Fgrv - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Fgrv

Since we started our cross-country trek in June we have met a number of folks pulling various fibreglas RV's as well as those who have looked at or are considering purchase...not one of them knew anything about this website.

This has surprised me and Mr. 2yax a bit. We always encourage them to do their research and give them the sheet we've made up with this website, the one that lists fiberglass trailers for sale and a list of the current manufacturers.

What has your experience been when meeting owners / lookers?

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Josie&Craig, years ago.... I made up my own business cards. Not only to remind folks they had met me, but for them to remember we discussed FiberglassRV. Here's one I've handed out for years. I think they're very handy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DonnaDBusinessCard.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	75697

I now have a new one
Click image for larger version

Name:	BusinessCard.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	75698

Because YES there are tons of folks that haven't researched all molded towables and know NOTHING about us!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Most other fiberglass camper owners that we've met don't seem to know of this site, and don't seem to care if told. Therefore we usually don't mention it, or if we ask if they are on here and they say no we drop it at that point. We do get some lookers and questions though, mainly because of having original Uhaul decals on our trailer and the small size of it. We always are open to showing it and answering questions.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
How about buying a decal from the FRV store and displaying it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Okay, so I'm a type-A personality. I am who I am. Some would be embarressed to tell this kind of story on themselves.... I'm not, I just laugh at my own foolishness.

Picture this, it's the 12th Oregon Gathering at Bullard's Beach State Park. The gathering starts on Thursday, but it's Tuesday and a bunch of trailers are coming in early.

It's late afternoon on Tuesday, I'm walking B Loop with my bud's Dave and Kathie and we spot a 17' Escape that's pulled in (from Canada) and is hooking up. Lights are on inside the trailer.

So, we stop... Hi I'm Donna D. and We're Glad You're here. Got this strange look from "Rob." We chat about nonsense for a 30 seconds or so, then I notice the door to the trailer is open and being the "friendly" person I am, I go to the door and poke my head inside and say "helloooo, helllooo." Rob says, kinda tersely "Can I help you"? In the meantime, Dave notices things aren't quite right and walks down the road about 100'.

Okay, in the end... Rob knew NOTHING about the Oregon Gathering and he was wondering who the WACKO woman (Donna D.) was and her behavior was just flat weird...

Kathie and I (and Dave) continued our rounds.

The next day Rob looked me up and apologized... like he needed to do THAT?

We laughed about the entire situation. And we ALL made a memory. Shudda given Rob a business card because I bet we all laugh about the situation years from now.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Wife was showing us their Casita and husband told us tour's over, get out, so most times we will just say hi as we walk by and try to get a feel for how they may respond to more conversation. Better yet, let them come to us first as we welcome everybody.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
True story I stuck with Donna because a true friend is someone who knows how crazy you are but is still willing to be seen with you in public - in our case I guess it works both ways - we figured Dave was going for bail in case we needed it!

We have run into folks from time to time and are surprised that they are not familiar with this website. Most folks seem happy to have the information. Agree some folks prefer to keep to themselves - whatever floats your boat.

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #8

OMG Kathie my eyes are still leaking

There will alway people who stay in the corner. Even all molded towable owners. We have often said, don't buy an EGG if you don't like people or are shy. These all molded towables kinda bring attention. Everywhere from campgrounds to gas stations.

I always try to have my personal business card in my pocket when my trailer(s) is under tow. Because, even if folks want to stay in their corners.. sometime... they'll want better advice than they'll get from a "rv service" company... you know, the kind that suggests to fix a window leak is to apply a whole tube of silicone around the outside of the frame...

This place, FiberglassRV, is a community of like minded, kind and helpful people. We just need to help people "get" here.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I printed copies of the home page of this web site. If I see someone with a unit I just give them a copy after asking them if they are aware of it. Most say no. no one has turned down a copy of the page.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #10

South Carolina
Registry
We have cards, too, Donna...or did before we handed them all out. Will be making new ones when we get home.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 PM   #11

South Carolina
Registry
Daily Tours

These babies get lots of attention and I always remember what Donna says about not having one if you're not willing to have people look at it.

We have been in parks, rest stops, Walmart parking lots, restaurant parking lots, etc and given the 50 center tour every time someone has asked.

The ones that are the most fun are the people who verrrrrry slowly walk by and you just know they'd really like to take a "peek" inside...so we invite them in.

It's been fun for us and fun for them as well...we meet interesting people and have had none turn down the info (even if they may have thrown it out later)

We love our Li'l Scamp and really don't mind showing it off to others. I particularly like showing them the mods Craig has made that are just for me...like the shoe cubby that doubles as a step for the bed and the take apart stool for my feet at the dining table...all because I'm directionally challenged (and he loves me).

The sticker is a good idea Norm. I've also wondered about those see-through windshield type for the front since our trailer is often hidden from view by the kayaks on the car when we honk and wave at other glassers on the road. (Given the fact we've met so many folks who don't know about FGRV it might just be a moot point.)

Josie

Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
When I had my first Aliner many years ago (still had young children at home), I had one of the first 10 Aliners ever sold. We would pull into a campground, pup it up in about 30 seconds, and before we could do anything else, crowds of fellow campers would converge on our site. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I've never seen anything like that" or "I saw you back in, turned away for a moment, and when I looked back it was already set up" I could have retired years before I did. I had several people question me about my Scamp 19 on a recent month-long trip, but I can honestly say it was nothing compared to that first Aliner.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Carl, yes, there's a similar fascination between A frames and eggs. I tend to go chat with both types of owners when I see them in the CGs. Ordinary trailers, nah they're a dime a dozen; but these other types stand out.

I like Gene's idea of printing the FGRV home page for distribution. Good idea!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Old thread but new question for Donna, where did you get those nice cards?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Old thread but new question for Donna, where did you get those nice cards?
Vista Print. At the time, 500 cards was about $10. You must provide a print ready design.

I created another card for the Boler 50th event. Aint' she a babe
Attached Thumbnails
BusinessCard.jpg  
Old 06-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Vista Print. At the time, 500 cards was about $10. You must provide a print ready design.
I created another card for the Boler 50th event. Aint' she a babe
Donna D, these cards are very nice. We met you several years ago at the Quincy gathering, and I toured your trailer. If I knew that your trailer was a 1988 at the time, I've certainly forgotten. At any rate, I seem to remember thinking it was new, so well done!
Old 06-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
Donna D, these cards are very nice. We met you several years ago at the Quincy gathering, and I toured your trailer. If I knew that your trailer was a 1988 at the time, I've certainly forgotten. At any rate, I seem to remember think it was new, so well done!
I had my Escape 5.0TA both times I was at the NorCAL event in Quincy. It was a great event The Scamp is a 1988 and was never there.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had my Escape 5.0TA both times I was at the NorCAL event in Quincy. It was a great event The Scamp is a 1988 and was never there.
OK, this explains why it looked so new! Do you still have both trailers?
Old 06-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post
OK, this explains why it looked so new! Do you still have both trailers?
Yes, I still have both.