
Open ~Memorial Day through October~ 12 Primitive sites with vault toilets. There are also ~12 free dispersed sites close by that are open year round...though you will be sharing the camp-area with black bears and big kitty cats from about November through March : ) ~1.5 hours south of Astoria Oregon.

YMMV... but we make sure we've got our bear spray at all times.

Happy Trails and safe travels.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
We do indeed have summer here in Vermont and it's a holiday. Some refer to it as 4th of July.
I remember the year summer happened to be on a Thursday...
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #11

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I remember the year summer happened to be on a Thursday...
That must have been the time it was turned into a long weekend.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #12

The Adirondacks has to be one fantastic place to take a trailer. We were there at Blue Mountain just pre-trailer and would love to go back with our Escape. So many great lakes and towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
My favorites in Vermont:Half Moon Pond...smaller campground without "day-use" park visitors...this prevents overcrowded conditions...most sites are lakefront.
Next is Button Bay Campground right on Lake Champlain...large and well kept with large sites and fantastic views of the Adirondack Mountains just across the waters of Lake Champlain...visit the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum when there it is about one mile away. Lake Champlain was the setting of many of the actions of the Revolutionary War, and don't miss visiting Fort Ticonderoga just over the Lake Champlain Bridge at Crown Point, New York.

New York State has many fantastic state campgrounds....the one at Crown Point, NY on Lake Champlain (a 120+ mile long lake that runs into Canada).
In the Adirondack Mountains don't miss the huge waterfront campground (over 200 sites) on the waterfront of "Fish Creek Ponds" at Saranac Lake, New York.
Another is Cranberry Lake also in the 6 million Acre Adirondack Park. There are too many New York State Parks in the Adirondacks to list here.
Visit this web site for details and pictures of each individual campsite in the Adirondacks.....campadk.com. Best web site for campers visiting the Adirondacks who want a natural experience...campgrounds have water available located throughout the campgrounds...large sites...many great ponds and lakes..picnic tables, fire rings and plenty of bathrooms with showers etc.
These are very special places throughout the Adirondack Wilderness.

Happy Camping !
Old 01-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #13

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
OK, Here's my Two cents! Two places in North California I love to camp at is Albion River camp ground on the ocean off of Highway 1 and Ocean Cove camp ground also right on Highway 1! The views from Ocean Cove can't be beat!
All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp
Everything listed sounds awesome. My favorite Minnesota camping area is the Boundary Waters BWCA from Ely, MN to Canada where you canoe in and the North Shore of Lake Superior, north of Duluth, MN at State Parks. It starts to get cold after labor day, enough to wear long underwear, hats, gloves, layers and light down jackets. I camp alone mostly because my husband is an urban farmer, so he's busy Spring - Fall. I have a blast meeting wonderful campers. In addition to my Scamp, I have a pop-up, which I am starting to love. Haven't been brave enough to try remote State Forests by myself. I'm a fan of electricity because I never bring propane tanks.
brendaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaross View Post
Everything listed sounds awesome. My favorite Minnesota camping area is the Boundary Waters BWCA from Ely, MN to Canada where you canoe in and the North Shore of Lake Superior, north of Duluth, MN at State Parks. It starts to get cold after labor day, enough to wear long underwear, hats, gloves, layers and light down jackets. I camp alone mostly because my husband is an urban farmer, so he's busy Spring - Fall. I have a blast meeting wonderful campers. In addition to my Scamp, I have a pop-up, which I am starting to love. Haven't been brave enough to try remote State Forests by myself. I'm a fan of electricity because I never bring propane tanks.
What campgrounds are your favorites north of Duluth? I only know Grand Marais and Grand Portage and have seen a couple of others on that route. I also wonder which ones are good into Canada along Superior.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #16
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
What campgrounds are your favorites north of Duluth? I only know Grand Marais and Grand Portage and have seen a couple of others on that route. I also wonder which ones are good into Canada along Superior.
Cathi,
100 miles straight north of Duluth is Ely Minnesota. 10 miles to the south is our second favorite, Bearhead State Park. Great private campsites and awesome eagle watching. If you go 8 miles NW of Ely you hit our favorite, Fall Lake Campground. It is situated right on the entrance to the Boundry Waters. We will often pack a light lunch and do a quick 1 hour kayak to visit the Indian petroglyphs in the cliffs visible only from the water.

I should also mention Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Gooseberry Falls State Park if you want to remain on Lake Superior. Reservations are a must for these two. If you google either one you will quickly see why.
All are spectacular! A great finish to any trek up the North Shore is dinner or tea at the Naniboujou Lodge.
The Naniboujou Lodge and Restaurant
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Cathi,
100 miles straight north of Duluth is Ely Minnesota. 10 miles to the south is our second favorite, Bearhead State Park. Great private campsites and awesome eagle watching. If you go 8 miles NW of Ely you hit our favorite, Fall Lake Campground. It is situated right on the entrance to the Boundry Waters. We will often pack a light lunch and do a quick 1 hour kayak to visit the Indian petroglyphs in the cliffs visible only from the water.

I should also mention Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Gooseberry Falls State Park if you want to remain on Lake Superior. Reservations are a must for these two. If you google either one you will quickly see why.
All are spectacular! A great finish to any trek up the North Shore is dinner or tea at the Naniboujou Lodge.
The Naniboujou Lodge and Restaurant
Sid
I do like Split Rock but do not think I have seen Gooseberry Falls SP campground. Can't beat the Naniboujou. What a place with the Cree paintings and huge stone fireplace. Love the food. Stayed several times. I believe a Bearhead photo is on one of our windshields for the state pass one year. I have been to the area plenty but not with a trailer so don't know many of the campgrounds. Thank you for the info. Will have to make Ely some time.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #18

Cathi,
My favorite is Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay half way to Grand Marais. I love the private sites. My sister and friend love Temperance State Park in Lutsen (I think) which is 30 mins. north of Tettegouche? Tettegouche has hike in sites overlooking Superior, cart in sites and regular electric sites. Also, there is only one bathroom (spotless) and one place to get water. You have to stop at Palisades overlook before Tettegouche. Temperance has beach sites in non-electric area really cool. Both have beaches and/or places to swim in the rivers. Temperance is great if you like camping with friends or getting close to your neighbors. Tettegouche is great for solitude. The hiking is amazing at both campgrounds, waterfalls, overlooks, biking etc. Cascade State Park is wonderful with great hiking too and closer to Grand Marais. They recently went to half electric. The 3 above have more difficult hiking if you so desire. Haven't stayed at Gooseberry, because no electric and it's full every weekend because it's closer to Twin Cities and it's huge, so noisy, but a great waterfall. Hope this helps somewhat. I haven't checked out the non-electric state parks on the Northshore.
State park map: Minnesota DNR
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #19

Sid,

Forgot to mention Bear Head. Love it. Husband went to Fall Lake and said it was great. Also, Jay Cooke is great if you don't want to go as far as Duluth, but you get the great rock hiking and the swing bridge that has washed out twice.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaross View Post
Cathi,
My favorite is Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay half way to Grand Marais. I love the private sites. My sister and friend love Temperance State Park in Lutsen (I think) which is 30 mins. north of Tettegouche? Tettegouche has hike in sites overlooking Superior, cart in sites and regular electric sites. Also, there is only one bathroom (spotless) and one place to get water. You have to stop at Palisades overlook before Tettegouche. Temperance has beach sites in non-electric area really cool. Both have beaches and/or places to swim in the rivers. Temperance is great if you like camping with friends or getting close to your neighbors. Tettegouche is great for solitude. The hiking is amazing at both campgrounds, waterfalls, overlooks, biking etc. Cascade State Park is wonderful with great hiking too and closer to Grand Marais. They recently went to half electric. The 3 above have more difficult hiking if you so desire. Haven't stayed at Gooseberry, because no electric and it's full every weekend because it's closer to Twin Cities and it's huge, so noisy, but a great waterfall. Hope this helps somewhat. I haven't checked out the non-electric state parks on the Northshore.
State park map: Minnesota DNR
That is all good to know, Brenda. We have solar but doubt it would help us at a place like Magney SP which I think is wooded in so I wonder about these others. They have to be better on that. I will have to check some of these out. We have stayed at Jay Cooke. I am interested in Temperance as know where that is. Thanks!