Fiberglass and cold weather - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Fiberglass and cold weather

In the past couple of days, because of cold weather, I broke a handle on a bucket, the hinges on my cooler lid, and this morning I broke the spoiler on the back of my car. So I wondered this before, in extremely cold weather, would I be in danger of the fiberglass flooring of my future RV cracking when I am walking on it in very cold weather. Especially since I am a big guy around 280lbs.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have walked / worked on/in both my Scamp & Casita at temps well below zero F and have not encountered any problems . We had -15 below F this morning with -35 below wind chills and I was out in my Casita working without any issues except my hands and the top of my head got cold. We are getting a heat wave this coming Saturday when temps are expected to jump into the double digits (10 to 12 deg F)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Depends on the thickness and sturdyness of the floor. Anything is possible at your present weight. Thick fiberglass over a thick strong plywood floor that is well braced to the frame would be what I would strive for.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
With the glass strands lending strength, fiberglass is stronger than plastic in such conditions. You should be fine.

Also, keep in mind that not all FG trailers have a FG belly. Of those that do, there's an interior floor overtop that FG belly. I'm not sure if anyone besides Eggcamper coats the top of their wood floor with FG resin. So, I don't think you'll have any problem.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Just wondering, does anyone know if Scamp coats their wood floors ?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp does, but on the bottom, not the top.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
They made snowmobile hoods from fiberglass for years. These survived extreme cold and rough treatment very well. Also, car bodies such as Corvettes were made from fiberglass and they didn't seem to suffer any ill effects due to cold that I'm aware of. I've even known people who live in fiberglass houseboats year around, (bubbler around the hull to keep from freezing in) and they handle it fine.

In Minnesota we know cold. I think you're good.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
My old ventura survived outside since new and we hit -40C or -40F(about the same) on a regular basis. There were a lot of spider cracks but that was probably caused by flexing due to snow load on the flat roof.

Randy, I lived in Duluth and I can agree with your statement about knowing cold! Some of the worst snow storms I have ever been in were in Duluth and yes I know you guys all blame us in Canada for those storms! We do have to send them somewhere you know.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #9

Minnesota
We even have a name for storms you send us David. They're called Alberta Clippers.

Thanks pal. Do you need any mosquitoes?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Ya those are actually sent to us first from... Alaska! No on the mosquitoes unless its an airplane (dehavilland mosquito that is). We get enough of the other kind up here as it is , thanks
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Man View Post
Just wondering, does anyone know if Scamp coats their wood floors ?
I believe its a fiberglass resin only they use to coat the underside. It works. Mines 23 years old and no signs of any underside damage to the trailer using that method and its been towed a lot in all sorts of bad weather. Being on the wet coast its been wet from highway spray on the underside many many times!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I believe its a fiberglass resin only they use to coat the underside. It works. Mines 23 years old and no signs of any underside damage to the trailer using that method and its been towed a lot in all sorts of bad weather. Being on the wet coast its been wet from highway spray on the underside many many times!!

It's the water that gets in from above you have to worry about in a Scamp. But at least you have control of that!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #13

Well we have to send our mosquitos somewhere LOL.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
akwintergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now back in college I had a Kawasaki Ninja. Winter time I wrapped it in a tarp and had it alongside the house I was sharing. Well my roommate was trying to back up hit a patch of ice gunned it and jumped the curb and just bumped into the bike and knocked it over. $2500 worth of fiberglass was replaced...one throttle rubber guard and a footpeg from the fall lol... it just cracked all over from the extreme cold. I am guessing the flooring should be stronger. But yeah I am leery of taking the ParkLiner off roading below freezing temps.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #15

Minnesota
Deryk are you sure the Ninja body panels were made of fiberglass? Many were ABS plastic.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
hmmm don't honestly remember lol was 20 years ago.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
My old ventura survived outside since new and we hit -40C or -40F(about the same) on a regular basis. There were a lot of spider cracks but that was probably caused by flexing due to snow load on the flat roof.

Randy, I lived in Duluth and I can agree with your statement about knowing cold! Some of the worst snow storms I have ever been in were in Duluth and yes I know you guys all blame us in Canada for those storms! We do have to send them somewhere you know.
Yeah, Thanks a lot!

Some of them even make it down here to Florida a few times a winter. Not often but some...But by then they have blown their strength out over the more northern folk and it just means i have to pull on a small fleece over my Tee shirt, but still wearing my shorts and sandals. AAAHHHHHhhhh, our Florida winters.....
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
With the glass strands lending strength, fiberglass is stronger than plastic in such conditions. You should be fine.

Also, keep in mind that not all FG trailers have a FG belly. Of those that do, there's an interior floor overtop that FG belly. I'm not sure if anyone besides Eggcamper coats the top of their wood floor with FG resin. So, I don't think you'll have any problem.
Trillium floors have plywood sandwiched between a layer of fiberglass top and bottom in the main sections. Makes for a very strong floor.

Spanke
Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My 2000 Casita 16' does too-fiberglass top and bottom.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
hmmm don't honestly remember lol was 20 years ago.
My Yamaha RZ350 had no fibreglass, only polycarbonate panels. Not much fun to ride in the winter, but that didn't stop me.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote