FG Rallies: What to do? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
FG Rallies: What to do?

I was looking for other things, but ran across this.
It's probably old news (or no news). Just throwing it out there.

10 Things to Do at an RV Rally | News OK

Also ran across a club listing:

http://www.rvpark411.com/find-rv-clubs.html

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Just a word of caution for whats its worth based on actual experience in regards to organizing FG Rallies. If the party doing the organizing hasn't taken out any Rally insurance I strongly suggest they don't organize or negotiate anything on behalf of the group, much other than a pot luck - LOL some might even argue that can be risky ;-) If your going to do an organized event, insurance can be purchased relatively cheaply in the USA & you can charge each event participant a fee to cover it - many trailer rallies outside the FG world are all done that way - as are most car club rallies. Sad but all to real reality of the world we live in.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
At least 7 of the 10 items listed are good reasons to leave them out of FGRV activities.....

We went to several of the really big Wally Bynum Airstream Rallies back in the day and my $.02 worth, "Never Again".

Words I would use to describe the Airstream events would be: regimented, militaristic, and run by a group with real power issues, so much so that sub groups would form just to get away from the planned activities.

There was everything from Commanding Generals to doughboy grunts running things, all with appropriate badges and ribbons extoling their senority or place in the chain of command/pecking order.

I can actually remember the "Grunts" banging on trailer doors to harang you get moving so you wouldn't miss out on the next event.

That all said, I like the smaller, informal events to anything that the Airstream or Family Motorhome type/size groups think is "Fun".
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I bought this DVD from National Film Board of Canada. It is entertaining.

Caravaners

• A film by
  • George Johnson

• List Price: $19.95
  • Add to Cart
The three hundred Airstream trailers that are prowling the highways of British Columbia represent a new breed of nomad. Too active to just sit at home, but too cautious to strike out on their own, these retired couples have signed up for an organized caravan tour sponsored by the company that manufactures the trailers. Few surprises are in store for the group, but then they're never alone, and they don't have to worry about the day's route or entertainment.

Details

ID NO.153C0178008Duration:27 min 42 s
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Glenn that does sound like a chuckle - what year was it filmed????
Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

British Columbia
I'm not sure. In the '60s I think from the cars.
Great scene of the trailers lining up to dump ( into a sewer for crying out loud! ).
I will have the DVD and player with me at the Escape Rally in Osoyoos.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

British Columbia
The price might seem a little steep, but they pretty much burn the DVD for you on request.
A friend with a Trillium and I emailed asking about the flick and they replied that they were converting films to digital according to the number of requests they got. So, we both asked and shortly after had the DVDs.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The price might seem a little steep, but they pretty much burn the DVD for you on request.
A friend with a Trillium and I emailed asking about the flick and they replied that they were converting films to digital according to the number of requests they got. So, we both asked and shortly after had the DVDs.
gezzz Glenn your going to bring the new PC patrol and no doubt a newly formed copyright gang crashing down on us!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

British Columbia
How's that? It's an NFB film and the NFB sells the DVD. http://www.nfb.ca/

baglo
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
LOL well we could argue that we the people have paid for that film many many times over but have hunch as the feds are involved........ should I say more
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This June will be our 6th year attending what started as a teardrop gathering, but now includes about any camper and a few tents. Originally it had a pot luck, but as the number of attendees grew that was dropped and replaced by a wine & cheese & snacks thing, followed by a steal a gift event. Someone else in the group decided to start a beer tasting thing on another night, and another couple did a food drive to benefit the local food pantry. But basically it's the one evening thing, the rest of the time you're on your own, wander around and visit, check out other trailers, kayak, bike or whatever. A few campfires will be going and people will gather at those if they want. All the organization we need!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
OHIO Rally Organizer

Name: Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Viewfinder
Ohio
Rally Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Just a word of caution for whats its worth based on actual experience in regards to organizing FG Rallies. If the party doing the organizing hasn't taken out any Rally insurance I strongly suggest they don't organize or negotiate anything on behalf of the group, much other than a pot luck - LOL some might even argue that can be risky ;-) If your going to do an organized event, insurance can be purchased relatively cheaply in the USA & you can charge each event participant a fee to cover it - many trailer rallies outside the FG world are all done that way - as are most car club rallies. Sad but all to real reality of the world we live in.
OK, Carol, I am more than a bit curious about your post. Sounds like you have had some bad experiences organizing a rally? This year is my 9th year for our rallies. I have found out there is NO way to please everyone, but I keep trying! I assume you are joking about rally insurance?
Sandy
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
"At least 7 of the 10 items listed are good reasons to leave them out of FGRV activities..... " BOB

That's what I thought Bob.
Struck me more of an expo than a rally.

"But basically it's the one evening thing, the rest of the time you're on your own, wander around and visit, check out other trailers, kayak, bike or whatever. A few campfires will be going and people will gather at those if they want. All the organization we need!" MARY AND BOB

Words of wisdom.........Every event is unique in it's own right.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #14

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm not Carol, but an old hand at coordinating hotrod runs. My club put on a yearly (weekend) event for more than 30 years. We charged a participation fee. We carried $1,000,000 liability insurance because people do stupid things. Our club had federal and state non-profit status, but we found out (before the hardway) that each member could be sued. None of us were excited about that! I think the insurance cost was about $150 a year... because we only used it once a year for four days max. We considered that "cheap" insurance.

Carol?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote