Favorite part of your camper? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 AM   #61

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I love my Dometic RM8551 refrigerator. It is such an inconsistent performer I can never be certain it will cool on propane for the duration of any trip. Like once again, last week. It was great on shore power. Then, it went up to 60 degrees when dry camping and 5 dots on propane. Thank the stars at Dometic for making me keep an ice chest in the truck. Very convenient. Guess I'll have to clean out that little orifice at the burner once again, and hope it doesn't fall out into the grass where I will never ever find it and have to pay Dometic $45bucks for another one.
And what actions have you taken to diagnose or address the “poor” performance. My refrigerator is an RM8555. It, too, cooled erratically until I moved the thermistor off of the fins. Now I rarely run it on the highest setting (5 bars) on either electric or propane as it freezes things, and sometimes does the same on 4 bars. Three years ago I spent a week in Monument Valley in July and it was extremely hot. I did run it on 5 bars there, and even in the hottest part of the day, the refrigerator never went over 37° F. These Dometics are not compressor refrigerators, and many people expect them to perform as well as one with a compressor. There are, however, steps one can often take to improve their performance. And while I understand frustration, it alone will not address the issue. Try removing the thermistor from its mount and attach it to the refrigerator’s wall with a piece of double stick foam tape if you haven’t already done so. If this doesn’t help, the control board may be exhibiting an intermittent problem.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #62

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Oh please let's not let this devolve into fridge trouble shooting... There are other places for that.

I appreciate my camper but definitely don't need it to camp. I still love backpacking and I still love tent camping/car camping. But I do love how I can pull into a parking lot and sleep in my own bed, and in general travel with my own self contained space.

But in the end, I think my favorite part of my camper is the L-shaped couch. There's a little counter space at the head of it, right near the door, and I sit there in the morning and drink coffee or tea, and stare out the window (another thing I love about my trailer - the huge windows).
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #63

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Agreed. Carl the fridge problem has been totally blasted to death already on the Escape Forum. Go there if you really need to know more.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #64

Name: Doug
California
Registry
After some years of tent and tent trailer camping I think my favorite feature is the freezer section of the frig which will actually make ice. A couple cubes in a cold drink on a hot day feels like real luxury.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
After some years of tent and tent trailer camping I think my favorite feature is the freezer section of the frig which will actually make ice. A couple cubes in a cold drink on a hot day feels like real luxury.
I too love the freezer, but not for the little bit of ice we use, but we can keep ice cream there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #66

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Freezer and oven are a great addition. For camping they are a luxury, but since I live out of my camper at times, they're really, really nice to have.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #67

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Agreed. Carl the fridge problem has been totally blasted to death already on the Escape Forum. Go there if you really need to know more.
First off, I am not the one who brought up the refrigerator problem. Go to a mirror if you want to see who did. And I know all about refrigerators; I don’t need to go to the Escape Forum to read all the posts of the whiners who apparently do not understand how they work. And forgive me for trying to help you out; that was a mistake.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #68

Name: Myron
New Mexico
Registry
Steady there, Carl, lighten up, it was just a joke. (read post #58.) If you were ever on the Escape Forum you'd see that. (Maybe not.)
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #69

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
fave??

The two separate 31"x83" longitudinal twin beds in the back of our Casita Independence Dlx 17'..stretch out and not also bother my wife or vice cersa when I get up at nite. Very comfy with the added 4" memory foam toppers too.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #70

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Well because I haven’t gotten to camp in my “new to me” Scamp, I don’t know if there will be a more favorite part than finally seeing the words Scamp in my rear view mirror or even just seeing her sitting in my yard !!!
I’ve only owned her for a week and I love her and can’t wait to use her but........ I love my kids more, so I hauled my precious “new” Scamp 4 hours to my daughter so they can live in it while they transition from one house to another !! They closed on their house this morning I’ve waited 30 years for my Scamp so I guess a few more weeks won’t kill me, I still own a SCAMP !!! Yippee [emoji2]
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #71

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The bathroom while towing in many rural areas.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
The bathroom while towing in many rural areas.
Fortunately camping mostly in Canada we have lots of trees.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #73

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Fortunately camping mostly in Canada we have lots of trees.
Yeah
Attached Thumbnails
Women_Men.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #74

Registry
LMAO

My wife would agree with your post, Donna.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Of course, Alberta has lots of cows.
Attached Thumbnails
cow outhouse w.jpg  
Old 08-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #76

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Shirley,

Seeing our little FGRVs parked outside IS really great, isn't it? I so hear you!
Happy, happy trails when you do get to camp in her!

BEST
"K"
Old 08-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #77

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Shirley,

Seeing our little FGRVs parked outside IS really great, isn't it? I so hear you!

Happy, happy trails when you do get to camp in her!

BEST

"K"

Thank you Kai,
Although I can’t hardly stand the wait, I’m happy I have it for my kids to use. They sent me pics with it all set up, tent canopy, lights, plants and all and said, “thanks for the camper mom” haha dreamers !

Happy trails to you in all your adventures!!!
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote