FERRY TRAVELS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
We are planning a trip to Florida & have a few Ferry crossing on our route. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems going off or on Ferries with the plumbing pipes catching or getting broke off ?? My goose neck for the shower looks to hang alwful low & it looks to be no way to make it shorter... THANKS FOR THE INPUT...KENN
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've been on two ferries and haven't had a problem yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0369a.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	6156

Over to Madeline Islands in Wisconsin.

Also on a huge sucker across Lake Michigan from Michigan to Wisconsin.

Edit:
After reading Craig's note, I should mention that my Casita has the 14" tires and doesn't have the frame lift.

This is no guarantee of course, just a report on my experiences....so far.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has had any problems going off or on Ferries with the plumbing pipes catching or getting broke off ?? My goose neck for the shower looks to hang alwful low & it looks to be no way to make it shorter...
Kenn, you don't say what make and model trailer you have, so it's difficult to give you specific advice. By "gooseneck" I presume you're talking about a p-trap in your shower drain? Generally speaking if you haven't taken your plumbing off driving on normal roads and coming in and out of driveways, you aren't likely to have a problem boarding a ferry.

A general suggestion would be to measure the clearance on flat ground of the lowest points of the undercarriage of your tow vehicle, trailer tongue and whatever is lowest under your trailer. If those points are all of similar height, you won't have any problems.

Placement of the shower drain p-trap is also of importance as the only place it would be more likely to be damaged would be near the rear bumper. Anything mid-mound would be protected by the axle, and a front bath would generally be protected by the tongue and tongue jack assembly.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #4

SORRY EVERYONE I FORGOT TO DO A PROFILE ON THIS SITE.... 95 CASITA 16' SD. Thanks for the responces... I remember reading that some had knocked their p-trap going into gas stations with the funny curved curb.... I've seen a lot of campers & trailer rear bottom out going on the Hatteras ferry below me. But have never taken ours over there yet... Kenn
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Kenn,
I have made many ferry crossings with me 16’ SD that is equipped with 14" wheels and standard axle. I was concerned about getting off of the Yukon River ferry at Dawson City when the motor home in front of me had to be towed up the river bank by a caterpillar but the Casita made it with no trouble at all.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I have yet to put my Fiberstream on a ferry, but I have towed many others without problem. One comment though, make sure you know the dimensions (length, width, and especially heightO of your rig as it sits. Most ferries take you at your word on the height dimension, with you resaponsible for the consequences. A number of years ago, we were taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to the Queen Charlottes in BC. Knowing the BC ferry height and length restrictions without going into the extra cost category, I carefully meassured mine. It was 3" short of the length limit and about 2.5" shorter than the height limit. When we pulled into the terminal, the asked me to confirm my height, which I gave them. They said OK and let me go into the lower hold. We were put on the outside wall of the ship. I had to fold in my trailering mirrors to fit. As we were getting out, they lowered a second car deck above us with a bang that was hinged to the wall, and there was my 2.5" clearance! Was I ever glad I had done my homework!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have driven on and off many Washington State ferries in various cars, no trailer except for a pop up once.

Thier system is slick, as they are almost a bus service for Seattle, and the on/off ramps are very smooth and easy going. They have the system streamlined (But not if you listened to my Dad, who grumped everytime HE had to drive on one... LOL!)

They are effected by tide as it's saltwater, I am not sure Florida would be any worse for angle of ramp at low tide or not.

Thier ferries range from 4-5 car only decks to cruise ship size. I think you'll do OK.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Early Casitas were equipped with a white plastic trap under the shower, which was highly subject to damage -- They switched to a black (rubber?) trap which is flexible -- Call Casita parts or visit a home improvement center with a wide range of plumbing products for an upgrade.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
I've got a later model SD 16' with the rubber trap. I dragged (and damaged) it on a bad driveway entrance, and looked a long time for its replacement.
I found it at a local plumbing supply, exactly the same as the factory part.
The bag it came in is labelled Mfg#302001, Flexible J-Bend, brand name is Pro Plus. UPC is 0 76355 30201 0.
Wilmington DE, but no address or website. Price was $5.50.
Piece is made for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 so you use cutting pliers to cut off the smaller end.
I had to re-use the Casita clamps as the new ones supplied with the part were about one Nth too short.
P
Hope this helps if you have a problem with the ferries!
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #10

Quote:
I've got a later model SD 16' with the rubber trap. I dragged (and damaged) it on a bad driveway entrance, and looked a long time for its replacement.
I found it at a local plumbing supply, exactly the same as the factory part.
The bag it came in is labelled Mfg#302001, Flexible J-Bend, brand name is Pro Plus. UPC is 0 76355 30201 0.
Wilmington DE, but no address or website. Price was $5.50.
Piece is made for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 so you use cutting pliers to cut off the smaller end.
I had to re-use the Casita clamps as the new ones supplied with the part were about one Nth too short.
P
Hope this helps if you have a problem with the ferries!
P Thanks for the J-bend tip. That plastic 1 on my '95 just looks to be just waiting to get knocked off. I'm getting 1 today... Kennn