Favorite Hammocks - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Favorite Hammocks

I'm wondering if you have a favorite hammock that you like to bring camping. We had a multi-colored nylon one from Mexico which, unfortunately, became hopelessly tangled with use. As much as I love to hike all day I love to "couch potato" in a comfy hammock too. I've seen models that are meant for backpacking Amazon.com: Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock: Sports & Outdoors well as portable folding hammocks Amazon.com: Guide Gear Portable Folding Hammock: Sports & Outdoors. What are your favorite hammocks and why?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Gilda,
I actually bought the first one you linked to, in blue Hawaiian floral, but, sadly, never yet had a campsite with trees the right size and distance apart to use it. I'd love to hear what others who have it like or dislike about it.
Take care,

Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #3

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
I have the Texsport La Paz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P9...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I bought it because it was the least expensive one I could find since I wasn't sure how much I'd use it. Pros are it comes with ropes and carry bag, is fairly compact, and it's cotton (cooler and more comfy in my opinion). Con is that it's not real wide. But fine for one person.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Gilda, we use one of THESE. Very well built, with great materials and seaming. Two can relax in it no problem. We also take it canoeing, a great comfortable place to just hang out. Very lightweight, and packs up nice and small.

We had one like the second one you listed. a well made one too. While it worked great, and the free standing concept was great that it could be set up anywhere, but it was real big and very heavy. We only take it on trips close by where we will not be travelling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Thumbs up Hammock making

My hammock, a single, is one I made years ago with para cord. It is not a complicated process even if you are 'no good at knots'.
I bet there are lots of tutorials on the net and, after I get home in March, I may be able to post my instructions to the site. D
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have a really cool woven nylon hammock, but somehow I have not found a campground which allows anything to be tied to a tree, eventhough it has attachment cords which are large and soft to protect the tree.
Now it just sits in a little bag on a shelf.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Good topic. Note to self to buy a hammock when I get to Mexico next week. Have always wanted one!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
We have had a couple of those woven ones from Mexico. They are really not built very well, and don't last very long. Plus, they are fairly bulky. Though more money, that one I linked to is 10x the value, to me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Gilda, we use one of THESE. Very well built, with great materials and seaming. Two can relax in it no problem. We also take it canoeing, a great comfortable place to just hang out. Very lightweight, and packs up nice and small.
My family bought me one for my b-day. I love it. I would come home from work at night, and read a book or listen to an audiobook on the hammock. I ended up falling asleep for hours, many nights. Awesome hammocks. It's so thin, I was really paranoid about it, but they're incredibly tough. Cats hang out with me in it, and they've never hurt it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4261591777.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	53200
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Here is one that I am thinking seriously of getting (Jungle Hammock from www.mosquitohammock.com) My current hammock is a little bit different. It does not have the integral bug screen or insulation pockets on the underside. My sons have been using hammocks for several years when we go camping and I have only recently begun hanging out when I go camping. The quality of sleep is so much better for me than sleeping on the hard ground (even with a thermarest pad) inside a tent.

Of course, when I have the Escape with me, I will most likely be sleeping on a real bed.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Here is one that I am thinking seriously of getting (Jungle Hammock from www.mosquitohammock.com) My current hammock is a little bit different. It does not have the integral bug screen or insulation pockets on the underside. My sons have been using hammocks for several years when we go camping and I have only recently begun hanging out when I go camping. The quality of sleep is so much better for me than sleeping on the hard ground (even with a thermarest pad) inside a tent.

Of course, when I have the Escape with me, I will most likely be sleeping on a real bed.

I have this hammock and I love it. I use it all the time when back packing!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have had a couple of those woven ones from Mexico. They are really not built very well, and don't last very long. Plus, they are fairly bulky. Though more money, that one I linked to is 10x the value, to me.
Thanks Jim for the input. I had been looking at the REI ones as well. Wondered if anyone had tried out this one. Seems a little lighter than the one you have posted the link to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

Alberta
Registry
I know nothing about that one, Carol. It does seem to get good reviews.

edit: I did look further at the specs and see it is considerably smaller, and has a smaller weight limit. I know two of us can hang out in ours with no problem.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #14

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Check out the Hennesy Hammock. I have one for very light weight back country camping.