Favorite Campsites - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Favorite Campsites

Kudos to Arizona Eileen awhile back for recommending the campground at Buckskin Mountain State Park in Arizona after the Quartzsite rally. We really enjoyed our stay there. In preparation to attend another rally later this year in Astoria, OR we're just beginning to plan our route from Arizona and decide on places to stay, things to see, etc. I've read reviews elsewhere but none were as accurate or agreeable as what I've read on this forum. Maybe it has to do with our similar interests in the type of trailers we own. Regardless, has anyone thought of a separate forum section where campgrounds can be recommended or reviewed?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have you seen the section of this forum called Camping, Campout Reports? Lots of great info but unfortunately the title of the threads don't always convey the content. If you use the search option on this forum and use the bottom google option you will get better results.

I enjoyed Buckskin Mountain as well- did you get up to the Desert Bar?

Have done many trips through Oregon and Washington (south west).

Astoria is a great little place to explore so make sure you leave yourself lots of time to check out the old town and the Maritime museum. Fort Stevens State park is a nice park but be warned its a bit of walk to the beach. I have gotten in there a number of times mid week without reservations but reservations are a must if you are going to be there on a week-end.

One of my fav parks in Oregon is Nehalem Bay State Park - beside the little surf town of Manzenta. Only a short climb over the sand dune at Nehalem to the beach. The other is Beach Side State Park - the only state parks in Oregon that I know of you where you camp right at the beach - no big sand dune between you and the beach. Make sure you make reservations at Nehalem if going in the summer as it gets pretty busy. Beach Side is a tough one as well - but last summer I managed to score two spots (one for friends who were following a few hours behind) mid week.

If your staying inland and going through the Portland area Champoeg State park is my fav spot to stay in that area. The sites in the lower loop are newer and bit more space between spots than the older original upper loop. Its a bit south of Portland and about 7 miles off the I5 but worth the short detour off the I5.

In the Newport area its a toss up as there are two state parks to choose from, one North of town (Beverly Beach) and one south (South Beach). Beverly is a little further from town and has more tree canopy. Its a bit of walk to the beach at both parks. South Beach is a bit more open and closer to the town of Newport but due to its openness you can feel pretty close to your neighbours! Have been staying at South Beach of late as I enjoy going into Newport to explore the shops and pick up some fresh seafood from the boats at the dock or to one of the many restaurants. There is also an RV park right at the Marina in Newport that is a good choose if you plan on only spending a night or two and enjoying an evening of dinner and drink. Its in town so you will not need a car.

Have fun!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
One of my favorite state parks is Cape Disappointment State Park in Ilwaco Washington. It's just across the river from Astoria Oregon. Old lighthouses, Coast Guard Station a fabulous Lewis and Clark museum are just a few of the things to do there. Campsites are a very easy walk to some beautiful beach with lighthouses, rock cliffs, driftwood piles etc. Last year there was a wrecked fishing boat in the beach. Most likely, some of it is still there. The Columbia River Bar, no not a place to get a beverage, where the river meets the ocean is interesting. The mouth of the Columbia between Astoria Oregon and Ilwaco Washington is also called The Graveyard Of the Pacific. Lots of shipwrecks here.

If old Classic cars is your thing, The "End of The World Rod Run" is the first weekend after Labor Day fills the entire peninsula with all kinds of collectible cars.Long Beach Washington about 10 miles north has great activities for small children as well some great places to eat. Long Beach is one of the few places you can actually drive your car or truck on the beach.

The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center is must if you have a love of history. If you like to fish, PM me and I'll give you some suggestions.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote