Fiberglass Campers from the past - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Ok, I have a question. I love my Scamp, but am wondering why so many fiberglass camper companies are a thing of the past? I just saw the Pacer on the other thread with those huge side windows. The Burro's are no longer being made either as are some of the other oldies. My question is WHY? Don't most people like the fiberglass campers as well as we do. I would love to see more of a selection out there. I love those bigger windows!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Many members with much more experience than I will no doubt have insightful answers, but I think it's quite simple:
No, most people don't like the fiberglass campers as well as we do. They may think they're "cute", but they want more room, more equipment, and just plain more, especially when it can be had for not much more money. Despite the continuous and almost universal whining about fuel costs, many people also drive a much larger vehicle than they need (or will switch to one in order to tow a trailer), so they have the capacity for that bigger trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
We have "Camping" trailers. Others have RVs. Does that make sense?

We qualify for the RV label, our trailers have all the same things the big boys have (For the most part) but outside of a few rogue single folks traveling about (Andy and Pete come to mind) they are not the sort of thing most folks want for long long times out and about.

Ours go to campgrounds more than RV parks, I would venture to guess, and we are more likely to be seen outside by the fire or getting dirty than the big boys. The toy haulers, obviously, appeal to the dirt eaters, but you notice most of the ammenities are situated just like at home.. with all the toys.

For the "campers", some just don't think having hard sides is really camping, so the pop up is very popular. Somehow the canvas makes them think they are more in nature.. even tho an open window (Or 4) gives me the same feeling.

Having "RVed" in mine recently, I can tell you I felt grossly inadequate for the traveling hotel room theory. Tho I never unhooked on my overnites, I still had to hassle with minor set up and found myself somewhat jealous of the bigger folks that can carry thier own water, have thier dishes and anteneas permanently attached, and they didn't have to offload their floors into the car to be able to get in thier trailers.

Being trapped inside because of weather for long periods was not a real joy either. I was fine, but I worried about my two dogs. The Burro isn't much bigger than an average dog kennel at the pet hotel. They got LOTS pf walks and got to go bye bye, but they paid for it inbetween the "fun".
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Face it. Fiberglass trailers are a niche market. Competition is fierce. It's as simple as that.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Actually from most accounts I've heard, the FGRV market is thriving. There are only four major manufacturers, and they're really not in competition with one another as they're far-flung thoughout the U.S. and Canada. All of them have a huge backlog of orders, and they're all "mom & pop" kinds of operations, turning out trailers to order without dealer networks (Bigfoot excepted). None of them have a lack of demand. The used market is as strong as it's ever been. We're actually seeing appreciation in some of the used trailers now. With Scamp out of business for a while, the demand is going to be even stronger. Further, with rising oil prices and smaller cars and trucks being the order of the day again, the market will continue to grow. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the general RV market this spring with fuel prices remaining over $2 in the U.S.

It's my understanding that most of the manufacturers have gone out of business because they didn't have a successful business model. The products were saleable, and typically the sales portion went well, but they were typically underfunded, had poor marketing, they overextended financing, had supplier problems, or had some other issue with their business plan (or lack of business plan) that caused them not to be viable in the long term.

There are many, many facets to the business side of building a fiberglass RV, and they all have to be developed and grown simultaneously. If you have an otherwise successful product but fail to properly develop the marketing model, or the financing runs out, or whatever... the business fails. That's what happened to most of them.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
For example Reace over here @ Escape trailers is expanding so fast he has had to take time away from participating at last weekends local RV show here to train NEW staff and help enlarge is current facility. (Must ne NICE, eh?)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it also has to do with a misconception of getting the "biggest bang for the buck." Most people have never seen an egg, or if they did it was from affar and didn't really know anything about what they were seeing. Given a choice when spending $16,000, most individuals would think "bigger." The idea of spending the same amount of money and getting "smaller" just doesn't make sense to a lot of people. But, then again, those people don't know anything about fiberglass trailers, how well they're built, nor the problems they are going to run into with their stickies.

Business' can rapidly go out of business for many reasons, but the big three reasons are 1) Lack of financial backing, 2) Poor management, 3) Poor marketing. We know number 3 wouldn't necessarily apply for egg manufacturers as long as the business worked on balancing the supply and demand and making certain there was always more Demand than Supply.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
The guy from whom I bought my Casita had had two pop-ups and two fifth wheels. The pop-ups wore out and both the fifth wheels developed serious roof leaks within the first six months that he owned them. He only sold me the Casita because he is seriously ill (cancer) and couldn't take it out anymore.

I am certain that this trailer is going to be the last trailer I'll ever need. They don't wear out if you take care of them, unlike stickies that shake apart no matter how well you care for them.

My father-in-law had a really nice trailer and treated it with kid gloves. But it developed roof leaks even as well cared for as it was.

I did my research and I just did not want anything but a fiberglass trailer.

I'm glad the fiberglass market is doing well, and I hope it continues to do well.

You're right: if the fuel situation gets worse, then more people are going to want a trailer they can pull with a V6, or which won't cost them an arm and a leg to pull. I talked to a fellow on one of my routes who told me he can't take his trailer out very much, now, because the price of gas got so high.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
I talked to a fellow on one of my routes who told me he can't take his trailer out very much, now, because the price of gas got so high.
This is really a fallacy that people have created for themselves. The only campers that get really hurt badly by fuel prices are folks who are travelling lots of miles annually. Of course folks with gas hog tow vehicles and heavy trailers are hurt worse, but the total additional expense of towing an RV over driving an unladen tow vehicle still isn't all that bad.

The majority of campers usually camp within a hundred miles of home except for those few long vacation trips that get taken annually. I'd guess that most folks pull/drive their RVs less than 2,000 miles/year. If you only get 15mpg unladen with your tow vehicle, those 2,000 miles will cost you $286 in gas at $2.15. If you get 10 mpg towing, those 2,000 miles towing your trailer will cost you an additional $144. (BTW, these are the numbers I get pulling my 34' Airstream with a V10 Excursion). If you get more mileage and your spread is less, the towing mpg penalty will be significantly less, typically in the $100 range.

For the great majority of the RV owning public, the additional $144 to pull their RV 2,000 miles recreationally for an entire camping season is not going to force them into bankruptcy. That same $144 might get you a one-night hotel stay in New York City or Chicago in a decent hotel (on a weekend special)! Folks who buy a new stickie and a new tow vehicle lose $10,000 a year (or more) in depreciation for the first three years they own the combo. Why would they worry about $144 in gas?

Yes, fuel is expensive for daily driving, but the expense of pulling an RV still isn't as signficant as folks want to make it out to be, if you do the math. The trick is to be fuel efficient in every day use, and then to enjoy your camper whenever you can!

Roger
Old 02-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Donna D, I think you hit the proverbial "nail on the head". There are a number of reasons that these companies go out of business but - with so many prospective purchasers thinking that "if it is bigger and cheaper then its gotta be a deal and lets go for it" - the small fiberglas trailer is always going to be a niche market I know they are not very suited to more than two adults but when I observe what size rv it takes for many two people entities to go rving or camping I never ceased to be amazed. Although we started rving with larger trailers we slowly over 25 years purchased smaller and smaller units and the happier we became. Our Casita is a means to an end not the purpose itself. We want to see all we can and the small rv is an economical and hugely convienent way to accomplish our goals. To each his own but the better half and I found our rv answer. Martin
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #11

Roger, I used to own an Airstream 25 and you are correct about the fuel costs not keeping most people from using their units at least for the short haul. I guess somewhere in the past my partner in life and I evaluated the total cost to own what ever rv we were into at that time. If you really do the numbers it rarely is less expenseive than the hotel/motel route. To make a short story long we sold the rv and after a year decided the stinkin hotel rooms were not for us. My point - the small fiberglas rv is pretty competive from a cost aspect vs other modes of travel. While the Airstreams and other high end rv's are certainly nice you will never convince me they are economical considering the level of maintenance, depreciation even if moderate (based on the high cost when puchased) the extra fuel costs, the cost of a larger more poweful tug, taxes, licensing and insurance etc. - it all adds up - I understand where your coming from but the small fiberglas rv is a great alternative and the better half and I just don't require 34 ft to go rving - but being satisfied is what it is all about.. Martin
Old 02-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #12

Martin, I think it's a matter of a difference in philosophy. I'd suggest that for most of us who own fiberglass RVs it's the journey that is important, not the destination.

And, you're right. You'll never save money travelling with an RV. You just spend it more efficiently! And, even if a 34' strikes your fancy, they can be bought and used with efficient spending. Ours is a '94 and the Excursion is a 2000. We bought them both used, and have had them now for three years. We paid less for the combo than for a new Excursion, and less then half for the combo than for a new trailer alone!

They have currently depreciated very little; frankly the trailer may have appreciated enough to cover the depreciation on the Excursion. When we go to sell, all we'll have been out is the interest on the money we borrowed and the maintenance on the combo. Not bad, if I do say so m'self!

Roger
Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the world has fallen into the Instant Gratification mode too. People don't generally save money for ANYTHING, nor are they will to wait months to get a trailer. We all know how difficult it is to find a good, used egg anywhere close to home, no matter where you live. I can see people in April thinking "hey,we got some money back on our income tax, let's buy an RV and go camping this summer." That's not going to work if someone needs to order a new fiberglass trailer from an egg manufacturer. Hence, the instant gratification....stop in at the local travel trailer dealer and see the hundreds of trailers just sitting there waiting for a buyer.

Being a member of this forum has taught me that egg owners are generally more patient and are quite often DIY people. Stickie folk want to take their trailers in for service, that's why the service bays at Camping World are always busy...and not just with motorhomes either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #14

Roger. exactly - but I still like those Airstreams - well out to buy the lottery ticket. Martin
Old 02-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #15

Donna, you THINK the world has fallen into the instant gratification mode. I am convinced it is already there and has been for a number of years. I am a senior citizen and an rv is about the only escape left from I have got more adult toys than you bunch. But even that is getting overrun with the take everything with em crowd and the 45 ft bulgies with eighteen slides and five tv's so they don't have to go out and converse with the trailer trash in those little rv's. I am just kidding as I really don't give a hoot and everthing goes in cycles. I stilll believe the cost of fuel is going to make a huge change in the rv world over the next five years. Martin
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #16

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
No mystery about the demise of UHaul eggs. UHaul had about 1200 units built in the mid-1980s, for a new venture: RV rentals! The eggs were designed to be low-maintenance for UHaul dealers and renter-proof rugged. Only problem: the public wasn't interested. In 1992, after losing about $17 million on the venture, UHaul shut down the RV rental program and sold off their rolling stock. UHaul eggs are fairly uncommon today, but they still set a high standard for low maintenance and ruggedness.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Getting back to the topic, our first fiberglass RV was a 13ft Compact II, the one with the pop top and the door in the rear. I don't remember the year it was produced, but we bought it in 1975 and traveled through more than 40 of the 48 in the next two years.

The tow was a very worn Peugeot 404 wagon. Once when stopped for road construction in the Rockies, the road crew had to give us a "hand" to get us started back up the mountain.

It's deficiencies were no-insulation, extremely limited cooking facilities, same for general storage, too large a bed and a weak frame. It was also very square, though quite low with top down. The rear door was the dirtiest place on the trailer and not only could you not open it without getting your hand dirty, but it didn't seal too well and much of it came in and blew around inside while traveling, especially on dirt roads.

Our Scamp is quite a step up, in my opinion. But it is heavier and larger and towing it with the old Peugeot would not be very advisable.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Concerning the stuff on the floor -- I wonder whether you aren't driving good, or if you are packing too much along.

Concerning enduring damp, cold weather in a small RV -- that's the beauty of a small RV, you can change climate most times in about a day or two. On those other times, we pull up stakes, find a trailer court in a large town or small city and do librarys, museums, malls, etc. for a few days until the weather clears up.

Sometimes we head for the ocean during stormy weather. The Scamp is quite cozy after an afternoon chasing driftwood tossed up on the beach during a storm.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
One problem with the manufacture of FGRVs is the FG: Boler reportedly shut down partly due to the lack of skilled tradespeople who can do that kind of work. Easier to rivet some aluminum together.

And I agree with the posters who say many people think bigger= better. Most don't realize a new FGRV would be an upgrade to their stickie of whatever year, make or size.

I also agree with those who say FGRV people go "camping" while massive slideouts go to an RV to "park." I couldn't believe it when a big rig would pull in, electronically level, then never mind having a walk along the river or making a fire, they didn't even bother to slide out the slideouts, just started watchin' TV.... To each their own, I guess.

And FGRVs are not disposable, they are liquid assets with little or no depreciation, not a throw-away kind of consumer item. Not everyone wants the -- hmm, commitment!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote