Fiberglass Cupboards, Rough On Interior? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
On the upper cupboards of a Scamp, the rear wall and roof is covered with rat fur. I think there are smooth cards for the cupboard ends to cover additional wiring for lighting, and a smooth floor card as well... at least that's what I do on a rehab, then add that rubbery mesh shelf liner.
Ozite is a great choice for this purpose and can be cut with scissors to fit.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Thanks Donna D. and Everyone! My biggest concern was small fibers. I got into fiberglass the other day messing with a furnace intake filter so it was fresh on my mind. My antenna went up "Fiberglass ouch!". And, yes, I knew better but spaced out for a second and that is all it took. Not as bad as cactus though, not nearly as bad.
Cathy you're talking of two separate uses of fiberglass. One is loose fibers and the other is resin saturated. The only way you may have any itching from an egg is if you cut into the fiberglass to cause new/loose fibers to get airborne. You're really worrying about a non issue.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Personally, I did not like the "unfinished" floor of the upper cabinets nor of the lower cabinets nor inside the benches because I felt the items rattling around in there would get scratched and worn while the trailer was in transit.

My simple solution was to take a basic camping sleeping pad (often blue) made of enclosed foam ($7-20) and cut it to size. Stansport Pack-Lite Camping Pad - Walmart.com You could also use an exercise or yoga mat. I placed the cut foam on the floor of each space (no need for adhesive) and my problem was solved, no excess wear and it's attractive. A bonus is that when we "throw" stuff into the bench hatch the sound is dampened.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I wasn't aware of Ozite but googled it and it looks interesting. And, cutting the pads to make liners is a good idea as that would give both the stored stuff and the floor some extra protection. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There were some strong positives and strong negatives about my ParkLiner. One of the negatives was the rough, unfinished cabinet interiors.

Walt
Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #20

Name: Wado
Trailer: 74 Boler 13
British Columbia
All of my 74 Boler cabinets were rough fiberglass. Very rough. Inch long resin coated needles poking around in the lower cabinets. Weren't itchy but I would routinely stab myself on them or a sleeping bag would get caught and tear. Had to pull the cabinets out, knock all the fibers down and then painted them. Now they are a nice smooth white finish.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #21

SW Virginia
It's not practical to pull the cabinets in a Parkliner. They are fiberglassed into the trailer walls.

Walt
Old 04-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #22

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
It's not practical to pull the cabinets in a Parkliner. They are fiberglassed into the trailer walls.Walt
That's strange Walt. I have done a bunch of work in my Parkliner cabinets, glassing in wood for door openers, running TV cable, etc, and can't remember any fiberglass "attacks." I have been doing 'glass stuff for decades (boats), so I do know of what you speak.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #23

SW Virginia
Frank
I'm not clear on your point. I'm not claiming "fiberglass attack", just that the inside of the cabinets is rough or unfinished and I personally didn't care for that. And then in response to Wado I pointed out that the cabinets are not attached to the walls by fasteners but instead are fiberglassed in, and so couldn't be "pulled" to facilitate further finishing, like painting.

Walt
Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #24

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The same can be said of Trillium cabinets. They are glued in, so not so easy to remove. The bottoms and outside wall of the cabinets above the sink are lined with Ensolite.