Fiberglass bottom or wood in the Pacific Northwet? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Ed, what a deal! Glad you got that water out of there. Sounds as if it was a big repair job for you.

We have an Escape and I will have to ask where the holes or channels are to let out water as I know they exist. Trilliums are the twins to certain Escape models. Escape actually made some of the Trilliums for a short time. I think Trilliums have such holes now but maybe yours did not.

I wonder how someone can tell when water starts to get in a window. Seems as if you would be pretty far along on it when found, if it is found where you had it.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Ed, what a deal! Glad you got that water out of there. Sounds as if it was a big repair job for you.

We have an Escape and I will have to ask where the holes or channels are to let out water as I know they exist. Trilliums are the twins to certain Escape models. Escape actually made some of the Trilliums for a short time. I think Trilliums have such holes now but maybe yours did not.

I wonder how someone can tell when water starts to get in a window. Seems as if you would be pretty far along on it when found, if it is found where you had it.
Cathy
In both cases I found the water right after buying the trailer used.
So I had not really begun any of my own projects really,the water became my first project both times.

Both Trill of mine were from the original Trillium line which pre-dates the Escape and New Trillium companies by 25 years at least.

I have not heard of drain holes in the older ones but it also was not a big deal to make them but the hard part was what to do with the holes once the water was gone and the trailer dried out?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #23

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ed

I had the old style Land cruiser. It had std. thickness metal floors. water drain holes in the floors in a corner catch all depression. the hole had a rubber plug about 3/8th inch thick with a groove around the edge. the plugs could be easily removed, drain the water out, (caused by rain, or washing, or driving through the deeper creek) put the plugs back in place. rubber plugs like that could be found at rubber parts dealers??? The diameter of the holes was about 3/4s of an inch.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Lil Snoozy should be quite good for wet climates. Fiberglass all around.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Whether one or the other, the important thing to remember is to NOT delay water intrusion maintenance issues. My 24 year old Scamp has no floor rot problems and heaven knows I camp in the rain and drive in the rain, etc. In fact, did it just this past weekend.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Choose the trailer that you like the best, not because it has a plywood under side or a fiberglass one. It just doesn't matter, both can have problems .
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Choose the trailer that you like the best, not because it has a plywood under side or a fiberglass one. It just doesn't matter, both can have problems .
Absolutely, absolutely true story. Thanks for reminding us Tim
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote