Fiamma Awning! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
BOBSMITH's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Posts: 729
Well, we just got back from our latest trip in our Casita. Once again we had a disaster befall our Fiamma awning. I've had to face the fact that these things are just poorly designed. As soon as it's in the budget, I'm going to remove it and have it replaced with a decent awning system.

The problem this time was almost a carbon copy of a previous incident. A cloudburst caught us by surprise. Water pooled in the awning within an instant and caused the central rafter to snap in half, then the right leg of the awning also snapped off. The last time it was the left leg of the awning. Both times it resulted in a small perforation when the awning caved in and hit the metal joint. Now we have two matching perforations--one on the right and one on the left.

In both cases I was able to repair the legs and get the awning up. But now the awning is torn on either side and bent on either side. It still works, but I now have to nudge it on either end to get it to roll completely into the housing.

These awning are just a terrible design. Time for this one to go.
__________________

__________________
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
Sorry you've had such a problem with your awning.

I personally never have with one leg of the awning much shorter than the other allowing the water to drain. One time I went out and lowered both legs so the tremendous rain would simply run off the entire awning. One other time I bit the bullet and went out into the rain to wind the awning in. Then when the storms subsided I opened the awning to let it dry.
__________________

__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bill MacDermod's Avatar
 
Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Posts: 611
You have been the first that has had any major catastrophies that I have heard of in my 6 years of reading these forums. most complaints come from folks not being able to roll them all the way in and having to wrap a bungy around them, some others have had to replace (including me) the knuckles on the top of the legs because we didn't know how to fold the legs up right. most everybody lowers one leg to let the water run off. If you broke the middle brace it was set up too flat and allowed way too much water to puddle up I always roll the awning in if it gets windy or gusty. Biggest problem I've seen is folks winding their awning up with trash on top resulting in pin holes. I don't agree that they are a bad design but they certainly have their limits. On our maiden voyage back 6 or 7 years ago we were in the Fl keys and a storm came up and a motor home beside us lost a very expensive electric awning so these accidents don't happen just to el-cheapo's. They were not there when the storm came up.
__________________
Love being Inneggsile
heading sloowly up the eastcoast to our next 2 month (Aug and Sept) camp hosting gig at Camden Hills State Park in Maine
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BOBSMITH's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Posts: 729
Quote:
You have been the first that has had any major catastrophies that I have heard of in my 6 years of reading these forums. most complaints come from folks not being able to roll them all the way in and having to wrap a bungy around them, some others have had to replace (including me) the knuckles on the top of the legs because we didn't know how to fold the legs up right. most everybody lowers one leg to let the water run off. If you broke the middle brace it was set up too flat and allowed way too much water to puddle up I always roll the awning in if it gets windy or gusty. Biggest problem I've seen is folks winding their awning up with trash on top resulting in pin holes. I don't agree that they are a bad design but they certainly have their limits. On our maiden voyage back 6 or 7 years ago we were in the Fl keys and a storm came up and a motor home beside us lost a very expensive electric awning so these accidents don't happen just to el-cheapo's. They were not there when the storm came up.
Nope. I always keep one leg lower than the other one. Always. In addition, I bought the umbrella type central rafter from Fiamma after the first one snapped off. That was, I thought, an extra bonus to keep water from pooling. How wrong I was.

I have to wonder about a company that tells you up front that their awning shouldn't be left open. If that's the case...what the heck are they for??!! And why do they sell kits to turn their awnings into rooms if they admit to the buyer that they're so fragile that they shouldn't be left open in the rain and/or wind?

Plus, I had total fits buying the replacement rafter when the first one snapped like a dry twig. No RV dealer in this area (Charlotte NC) even knew what a Fiamma was or how to get parts for them. Fiamma finally agreed to sell me the rafter, but only after their approved Florida dealer also didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I called down there to order the part. At that point, Fiamma relented and allowed me to order it direct.

As I said, though, the second my budget will allow for the purchase I'm taking the Fiamma awning off and buying anther brand.

__________________
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chris Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Posts: 412
Registry
Personally, I think the Fiamma awning is great. Sure is better than the one I had on my Scamp. Took 2 men to set it up. Once I had the whole awning flip up on top of the trailer. bent the heck out of the mounting and the case but I was able to bend all back into reasonable shape. Since then, it staked down well when it's out. Of course I know to slant it to be sure the rain rolls off.
Let us know what you get and how you like it.
__________________
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bob... I don't know if they will fit on a Casita or not but we sure love the Carefree of Colorado Awning on "Our Escape Hatch" 5.0!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
tip_o___the_Bruce.jpg  
__________________
Alf S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
There is not an awning made that can stand up to high winds! Not one! I have seen more of them, get bent, tore, blown off. Not even the automatic open close ones can take high winds when the stupid and YES, I mean stupid rv owner stakes it down, then just for extra measure ties it to the picnic bench................... HELLO, Think for a moment what happened to that awning and million dollar coach? Well the automatic motor blew up trying to pull the awning in, the stakes finally gave way, but the rope attached to the picnic table held really good. So good that it bounced the picnic table into the million dollar coach a few times before someone ( my workcamper) could climb up on the picnic table and ride it till others (Me and a 15 year old kid) could come help save what was left of the side of the coach. All this should have never happend, Cause I posted signs everywhere that weather is unperdictable and that if a guest was out of the resort they should pull in their awnings. His answer to me when he returned 4 hours later was, its automatic! hmmm, Really! Love working with the genral public.................................

Bob, I don't mean to make light of your awning issue, but have to say they are, what they are. So thats probably why the company makes no claims to being able to hold up to weather. Their way of getting around it, is that an awning is made for shade nothing more.
__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,252
Your awning says Fiamma 75 or something like that, right!!!

It's the same case awning Casita has been putting on for years but now with a name change and the fabric. It used to be the A&E Horizon which I see now sold at Camping World as the Dometic Horizon awning. And then to take it a little further the Carefree of Colorado is basically the same awning except the wand mechanism is in the back rather than the front.

The parts are all the same except for the wand and it's mating parts with the Carefree being odd man out. So you may have been able to get parts through Dometic or Carefree for the legs and rafter.

A bit of information: I once ran into a person in the awning business and during conversation he said that basically ALL awning parts are made by Fiamma and then others get the parts and make up their awnings with different fabrics selling them under their particular label. This ALL awnings include the ones on every other RV.
__________________
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 29
Post

Quote:
Nope. I always keep one leg lower than the other one. Always. In addition, I bought the umbrella type central rafter from Fiamma after the first one snapped off. That was, I thought, an extra bonus to keep water from pooling. How wrong I was.

I have to wonder about a company that tells you up front that their awning shouldn't be left open. If that's the case...what the heck are they for??!! And why do they sell kits to turn their awnings into rooms if they admit to the buyer that they're so fragile that they shouldn't be left open in the rain and/or wind?

Plus, I had total fits buying the replacement rafter when the first one snapped like a dry twig. No RV dealer in this area (Charlotte NC) even knew what a Fiamma was or how to get parts for them. Fiamma finally agreed to sell me the rafter, but only after their approved Florida dealer also didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I called down there to order the part. At that point, Fiamma relented and allowed me to order it direct.

As I said, though, the second my budget will allow for the purchase I'm taking the Fiamma awning off and buying anther brand.

Awnings should never be left extended, when the occupant is absent from the trailer. Wind, rain, etc. can and will develop at a moments notice and can damage an extended awning. If you are looking for an awning that can safely be left extended, they do not exist. Check any awning manufacturer's web site and they will all recfommend retracting the awning when the occupant is not with the RV. Fiamma awnings appear to be an excellent design and when used as designed will provide excellent service.
__________________
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 509
I can not agree that the Fiamma is a bad design.

If you have problems with yours, it is the user and not the design.

When I set up for a few days stay, I put out my awning, stake it to the ground (after parking properly), add RX's wind screen, add RX's deflapper, and it stays up with no problems in winds up to 30 MPH. I don't lower one leg for the rain, I just set it up properly with the 'deflapper' and that takes care of preventing water pooling.

I do pay attemtion to my weather radio just to make sure there are no tornados in the area which I believe would damage anyones awning.

Here we are at 2008 Matagorda Madness - with awning, wind screen, deflapper, and tie-downs. You can tell by the wind screen the wind is blowing pretty hard.


Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1977__Medium_.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	20345


Edit to add:

OBTW, I forgot about the tent poles that prevent streching the awning when the deflapper strap is in place.
__________________
CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BOBSMITH's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Posts: 729
Quote:
Bob, I don't mean to make light of your awning issue, but have to say they are, what they are. So thats probably why the company makes no claims to being able to hold up to weather. Their way of getting around it, is that an awning is made for shade nothing more.
That's okay.

There were no high winds involved. Only rain. This Fiamma awning just can't handle rain. I had the awning tilted down, one leg lower than the other, umbrella rafter, legs secured with stakes, etc. It's just a very flimsy unreliable piece of equipment.
__________________
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
BOBSMITH's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Posts: 729
[quote]I can not agree that the Fiamma is a bad design.

If you have problems with yours, it is the user and not the design.


Attachment 20345


WRONG!

It's a lousy awning.
__________________
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BOBSMITH's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Posts: 729
Quote:
Fiamma awnings appear to be an excellent design and when used as designed will provide excellent service.
I disagree completely.

They're a poor, flimsy design.
__________________
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
shane n's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
Posts: 130
IMHO The fiamma is a fine built quality awning. I have had mine up in monsoon downpours and 40 mph gust's. I always use a strap and tilt it in the rain, the more the rain the more the tilt. The only problem I had was the leaking between the awning and the coach and I fixed that with RV gutter and silicone. Any awning will fail if not used correctly. The Fiamma is about the best choice there is for a Casita.
__________________

__________________
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiamma - Florida Screen Room Bigfoot Mike Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 03-27-2012 07:50 PM
Communicating with the Fiamma Folk BOBSMITH General Chat 12 06-11-2009 07:55 AM
Removed Fiamma Awning BOBSMITH Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 6 06-09-2009 08:31 AM
adding Awning rail and awning to Surfside ericmarlo Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-16-2008 12:01 AM
Pain in the Fiamma BOBSMITH General Chat 11 04-03-2007 04:37 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.