Fiberglass Campers from the past - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #15
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Donna, you THINK the world has fallen into the instant gratification mode. I am convinced it is already there and has been for a number of years. I am a senior citizen and an rv is about the only escape left from I have got more adult toys than you bunch. But even that is getting overrun with the take everything with em crowd and the 45 ft bulgies with eighteen slides and five tv's so they don't have to go out and converse with the trailer trash in those little rv's. I am just kidding as I really don't give a hoot and everthing goes in cycles. I stilll believe the cost of fuel is going to make a huge change in the rv world over the next five years. Martin

Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #16
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
No mystery about the demise of UHaul eggs. UHaul had about 1200 units built in the mid-1980s, for a new venture: RV rentals! The eggs were designed to be low-maintenance for UHaul dealers and renter-proof rugged. Only problem: the public wasn't interested. In 1992, after losing about $17 million on the venture, UHaul shut down the RV rental program and sold off their rolling stock. UHaul eggs are fairly uncommon today, but they still set a high standard for low maintenance and ruggedness.

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #17
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Getting back to the topic, our first fiberglass RV was a 13ft Compact II, the one with the pop top and the door in the rear. I don't remember the year it was produced, but we bought it in 1975 and traveled through more than 40 of the 48 in the next two years.

The tow was a very worn Peugeot 404 wagon. Once when stopped for road construction in the Rockies, the road crew had to give us a "hand" to get us started back up the mountain.

It's deficiencies were no-insulation, extremely limited cooking facilities, same for general storage, too large a bed and a weak frame. It was also very square, though quite low with top down. The rear door was the dirtiest place on the trailer and not only could you not open it without getting your hand dirty, but it didn't seal too well and much of it came in and blew around inside while traveling, especially on dirt roads.

Our Scamp is quite a step up, in my opinion. But it is heavier and larger and towing it with the old Peugeot would not be very advisable.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #18
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning the stuff on the floor -- I wonder whether you aren't driving good, or if you are packing too much along.

Concerning enduring damp, cold weather in a small RV -- that's the beauty of a small RV, you can change climate most times in about a day or two. On those other times, we pull up stakes, find a trailer court in a large town or small city and do librarys, museums, malls, etc. for a few days until the weather clears up.

Sometimes we head for the ocean during stormy weather. The Scamp is quite cozy after an afternoon chasing driftwood tossed up on the beach during a storm.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
One problem with the manufacture of FGRVs is the FG: Boler reportedly shut down partly due to the lack of skilled tradespeople who can do that kind of work. Easier to rivet some aluminum together.

And I agree with the posters who say many people think bigger= better. Most don't realize a new FGRV would be an upgrade to their stickie of whatever year, make or size.

I also agree with those who say FGRV people go "camping" while massive slideouts go to an RV to "park." I couldn't believe it when a big rig would pull in, electronically level, then never mind having a walk along the river or making a fire, they didn't even bother to slide out the slideouts, just started watchin' TV.... To each their own, I guess.

And FGRVs are not disposable, they are liquid assets with little or no depreciation, not a throw-away kind of consumer item. Not everyone wants the -- hmm, commitment!

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote