Fiberglass Cupboards, Rough On Interior? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fiberglass Cupboards, Rough On Interior?

I am looking across the board at the different manufacturers and I was wondering, when the cupboards are fiberglass, gel-coated on the outside but on the inside, itchy rough fiberglass? I was thinking that if clothing, blankets, etc. contacted with it that it might pick up fibers. Could this be a concern? "Itchy" and me don't get along. Thanks!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I do not think you will not find the rough itchy fiberglass on the inside of any of the fiberglass walls at least I have never seen that on any of the fiberglass trialer brands I have looked at. The rough itchy fiberglass matting that is used to make the walls is covered in resin and in some cases a smooth gelcoat on one side or the other. So the inside of the cupboards may be very smooth or some cases it may be a bit dimpled in appearance and touch but NOT rough so that something could snag on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Gee, I would have to look at ours, but job stuff means I won't be home till late. I honestly can't remember that ever being a problem as long as we've had the trailer, even for all the work I've chosen to do inside those cabinets.

Maybe somebody else (or a bunch of folks!) will pop in here.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The inside of the cupboards is unfinished fibreglass. It may be rough, but I doubt it will cause any itch.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In my case clothes are generally not put into cupboards directly. The kitchen cabinets have kitchen stuff in them. The overhead at each end and misc. stuff in them. The lockers below the the dinette on the street side has sleeping bags in stuff sacks, The closet has a few hanging outerwear items, coats, sweatshirts, etc., with duffel bags below for t-shirts, underwear, and socks. The outer walls of all cabinets has rat fur (marine head liner) on them.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The inside of the cupboards is unfinished fibreglass. It may be rough, but I doubt it will cause any itch.
When you say unfinished are you saying the Trilliums are rough with fiberglass matting touchable? where one can get a scratch or sliver from them if they brush up on them?

or is it just resin on the inside with no gelcoat on them as Scamps are?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Just resin. No sharp edges, just rough surface.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some of the Uhauls that did not get the cabinet or storage liners will have rough unfinished fiberglass in those areas
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Oh the horror!

You could just cover those surfaces with something - either fabric (mouse fur) or shelf paper, or something.

In the areas under the seats, it appears I have a rough surface, but it's not raw. Looks epoxy coated to me. All my upper cabinets have gelcoated interiors.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

I guess if it didn't meet my "standards", I could put some sort of liner on the interior like the silver bubble insulation, felt, something like that.

It is hard changing from stick to fiberglass since I am SO familiar with stick.

If you know what to expect, even if it isn't great, it is easier than dealing with the unknown.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that most of us still "Line" our shelves at home. Just do the same in your FGRV...
You wouldn't want all those fiberglass egg bugs to get out would you?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that most of us still "Line" our shelves at home. Just do the same in your FGRV...
You wouldn't want all those fiberglass egg bugs to get out would you?
I prefer most bugs out before I get it and that's one reason I have been looking for used. We have always bought used vehicles and never regretted that. If I buy new, I have pretty much decided on the EggCamper. I just need to get brave enough to make "the call". I don't like to make a wrong decision so I over think everything.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You can fix the roughness pretty easy with a coat of paint. I would expect the "back" wall would have some sort of insulation material, but perhaps not the other sides of the cabinets.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #14

Thanks Donna D. and Everyone! My biggest concern was small fibers. I got into fiberglass the other day messing with a furnace intake filter so it was fresh on my mind. My antenna went up "Fiberglass ouch!". And, yes, I knew better but spaced out for a second and that is all it took. Not as bad as cactus though, not nearly as bad.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
On the upper cupboards of a Scamp, the rear wall and roof is covered with rat fur. I think there are smooth cards for the cupboard ends to cover additional wiring for lighting, and a smooth floor card as well... at least that's what I do on a rehab, then add that rubbery mesh shelf liner.
Ozite is a great choice for this purpose and can be cut with scissors to fit.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Thanks Donna D. and Everyone! My biggest concern was small fibers. I got into fiberglass the other day messing with a furnace intake filter so it was fresh on my mind. My antenna went up "Fiberglass ouch!". And, yes, I knew better but spaced out for a second and that is all it took. Not as bad as cactus though, not nearly as bad.
Cathy you're talking of two separate uses of fiberglass. One is loose fibers and the other is resin saturated. The only way you may have any itching from an egg is if you cut into the fiberglass to cause new/loose fibers to get airborne. You're really worrying about a non issue.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Personally, I did not like the "unfinished" floor of the upper cabinets nor of the lower cabinets nor inside the benches because I felt the items rattling around in there would get scratched and worn while the trailer was in transit.

My simple solution was to take a basic camping sleeping pad (often blue) made of enclosed foam ($7-20) and cut it to size. Stansport Pack-Lite Camping Pad - Walmart.com You could also use an exercise or yoga mat. I placed the cut foam on the floor of each space (no need for adhesive) and my problem was solved, no excess wear and it's attractive. A bonus is that when we "throw" stuff into the bench hatch the sound is dampened.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #18

I wasn't aware of Ozite but googled it and it looks interesting. And, cutting the pads to make liners is a good idea as that would give both the stored stuff and the floor some extra protection. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There were some strong positives and strong negatives about my ParkLiner. One of the negatives was the rough, unfinished cabinet interiors.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

Name: Wado
Trailer: 74 Boler 13
British Columbia
All of my 74 Boler cabinets were rough fiberglass. Very rough. Inch long resin coated needles poking around in the lower cabinets. Weren't itchy but I would routinely stab myself on them or a sleeping bag would get caught and tear. Had to pull the cabinets out, knock all the fibers down and then painted them. Now they are a nice smooth white finish.
Wado is offline   Reply With Quote