Favorite part of your camper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #21

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Dean,

The swivel chairs are something I admire in a Casita. We can't have them in the Oliver.
Hi John,

Laura and I often talk about what our “retirement” RV might look like; however, we still have 3.5 years of work before worrying too much. In the meantime, we have plenty of time to love the one we are with!

As you know, Laura and I are Oliver fans. We have attended a couple of Oliver rallies. In fact, Scott Oliver has been in our Casita and the swivel chairs definitely caught his attention.

I often wonder if I would be as comfortable in a booth dinette of an Oliver 23.5, Escape 21, or Bigfoot 21? Until then, we leave on Tuesday for a 4 day run up to Lincoln State Park in Santa Claus, IN.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Some people have managed to install swivel seats on top of side dinette bases. Then you don't lose the storage, but gain more comfortable seating. It usually means cutting the table down a bit to make room for the seats to swivel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Just curious here. What is the advantage of a swivel chair? To me or seems you give up storage space with no need can see to swivel.

Maybe I am just used to bench seats where 4 can sit, and turning the seating space into lounging space, or an additional bed, as needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I'm with p@, that I love the entirety of Peanut, including its graphics outside, name, and color scheme inside. I like the storage including the front putin, the wheels, the all-electricness, and the weight and size. I love going out there during the day when at home, and just feeling tension drain away. I love the potential trips, the feeling we're not limited to someone else's beds and toilets in hotels, and the freedom to let our dog get on the furniture. I love that we own it free and clear, and that we redid it from the frame and skin up (and that so many helped us so kindly). I love the electric cooler, microwave, and especially our decorative tin signs.

Now if my back would finish healing and we could only go camping again...

Meanwhile, I love it as a little retreat in the driveway for Paul, and I love having it parked out there, like a little symbol of our being retired and financially at ease without having had to spend a ton of money or give up a lot of driveway space.

BEST,
Kai
Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #25

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul's favorite part of Peanut is his galley and his bed. Good for reading and sleeping.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #26

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just curious here. What is the advantage of a swivel chair? To me or seems you give up storage space with no need can see to swivel.

Maybe I am just used to bench seats where 4 can sit, and turning the seating space into lounging space, or an additional bed, as needed.
Hi Jim,

Our Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe is the exact same floor plan as the Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe with the only difference that the Spirit has a 2 person side dinette booth and we have side dinette with two swivel captain’s chairs instead. We give up the storage cabinets under each bench, but we still use the open space for a variety of items. It is just not enclosed. In addition, after we eat a meal, we enjoy swiveling the chairs where we can stretch our legs into the center aisle and talk. Of course, you can rotate your buns in the side dinette to do the same thing. Also, we place my iPad on the kitchen counter and rotate our swivel chairs to face the iPad to watch Netflix, etc. Again you can do this by rotating your buns with the Spirit’s side dinette bench.

We bought the Freedom Deluxe because it was a 17’ egg that was available at the time. My biggest surprise and, ultimately, favorite feature has been those swivel captain’s chairs. LOL.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:

Unless assisted by a variety of cushions, my back can only tolerate sitting in a dinette seat with a bolt-upright seatback for as long as it takes to eat a meal.

I like the front sofa in our Scamp because the backrest is nicely angled and supported by a plywood backing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #28

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
I know this is silly, and will probably change once I actually get to camping in my Casita, but I do love the very clean, blond carpet all over the walls and ceiling. I may have to call her Lambchop.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #29

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Interesting thread and made me think. I love the Parkliner’s openness, storage, and flexibility. High ceilings and lots of windows (and screen door) make it open. High ceiling cabinets all around contribute to storage. And I can configure the bed and seating to have a queen, double, 2 cots, 4 place dining, side dining for 2, and/or a slanted back lounge on one side. Easily. All good.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #30

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
But I don’t have an oven, Jon!
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #31

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
after years cruising in a small sailboat ("sponge baths" or solar showers on deck in isolated anchorages)....it's the shower in my trailer...

anywhere, anytime to have a hot shower when you want or need one feels like "luxury" (I rerouted an existing heat duct so that my bathroom is now heated when I turn the furnace on!)

it's a "wet bath" and I have no complaints about the "wet" part...if I had my druthers I'd have a wet bath in my house...only just larger in size
Vey interesting bath layout. I've never seen the seat looking area. I like it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #32

Colorado
Quote:

In a Casita only 1 person can sit on each side of the small table. We put storage bins under the swivel chairs and don't lose that much storage. Since the bench seats are so uncomfortable I'd never have one anyway. The bench type seats along the big dinette are not as bad as the single ones. Under one of the bench seats is the wheel well and electric stuff. So you don't have much storage anyway. Comfort before storage in that area.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #33

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
What is your favorite part of the Camper? Mine you ask? Traveling with a BATHROOM! At my age it is nice to pull over & hop out to the bathroom.
Sometimes I get out of the truck like I am on a Broadway stage. I have a big smile, my arms are outstretched like I am in the sound of music. I twirl 2 & a half times & up on my toes as I approach the door. As I unlock the door, I look over my shoulder and noticed the open mouths of the jealous people, as I smile & shut the door behind me.
Toilet then the fridge.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
my favorite part?

My Scamp13D... Its just one thing.
Its like a swiss army pet.
Eggy-Sue has all the right junk in all the right places.
Its all about having a base camp with all the comforts of home.

Yes...with Eggy-Sue ....Its all about that base!

(camp)

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #35

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
my favorite part?

My Scamp13D... Its just one thing.
Its like a swiss army pet.
Eggy-Sue has all the right junk in all the right places.
Its about having a base camp with all the comforts of home.

Yes...with Eggy-Sue ....Its all about that base!

(camp)

Hi Floyd,

LOL, it is all about that base. That about sums it up. BTW, Laura loves that song and just danced all the way through the video!

Thanks,

Dean
Old 07-06-2019, 09:07 AM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
In a Casita only 1 person can sit on each side of the small table. We put storage bins under the swivel chairs and don't lose that much storage. Since the bench seats are so uncomfortable I'd never have one anyway. The bench type seats along the big dinette are not as bad as the single ones. Under one of the bench seats is the wheel well and electric stuff. So you don't have much storage anyway. Comfort before storage in that area.
I hadn't thought about the smaller dinette. They would work there. Our large 4 person dinette would be a different story, besides with have the batteries and all electrical and electronic stuff under the seat, along with the water heater so it would not be possible there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Jim,

Our Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe is the exact same floor plan as the Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe with the only difference that the Spirit has a 2 person side dinette booth and we have side dinette with two swivel captain’s chairs instead. We give up the storage cabinets under each bench, but we still use the open space for a variety of items. It is just not enclosed. In addition, after we eat a meal, we enjoy swiveling the chairs where we can stretch our legs into the center aisle and talk. Of course, you can rotate your buns in the side dinette to do the same thing. Also, we place my iPad on the kitchen counter and rotate our swivel chairs to face the iPad to watch Netflix, etc. Again you can do this by rotating your buns with the Spirit’s side dinette bench.

We bought the Freedom Deluxe because it was a 17’ egg that was available at the time. My biggest surprise and, ultimately, favorite feature has been those swivel captain’s chairs. LOL.

Take care,

Dean
Yep, makes sense in this trailer for sure. I just looked at layouts as I haven't perused them in a few years and now see things there clearer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Unless assisted by a variety of cushions, my back can only tolerate sitting in a dinette seat with a bolt-upright seatback for as long as it takes to eat a meal.

I like the front sofa in our Scamp because the backrest is nicely angled and supported by a plywood backing.
Other than dealing with a badly cracked vertebrae from my recent fall now, my back is fortunately not in bad shape. I am quite young compared to the masses here, only 61.

Have you tried one of those seats that go on top of a bench with a padded back and arms. Just a thought as they are liked by some folks. I know on our dinette benches I put a pool noodle behind the back cushion at the bottom to give it some slope, though most times don't usually lean back unless socializing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #37

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I have a Boler 1700 that is completely stripped and it came with none of the original interior. So, it is a blank canvas to build up how I want, and that's what I like about my Boler for now. My plan is to do twin beds in back with a galley across the front and a wet bath center of the roadside wall. Basically stealing the Airstream Base Camp layout but more room and comfortable beds. Of course I have to finish my 77 Airstream Argosy rebuild first, then I will get to work on the Boler.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Frye View Post
I have a Boler 1700 that is completely stripped and it came with none of the original interior. So, it is a blank canvas to build up how I want, and that's what I like about my Boler for now. My plan is to do twin beds in back with a galley across the front and a wet bath center of the roadside wall. Basically stealing the Airstream Base Camp layout but more room and comfortable beds. Of course I have to finish my 77 Airstream Argosy rebuild first, then I will get to work on the Boler.
how wide is that Boler? a side bath makes for a very narrow aisle.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #39

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't know about the rest of you but my favorite part is the fiberglass shell which keeps things dry and lightweight. The "stuff" that gets put inside of it is easy enough to find in other types of RVs. Having fiberglass, a lightweight but strong shell that is not prone to a lot of leaky seams is the one essential thing that sold me on it.

Beds, toilets, stoves, showers, blah, blah, blah, those are easy to manage even when you camp out of a car.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #40
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Here is a great video from Brex, who is 6 foot tall and toured some trailers at the Oregon meet.

https://youtu.be/lNB9UJPo8J8

https://youtu.be/lNB9UJPo8J8
tua is offline   Reply With Quote