FGRVs & Regional Popularity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
FGRVs & Regional Popularity

Hi Folks,
I've been looking around here and elsewhere on-line at FGRVs for sale, as well as reading general conversations here. What I've noticed is that there are tons of these little guys all over Canada and very few in Kansas where I live. I'm wondering if anyone has any theories as to why. Namely, is there something about more mild summers up north compared to the hellfire and damnation summers in the middle of the continent that helps make eggs more popular up in the North woods, eh?
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
You raise a valid point. These trailers do not lend themselves very well to the installation of air-conditioning. The shells are too thin to support roof mounted air. Trillium had a saddle that would spread out the load, but I don't think it was very popular. I live in Calgary. Fibreglass RV's are everywhere. Ontario, Alberta, BC, that seems to be the three provinces that they are most popular in. Maybe you should consider coming up to Canada to shop for a trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I think that the higher gas prices in Canada have always predisposed Canadians to accept lightweight trailers. The gas crisis' and mpg robbing emission controls in the early 70s coincides with when Bolers and Trilliums really started to take off. That's my thought anyway.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Kansas: tornado alley.

Fiberglass egg in Kansas: bowling alley!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Perhaps it's because years ago the two biggest producers were in Canada. Because of the longevity of molded fiberglass most of the ones made back then are still around. I was going to make an analogy to there being more MG's in Britain than North America but I'm not sure they last any longer there than here. . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
So as someone who spent a long time looking for a little fiberglass camper, from what I've seen they are definitely regional.

But you can see that each region of the US seems to have a higher % of one brand or another, really based on what factory is in their region. None of these brands has a dealer network, and a low production volume. So, unless you are willing to have it shipped, or take a road trip, you are likely to find a higher number of campers for the brand in your region. That being said, these campers do seem to spread out throughout the country over a number of years and different owners.

As for us, we recently found a scamp, but it's in the northern part of the country.

During our search, we found three or four decent units in Kansas. None of them had furnaces though, which was a pre-req for us.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
So as someone who spent a long time looking for a little fiberglass camper, from what I've seen they are definitely regional.

But you can see that each region of the US seems to have a higher % of one brand or another, really based on what factory is in their region. None of these brands has a dealer network, and a low production volume. So, unless you are willing to have it shipped, or take a road trip, you are likely to find a higher number of campers for the brand in your region. That being said, these campers do seem to spread out throughout the country over a number of years and different owners.

As for us, we recently found a scamp, but it's in the northern part of the country.

During our search, we found three or four decent units in Kansas. None of them had furnaces though, which was a pre-req for us.
Don't let that turn you away. If you get a built in furnace, not only is it around $400, but it takes up a big storage cupboard. Even our sales guy (when we bought new) said just buy a small heater for it. We have a unit with a fan and thermostat that was $20 or so and heats it up quickly and efficiently. We love it for our spring/fall trips.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
It's true that brands seem to be territorial.

But there are several Snoozys popping up in Oklahoma.

For Casita I would have to go West.
For Scamp I would have to go North.
And for the Park Liner and Snoozy I would have to go East.

Casita was closest in the beginning. But a wise poster made a comment that stuck with me on my quest.

"If distance is a problem, why are you wanting to buy a camper?"

So I made a 1,000 mile trip one way to see the Snoozy factory.
And made another 1,000 mile trip to pick it up last week.

There are so many variables, but we just throw it all in the wash and wait for what comes out. lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #9

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Well, Carl, we have Lil Snoozy #151. Fortunately, St. Matthews, SC wasn't so far away for us. I suspect Lil Snoozy is more likely to be found in areas without terribly extreme winters. I have no intention of seeking out cold weather while camping, so that is just fine with me. We are heading to the Egg Camper Rally in Townsend, TN this weekend. Can't wait!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I found another Snoozy in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

I know there are Casitas around. I've seen some on Craigslist.
But Texas is closer than SC.

I would have bought a Snoozy if it was made next door once I made up my mind which one suited my style. Wish I could go to the rally in Tennessee. I'll have to work my way into the Rally Circuits. Still having to babysit m-i-l........lol.

I've always wanted to go on a winter vacation.
I'm not a skier, but I really liked Michigan in the winter when I was driving a truck for a local company. Now pulling a camper with a pickup, that may be another story. That was decades ago, so I may not like it in my old age.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Perhaps it's because years ago the two biggest producers were in Canada. Because of the longevity of molded fiberglass most of the ones made back then are still around. Raz
That pretty well explains it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
If you want one bad enough you will drive there, or like Thom did, have it delivered. I was giving alot of serious thought about buying a new scamp 13, and was going to pick it up over out xmas break. My mom looked at me and said "remember the movie "Grumpy Old Men" thats where it was filmed and you want to drive a brand new camper back to Jersey?" I was real serious about it till I found my ParkLiner which worked alot better for me(location and price and style)

Alot of people want "big" I am limited to a 3500lb tow capacity and refuse to get a bigger tv just because the majority of stick builts are too heavy for me. And I have friends who have owned them and have done extensive repair work for leak problems. Im familiar with fiberglass and can work with it and its light and small in size which is what I was looking for. I do kind of like the look of the escape 17... but am happy with what I have. Maybe (but would like to drive one first, and obviously would need a pickup) but the 5th wheel version looks real nice for full time living in and Ive heard they tow real nice... but prefer the look of a travel trailer.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
ok city craigslist, has a 13' scamp, 4700, no ac. It was on my phone, so no link.
69 boler in kc, no ac
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote